Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gabbrielle Goes Rodeo

Now that I've got your attention, it's not what you think. I've wanted to start trailering Gabbrielle around to different places since she now reliably gets in and out of the trailer. I loaded up both Gabbrielle and Bombay with the intention of riding Bombay at the Fairgrounds and letting Gabbrielle have the run of one of the arenas. However, when we got there, we discovered that there was a rodeo going on and all the pens and arenas were in use.

At first I was bummed, but then I remembered what K told me last summer. She said, "Bring your horses out here when there is an event going on, and just tie them to the trailer for a couple of hours to let them get used to all the other horses, the loudspeaker, and whatnot."

When I opened up that back door on the trailer and all the noises of the rodeo burst in, Gabbrielle was in quite a panic. When I first tied her up, she ran from side to side pulling on the lead rope. I thought she was going to pull the whole trailer over onto its side for a minute there, but once I tied Bombay next to her she relaxed and started looking around. There was basically as lot of panicking...

...and a lot of pooping...

...and more panicking...

...and panicking and pooping together...

...and prancing and pawing.

They were leaving fresh piles every few minutes, so I just kept cleaning it up and tossing it in the back of the trailer. They literally pooped until there was nothing left but air, and Gabbrielle let out the world's longest and loudest horse fart. It went on and on, and I was shrinking smaller and smaller each time it hit another pitch, trying to pretend like she wasn't my horse as everyone stared horrified. By the time she reached the end of it, I had tears squirting out of eyes from laughing so hard. Bombay kept looking nervously in the direction of...

...the dreaded trash barrel! Da Dummmmm!

I didn't force him to walk by it over and over though. That would have prevented other riders from getting through the gate. I did take each horse for a walk, though, and the horse that was left tied to the trailer panicked. In some ways I think it is easier to just take one horse at a time, because then they have to draw their feelings of security from me.

They tired themselves out with all their worrying, so the ride home was very quiet. ;}

14 comments:

Leah Fry said...

That is too funny! That's good you gave them that experience.

Mikey said...

That's always a good thing to do, what you did right there. I love to take horses new places and let them check it all out, even if we're not doing anything. I try to keep in mind that when we load up, it should be fun and interesting and they should WANT to get in the trailer to see where Mom's gonna take them now.
Looks like yours got a very interesting day out of it, lol. It's good for them!!

jane augenstein said...

Good experience for the horses to be where all the action is. First time I took Gilly to a horse show he didn't know where to look first. He wasn't very nervous just excited to see all the other horses and things going on around him.
OMG the horse fart!!! I laughed so hard at your description of it!!! I would have been rolling on the ground laughing if I had been there. she must have really been nervous and worked up!
Good post!
~Jane

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

Perfect! It's nerve wracking, but such a necessary part of seasoning horses. Even seasoned horses get buddied up though and want to head back to the trailer.

HorseOfCourse said...

Your horses are beautiful, NuzzMuzz!
And I believe they had a good lesson out there.
Even if it meant heading home on an empty stomach, lol!

Andrea said...

That is really the best thing for them. The more places they go and the more noises they hear the less they will be nervous. I do have one horse, I think he is a half Arab, still gets the runs every time we go somewhere, but he is an angel. I have my four year old gelding that I take with me everywhere. He goes to rodeos and shows and to practice events. He actually behaves better away from home!! LOL. But now he just stands ties where ever. I also tie him a lot at home. Let him just stand tied for a few hours. It has helped us a lot when going to new places.

I can't believe I have missed 15 posts over here!! Things have been so crazy with kids in school and my crazy FIL. Sigh....I hope to catch up and keep caught up. I miss seeing Bombay and his silly personality!! Love that big boy!!

Katharine Swan said...

What a fun experience! It's very satisfying to expose them to new situations, isn't it? Panama poops like crazy when he's nervous, too -- it must be instinctive. I wish I could have heard that horse fart!!!

Kate said...

Excellent training - and nice that they tie so well!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You said: "They literally pooped until there was nothing left but air, and Gabbrielle let out the world's longest and loudest horse fart."

ROFLMBO!!!! *Snort*
You are so darn funny, NM. I wish I could have just went along with you for the experience and the laughs.
Your two horses look so TALL! They don't look that tall at home. Bombay looks more like a TB in that photo of them both pooping and panicking. lol!
Must be that with them being so alert, they've just blown themselves up so much bigger.
They sure are beautiful, though.
And what a great experience for them both. Will you be doing it again one day soon?
How did Lostine do with no buddies to keep her company?

~Lisa

Alex said...

sounds like you had a great horsie weekend! Im so glad your schedule and the weather cooperated! A nice trail ride and a fun outing for the other 2! Sucesses all around! I'm sure some of it was worrisome, but sounds like all in all your trio handled themselves well, and bravo for the great progress you are making- and the wonderful training you are doing!

KD said...

Ha ha ha !......"and panicking and pooping together"...

manker said...

great training for all of you... but definitely gives new meaning to being scared sh***less:)

gp

Breathe said...

It's nice that they had each other to panic and poop with. LOL I'm sure they expected you to make them chase those things with the horns like all the other horses were doing.

My goodness, sounds like you could power your truck on Bombay's... gas. :)

Lulu said...

You have a very good point... I much prefer to haul horses alone, because they then aren't so worried about their buddy at the trailer/barn/etc!

I haul Violet alone when we show, and now she attaches to some random horse at every show. Even though she doesn't travel with a buddy, she MAKES one at every show. It was annoying at first, but now I just laugh at her!