Monday, June 15, 2009

Western States Horse Expo 2009: Equine Art

My daughter and I went to the Western States Horse Expo in Sacramento, California this past weekend. That means the next week or two of posts will include pictures and stories about our experiences. It was raining when we left Nevada, but we had plenty of sunshine and heat once reaching Sacramento.

My first lesson of the day was that I either need glasses for my distance vision now or I need to get laser eye surgery. I went into panic mode while driving down those freeways, because I discovered I couldn't read the signs. In Nevada I never have to read signs because I always know exactly where I'm going. The freeways and city streets were a nightmare for a country bumpkin like me. I grew up in L.A., but had forgotten how stressful that California driving can be after living in a rural community for 20 years.

The next lesson of the day was that men in California seem to be made up of over 80% hormones. My poor daughter had men leering at her everywhere we went. Here she is looking fierce on the Golden State bear.

The Cal Expo made some really cute decorative touches to their amphitheater this year. They turned the trees into carrots.

They also put a huge frog and water spout behind the stage.

Here are some photos of the equine art that was displayed in the Mane Market Mall.






This last one is for Pony Girl and Fern Valley Appys. I probably should have turned off my flash, because it looks like that Appy butt is exploding.

Stay tuned. There's more to come.

15 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Looks like a good time , thanks for thinking of me ,and Pony Girl . Exploding or not ,looks like a nice Appy picture

fernvalley01 said...

Also nice to see you were able to have some "away time"

Sydney said...

Cool finally got away. That would be neat to see.

HorseOfCourse said...

Nice photos, thanks for sharing! I particulary liked the "carrots".
I agree with the others - so nice to see that you got away from work and neighbours for a while!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad you got a chance to go away. The expo looks like a nice place to visit. Love the pictures of the horse art.

AareneX said...

Okay, I almost spat coffee on the keyboard when I got to the "carrots"!! Awesome!!!


Now I'm wondering if I could do that with the apple trees in my orchard....hmmm....

Paint Girl said...

I love the equine art! I have alot of equine art in my house and would love more someday. Love the exploding Appy butt! I am sure Fern Valley and Pony Girl will appreciate it!!
Sounds like you had a great time, except for the traffic. About 15 miles south of me, traffic is a nightmare, I try to avoid it as much as I can!

photogchic said...

Love a good expo! Can't wait to hear about your experiences. Ask for a GPS for Christmas...I didn't think I would use it, and now I feel I can't drive without it.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Sounds like a great time. Those carrot trees are really cute and how nice to see some equine art at an equine expo.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Very interesting!! I agree with you on those busy cities!! Love the Appy picture even with the "exploding butt" LOL!!

Leah Fry said...

Ooh! I like that Appy!

Callie said...

Sounds like great fun except for not being able to read the raod signs! Yikes! Love the artwork!

S. Lauren said...

That seems like a lot of fun!

Andrea said...

What fun!! Those carrot trees are so cool! What a creative idea! That art looks great! Can't wait to see more of what you guys did there!

And my family is all from California. And when ever we go to visit the drivers always scare the poop out of me!!!! My 90 year old grandma drives like a mad woman LOL !!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gah! Exploding Appy Butt! lol!

I do love me some equine art. They had some pretty stuff there.
Lucky you getting away for a bit. Last night was my first night sleeping in my own bed for over a week.
I'm still trying to play catch up on my fave blogs...and catch up on sleep since the foal was born.
And now all I want to do every day is play with the foal. It's too addictive! lol!
Most of my fam live in CA. I love them, but hate visiting because the traffic and crowded cities stress me out too much.

~Lisa