Thursday, August 20, 2009

Oops! I Did It Again!

After not having water for a couple of days when our well pipes and pump were being replaced, one would think I'd be more cognizant about my use of water. However, I had a series of screwy mishaps that essentially led to me leaving the water running in the water trough for 3 hours straight.

I had screwed a spray nozzle onto the end of the hose this past weekend, and now I can't get it off. I used to have a system in which I would put the hose (sans nozzle) into the water trough, then run into the house and set the oven timer for 8 minutes to remind me to turn if off once it is filled up. However, with that spray nozzle on, it takes considerably longer than 8 minutes to fill a trough since the flow is minimized. I'll set the timer for 10 minutes, go out there, and discover it's not even halfway filled up. Anyway, on this day I got distracted by Gabbrielle's wound on her coronet band before I could get into the house to turn on the oven timer. I spent some time dressing her wound, and by the time I finished, I had completely forgotten that the hose was running in the trough.

Three hours later I went outside to take a break and pet the horses, and this is what I found...

Lostine is always comfortable walking in water, but the other two chickens hang back. Perhaps a carrot will change that.

Yup. Here they come. All it takes is a little incentive.

Once committed to being in the water puddle, Gabbrielle decided it was pretty cool.

It was fairly deep in some places.

I'm sure that at this point my neighbor came out of her house to investigate why I was crouched down in a giant puddle of water taking pictures. Gabbrielle is a dead giveaway. She always points out my neighbor's hiding spot to me. What would have been really nice is if my neighbor knocked on my door any time during the previous 3 hours to inform me that I left my hose running in the water trough. It's not like anything escapes her.

Once the carrots ran out, Gabbrielle kept pestering me while I was trying to take pictures. She was trying to pry my finger off the shutter release with her lips, because she hoped it was a carrot. When I told her to stop, she then gave me a noogie on my head with her lips, rubbing my hair into one big mess. Eventually, she resorted to trying to bite my camera lens to get my attention.

Lostine was bored with it all.

"Look at this big, muddy mess you made, Ma!"

Lostine finally moved away from the full, overflowing water trough with fresh water so that Bombay could have a turn. Sometimes they are like kids in kindergarten who purposefully spend way too much time at the drinking fountain just to irk everyone in line behind them.

Oh, oh. I know that look. Bombay has an idea...

"Look, Ma. I'll show you how you are supposed to remove the hose once it has filled up the trough."



He's such a genius.

12 comments:

Johara said...

I'll do that on purpose sometimes. Well, not the time it ran for 6 hours... those are whoops! moments lol. But instead of the 7-8 mins needed, I'll let it go for 15 mins once a week. Gives my babies (1 yr and 2.5 yrs old) a chance to splash in a little bit of a puddle. Hopefully once they're of riding age, if we do happen to run across any puddles it won't phase them. :)

Breathe said...

LOL! Great pictures. Maybe you can teach him to come and remind you to turn off the water...

Promise said...

They are such characters, lol

Katharine Swan said...

Oh, I adore Bombay! Those pictures of him pulling the hose out of the trough are priceless! And the first one -- you can tell he's looking at it, thinking, "That doesn't belong there..."

Paint Girl said...

My other half has left the hose on overnight a couple times. But where the water trough is slopes downhill, so most of the water flows out of the pasture!
Looks like your crew had fun playing in the water though! Bombay is awfully silly, showing you where the hose is!

Mary Olson said...

I think everyone with horses has forgotten the water running at some point. Fortunately, I've only forgotten for 15 minutes or so past the fill, and I figure the mud is good for the horses hooves when it's so dry out.

As for your previous posts on noise and other things that make horses shy, it sounds like you have too much going on around you. I think having somethings going on is a good training exercise. The last time I rode someone was pulling weeds around the ring and noticed my horse was acting up and asked if they should stop and I said no, that my horse should be paying attention to me and ignoring him and eventually my horse was okay. If my neighbor rolls the garbage can out to the curb while I'm riding, I expect my horse will react, but I expect him also to refocus quickly and keep working. But I've had horse that I couldn't expect that from no matter how much I worked with them. It can be pretty frustrating.

manker said...

such absolutely sweet expressions... gives new meaning to "walking on water" :)

gp

fernvalley01 said...

Been there ! Funny how it just goes right out of your head . Hubby did it once in the winter ! now that was a wreck! That Bombay ,maybe he could learn to shut the water off

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You captured some amazing photos! Bombay never ceases to entertain. What a character he is. lol!

My fave photo is the one with the carrot. You captured the expressions on the horses' faces perfectly.

~Lisa

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Well I'm pretty sure I can top your length of time left on....One day while my Hubby and I both worked in a city an hour away from home he remembered about halfway there that he had left the water on....It ran for almost 10 hours!!!! My daughter found it and couldn't figure out why we had a river in our drive way LOL!!

I definitely agree with Johara, it works as a great training tool to get them used to walking into the water. And also if anyone has horses with cracked hooves, instead of using any store bought applications just make them some mud to walk into at their troft. It's very good for their feet!!

Lulu said...

I intentionally run my troughs over from time to time, so that my horses are forced to walk into the water/mud. This is so great for their hooves!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I intentionally let my hose run beyond when the water troughs are full too for the purpose of softening up their hoofs and training them to walk through water, but not by THAT much. My R.V. lane was a swamp.