Friday, July 17, 2009

A Top Hat and Cane for My Horse

Quick! Somebody get a top hat and cane for my horse! Bombay has been a real source of entertainment lately.

We had another Friday meeting at work in which we were told we all had to work through the weekend. No one bothered to ask if I was available. I've got company coming into town and had plenty of plans. Anyway, amongst my 10 to 16-hour work days, I occasionally get up from my desk to venture outside for fresh air and to pet the horses. Each time I go outside, Bombay makes me laugh.

CASE #1:
I let the horses out to pick weeds on the RV lane while I cleaned the paddock. I had my truck and horse trailer parked on the lane, so the horses had to squeeze between it and the fence. You may recall that Bombay has a phobia about squeezing into tight spaces, passing between signs on a trail, walking through gates with trash cans next to them... When it was time for them to go back into the paddock, I pointed at the gate and called out, "Let's go in!"

Lostine and Gabbrielle went right in, but Bombay took off at his silly sideways gallop, throwing his head in the air and laughing. He galloped right in between the fence and my trailer without any concern. I grabbed my lunge whip and said, "BOMBAY! GO IN!"

He did his silly sideways gallop all the way back through the gate, passing through that narrow aisle once again with no hesitation. I think next time he feigns fear at tight spots, I'm going to call his bluff.

CASE #2:
I had put the bar window back onto Gabbrielle's stall to get it out of the way while we stained the barn. I walked outside to find that Bombay had unlatched the window and was swinging it back and forth with his nose for entertainment.

CASE #3:
I walked outside and noticed a Magpie walking hurriedly along the sand in the paddock. Right behind it was Bombay, pushing the bird with his nose. Bombay herded the bird right out of the paddock, then turned up his nose and marched off with a sense of self-satisfaction.

CASE #4:

I was cleaning the paddock and tossed some manure into my Ursa Wagon, only my Ursa Wagon was no longer where I left it, so the manure landed on the ground. I turned to see Bombay with his hocks pressed against the wagon and walking backwards, pushing it as he went. I took the wagon away from him and said, "At least you could push it to where I need it to be."

Almost as if he understood me, he backed into it again, and pushed it alongside me as I moved down the fence line picking up manure. Now that's a helpful horse!

12 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

*giggle*

Bombay is such a character! I could totally see him doing everything you said.

Thanks for the laugh. :D

~Lisa

fernvalley01 said...

I think I love Bombay!

Paint Girl said...

That was way too funny! At least Bombay can give you a good laugh! Silly horse!

Katharine Swan said...

Uhhhh... How often does Bombay do what you ask him to? I remember when you commented to him about pooping in the wagon, he did it, and now he's pushing it in the direction you want? Sounds to me like he understands you....

And the bird-herding thing cracked me up. I can totally picture that!

Now if you could just get him to do some of your work for you, too! LOL!

Leah Fry said...

I think Bombay and Jazu would be T-R-O-U-B-L-E on eight hooves! They would be unstoppable and VERY funny!

I am praying for your job situation, so keep your eyes and ears open. If you pray for rain, bring an umbrella.

AnnL said...

I feel your pain with the job stress and I thank God for my animals who always make me laugh every day, no matter how stressed I am. Bombay knows you need some laughter in your life--he's your own personal therapist!

Alex said...

what a guy! He knew you needed some horse therapy and was available to offer his services, even if they weren't under saddle!

Shirley said...

What a great post! And what a great horse Bombay is! You are blessed to be his human.

Mary Olson said...

My dog is the comedian in my life. She can pull me out of a funk like nobody's business. My horses, they're too busy trying to get away from the bugs to be a source of entertainment. Bombay sounds like a gem.

HorseOfCourse said...

He's such a character!
Isn't it a marvellous therapy to have the animals around us when the rest of the world is spinning in a too high tempo?
It is a much needed relief, and how nice to get a good laugh too.

Reddunappy said...

What a goof!

Breathe said...

So funny! Who needs opposable thumbs?!

Bombay definitely gets the hat and cane award!