Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Problems Solved!

Happy days are here again! We have water, we had good, prompt service, and the horses' hooves are freshly trimmed. I was so worried that we were overbooked with both maintenance and emergency appointments today that I told my boss I wouldn't be coming in to the office to work. Considering that I have employees sitting so close to me that we rub elbows, I really didn't want to go into the office without having had a shower. If I had my own cubicle, that would be one thing, but I sit at a long bar where a bunch of computers are lined up and people sit side-by-side.

Everything had to go like clockwork today or we'd have one big mess to sort through. I decided to let the engineer keep his appointment to measure our kitchen even though I doubt we can follow through with the remodel now. He was arriving at 8:30 AM, I had a meeting at 9:00 AM, our farrier was arriving at 9:30 AM, and the well pump guy would be coming as soon as the pump as delivered. Our car was also repaired and ready to be picked up from the shop, which is an hour drive in both directions.

I decided to take some problems out of the equation by excusing myself from the meeting and telling the mechanic we will pick up the car on Wednesday. That helped a lot. The engineer showed up early and was quick to do his job, which gave us plenty of time to prepare for the farrier. However, my boss asked me to do something right when the farrier arrived, so my husband had to go outside and hold the horses while the farrier trimmed their hooves. That worked out well, because when I finished my work I was able to watch how he trimmed while standing behind him. I'm usually always standing at the horses' head and I can't see what he's doing.

The farrier found a tender spot on one of Gabbrielle's hooves and told me how to treat it. He also noted that flies were getting in the cut on her coronet band, and gave me a kick in the butt to get that cleaned out. I've had so many things going on that I forgot to check on that cut. I cleaned it out, put ointment on it, and slathered Swat all around it.

My farrier lives in one of the most desirable areas for horse lovers, because it's surrounded by U.S. Forestry land. He said a lot of horse properties are up for sale there. Some have been abandoned and people are willing to take offers just to get the property payments off their hands. He did say that the Forestry Dept. had to close off most of the land, because motorcyclists and ATVers were tearing it up and endangering some species of plants and animals in the process. They tried to leave a few small openings for horses, though. He did tell me about a secret spot where I can ride that the motorized vehicle fanatics don't know about yet. I'd just have to get a brand inspection and the proper shots for my horses to travel that far, because it's in California.

No sooner did the farrier leave, and the well pump guy showed up. He got to work right away, and now we have water again... just in the nick of time. The horses were down to their last drop. I learned some tricks to water conservation, since we only had two bottles for cleaning and two bottles for drinking, and I think I'll keep up some of these habits. I was happy to learn that our water table is at 94-feet while our well is drilled 120-feet deep. While that may not sound great, our water table was right around 90-feet twelve years ago and we've been in an ongoing drought since then. Only losing 4-feet of water over twelve years of drought is a pretty good deal. That means we didn't need to have our well dug deeper. I know that several neighbors in this area had to switch over to water tanks, because they were bone dry and couldn't dig any deeper.

All in all, between yesterday and today, plus picking up the car tomorrow, I will have missed a total of about 8 hours of work, which equals one day, so I'll probably have to work on my vacation day to make up for it, but that's okay. I'm not feeling as tired and burnt out over my job since I actually got to do something different besides sit a my computer for the past couple of days. A little sunshine and fresh air makes all the difference in the world. It was nice being able to soak up some rays while watching someone else solve my problems for a change. I was fascinated with how they pull the pipe out of the ground and feed new pipe in with a crane. I was also able to stand around and watch the farrier nip all the dead, excess crud off my horses' hooves while I did nothing. Well, I did get some fly spray, but that was effortless. It was almost like being on vacation... a very expensive vacation, but a much needed excuse to get out of work for a few hours.

16 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Isn't it amazing how things are so bad one minute but have a way of working out for the best? I'm glad everything is getting fixed for you. Now you just have to pay for them, (ahem, choke). Where did you plant that money tree???

Sounds like you should check out that land near your farrier. It sounds ideal!

Katharine Swan said...

Glad to hear your day went so well! Yay for getting problems fixed... and getting to take a day off to do it!

fernvalley01 said...

Finish this spendy vacation day with a glass of winw or water in a nice bubble bath ! you deserve it!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

fernvalley01 - Oh, what a great idea. I was just about to make myself a cup of coffee, but wine sounds soooooo much better. I'll have to hold off on the bubble bath, though. Our water is still brown.

Breathe said...

Some times just catching up on errands is so relaxing. I did that last Friday and it was fantastic.

Hope you get to take a look at that land - it sounds lovely!

Mary Olson said...

Sounds like a very productive day, which has a way of making you feel better. I know what you mean about getting a break from sitting in front of a computer all day. I'd rather shovel manure any day of the week. That's pretty much what I feel like I'm doing in the office anyway...

HorseOfCourse said...

Hooray! How nice to get rid of some of the worries. Suddenly the day turns much brighter! A glass of wine to celebrate with sounds like a marvellous idea...
(And why not check out that area???)

Cheryl Ann said...

Yeah! A day outdoors! How nice! I'm actually looking forward to a day indoors this morning! I'll do horse stuff later this afternoon!

Lulu said...

Woohoo for progress!!! Your spirits sound much higher today! ;)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I must sound like I'm manic-depressive, because I've been on such a roller coaster lately. This morning I awoke with no time to eat, because we had to pick up the car from the shop and get to our jobs on time. Just as I was walking out the door, I heard a retching sound and my Shelty was running through the house leaving a trail of vomit as he went. I made some animal cry like I was ready for a nervous breakdown. I left it there and when I returned home with the car (which now has a permanent rattle that it didn't have before the mechanic worked on it), I found that my son had cleaned it up for me. Hallelujah! All we need is a little help sometimes.

Katharine Swan said...

NM, make the mechanic fix the rattle! If it wasn't there before he ought to fix it for free. It's probably just a heat shield or something, but he needs to fix it!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Katharine - I'm not real keen on taking a portion of another couple of days off from work (plus interfering with my husband's work for him to drive me once I don't have a car anymore) to deal with this. I have never taken a vehicle in for repairs and had it come out in better condition than it was in when I brought it in. Each time we take a vehicle in, it comes out with one more problem that it didn't have before. I know that we should hold people responsible for poor service, but ultimately I am the one who suffers the consequences: Time lost. This mechanic is not nearby. All the mechanics in my town have shady reputations, so I drive into the next city for repairs at the dealerships.

One time I took my truck into a different dealership to have them put mud flaps on it. When I returned home, I discovered that a hubcap was missing. I had to take more time off from work to drive back into the city to have them put the hubcap on. I also mentioned that I couldn't get the tailgate extender detached. So, they replaced it with another extender. When I got home, it turned out that they had installed the new extender upside down. So, I had to take more time off from work to drive back into the city to get them to fix that, because it was jammed. On and on it went until we just took a hammer to the damn thing to remove it and never used it as anything but a table in our garage. Sometimes you have to quit when you are ahead. I have no faith in customer service, because I've been burned way too many times. We won't buy cars from that dealership anymore, because we know their service sucks, plus their vehicles have dozens of recalls, which take up a lot of my time too. They need to learn to get it right before putting their vehicles on the market.

Leah Fry said...

You've certainly had your share of "inconveniences". Hope this is the end of it.

How goes your job search? Mike has been horribly underemployed for over a year. He said as of about 2 weeks ago, there wasn't even anything to apply for. When it's that bad in Texas, you know it's bad.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Leah - Quite honestly, I've only made it as far as updating my resume. I've been so busy with my current job and the endless hassles of home and car repairs that I haven't even been able to think about a job search. I remember that the last time I got laid off, all of my laid off coworkers were finding jobs in Texas -- so yes, that's not a good sign if Texas has dried up.

manker said...

i'd say a nice crisp chardonnay's in order!!

L'chaim and cheers
gp

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

NM, I'm always impressed with how well you organize your appts and use such awesome time management. I wish I could be more like that sometimes. I'm kind of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants gal. Sometimes I don't know what I'll be doing the next day, until the night before. lol!
I like to just say, I'm flexible and somehow it all works out in the end. :)

I also think you should check out some of those property in CA. Might be a good fit for you guys. And maybe one will come with an awesome barn to boot!

Yay that your water level is high enough that you don't need to drill deeper. All the houses south of us have had their wells run dry and every day, trucks pulling trailers with water tanks on them, drive by our house to be refilled.

We're kind of lucky in this neighborhood in that we're on community water, so no wells to worry about. But the water is very hard, so we end up buying bottled water anyway. lol! We have a reverse osmosis but it's been broken for a few months and since hubby's been unemployed for a while now, we're just watching our pennies.

~Lisa