Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sunday Stills: Things with Wings

Here's a picture I took of a noisy bird perched atop an arena light at the 2009 Western States Horse Expo in Sacramento, California. It was so loud that I couldn't concentrate on what the clinician was saying. It always amazes me how birds can twist their heads all the way around like the Exorcist.

I admit that this next one is cheating. The planes that left those trails in the sky have wings.

I've been working such long hours lately that it's hard to find time just to concentrate on searching for subjects to photograph. I tried to go outside in my pajamas just now to take photos of birds and butterflies, but the neighborhood is pretty much dead when it comes to winged life. I jokingly said to my daughter, "The trick will be to get some pictures in before our nosy neighbor drives past and sees me in my pajamas."

I wasn't even out there 30 seconds, and the woman drove past, so I had to run into the house. 99% of the traffic on our drive is just her driving back and forth, back and forth, like a lost soul who can't figure out where she is or where she's going. It wasn't even 8:00 on a Sunday morning yet. Maybe I should have photographed her since she's always on the move. I wouldn't call it flying, though. This is more like stalking and lurking.

8 comments:

Breathe said...

Maybe she's doing reconnaissance, like one of those spy planes. Then she'd qualify.

An unmanned drone (since it doesn't seem like there is anyone operating that woman...)


:)

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Yes, birds are odd. I get a kick out of the one kind that lifts his feathers to make a really odd sound. It kind of looks like that one. I don't know bird names at all.

Gabbrielle is so pretty there, I'm glad you added that one.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Breathe - Thanks for the laugh. I think I'll start referring to her as "the unmanned drone" now. I've been calling her "the wicked witch of the west", since she appears in a puff of smoke everywhere I do.

Fantastyk - I haven't posted a picture of how Gabbrielle's missing ear tip is looking now-a-days. I'll have to do that. This was an old picture.

allhorsestuff said...

haha!! She does sound to fly around...presky fly she is!
NICE shots today!I like the one with jet trails with you Gabbrielle!
Kac

TCavanaugh said...

Birds can make sounds so much larger than they are! As for your neighbor...I have one like her only mine is a male. Caught him using binoculars in our direction. I asked him about it, he just laughed. By the way, I still go out in my pj's as they cover more than most people wear. :)

Paint Girl said...

Love the Gabbrielle picture! She looks so pretty with the blue sky above her!

Shirley said...

Thet's a good shot of the pesky robin, and Gabbrielle is lovely as usual.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

My PJ's look like my every day clothes, except for they tend to be stretchy cotton with sleeping animals or snowmen on them. lol! I wear them anytime I go to the barn when it's too early to care what I'm wearing. hehe! I don't think any of my neighbors would even notice that they I was wearing PJ's actually.

Nice bird pic, too.
I also like that you included Gabbrielle in your clever plane trails photo. hehe!

Well done :)

~Lisa