Monday, June 1, 2009

Thunderama

After riding Gabbrielle, I wanted to take Bombay over to my neighbor friend's farm to prepare him for the equitation lessons we will start taking there soon. My neighbor had her mares and foals out grazing on the grass when we arrived.

This mare was Bombay's playmate when he was a foal. It turns out that she's very possessive of her foal, so she started doing some threatening posturing toward Bombay as I led him past her foal. I had to holler at her to quit and shoo her away with my lead rope. She kept her ears pinned back, but also kept her distance. I got Bombay safely into the round pen as quickly as possible.

The experience of nearly getting his butt kicked by a girl got Bombay all riled up and he took off at a gallop. Another foal wanted to play with him, so she started running back and forth on the outside of the fence alongside Bombay. We all know that Bombay is quite a character, and he's never going to pass up an opportunity to play, so he took off after her and started herding this little foal the way a cutting horse herds a calf.

I was worried that someone was going to get hurt, so I kept hollering whoa, but Bombay was so enthralled with this game that I had faded into background noise. I was really angry that he was ignoring me, but I was also laughing my butt off at his antics. The foal was having just as much fun as he was. I don't think that Bombay ever grew up, and I'm sure he has no idea that he is a monster compared to this little filly.

Her name is Mona Lisa. I think she smiles too much to be the Mona Lisa. She is one of Lostine's grand babies. Lostine's daughters are much more easygoing about having a strange horse around their foals, so Mama just kept grazing while Bombay was herding her foal around.

This other little girl started rolling and sticking her legs up in the air. It was so cute. I kept snapping photo after photo, but managed to miss the few seconds when she had her legs in the air every time.

I looked around for a step stool to mount Bombay, but it was nowhere to be found. I decided to ride him back at home. Just as I was leaving, my friend came out of her house and I got a chance to talk to her.

Bombay got a little more exercise inside and outside the round pen at home, and then the thunder started booming off in the distance, signaling the end of our ride.

10 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Bombay sounds like my hubbies old gelding , loved to play with the babies!

Callie said...

I'm afraid, I would have been laughing too! Nice pics!

allhorsestuff said...

Oh! I just love your very stunning mare Gabbrielle! Really great to hear of your riding..she doing well?
Yea..thunder is around here as well... fortunately, have not ridden during it yet though.
Bombay...what a playboy!

Katharine Swan said...

How cute! Bombay is a playmate for the babies. Why am I not surprised?

HorseOfCourse said...

Trying to catch up on posts...
When I read your posts and hear how much frustration your neighbours are causing you NM,
I believe the idea to move with your son sounds real good. You also have time to think it over, and check out possibilities, haven't you?
And winter? Personally I prefer to ride out a cold winter day instead of a hot summer day. Snow and ice is no problem, we work the horses all winter here.
I hope you can find a solution that will give you more peace of mind. Good luck!

Paint Girl said...

Those babies are so adorable! Looks like Bombay thought so too!
I don't think I'd want thunderstorms every afternoon, doesn't sound too fun. I'd probably never get to ride, I'm not a morning person, so I always ride in the afternoon or evening. I guess it's a good thing we don't get afternoon thunderstorms!

Leah Fry said...

It's hard to stay mad when they're being goobers.

Donna said...

Heard a song on the radio this afternoon that brought you to mind. It was called "Neighbor, Neighbor" by Gregg Allman.

I wanted to move to Montana but my husband cannot imagine packing up and moving all our stuff - a logistical nightmare - so here we stay.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Those babies are SO cute! Can't get enough of them. :)
Thanks for visiting my blog and your comments about the bunny. Funny thing, around our house if we've had a bad day or are feeling down we say "I need a bunny". And we flop on the couch with a bunny and all is right in the world....

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I think that's so cool that all those horses are related to Lostine. What fun for you to see them so often.
And those foals....makes me yearn to see Annie's baby even more!

Bombay looks gorgeous in that photo! And so tall, too! Wow!

~Lisa