Saturday, August 22, 2009

Super Clean Saturday

That's one clean butt...

That's one clean tail...

That's one clean mane...

I tried a different horse shampoo on Bombay's tail. I had been using Quic Silver, but his tail was still yellow after a thorough shampoo. This time I tried Cowboy Magic's Shine In Yellow Out. You can see that the yellow is still there on the bottom half of his tail...

I think the only difference between the two products is that one is purple and the other is blue. They both have just about the same effectiveness. I have also used Oxy Clean and Palmolive. No horse shampoo product or home remedy seems to get the yellow out any better than the next.

Gabbrielle got so upset about me bathing Lostine and Bombay before her that she very intentionally backed up to the water trough and peed in it. Talk about throwing a temper tantrum and fouling your own nest.

But she eventually got her turn. That is one drenched rat...

While I was busy bathing Gabbrielle, Bombay decided to help himself to some hay on the haystack...

Who me? I'm innocent...

...and clean too.

10 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

looking good ! I bet they loved it!

Reddunappy said...

We had a silver dapple pony that my youngest rode in 4-H. She has the whitest mane and tail, one thing I did notice was it took about three washings to get all the yellow out of her tail, a couple weeka apart, with Canter mane and tail, or Cowboy Magic in between. I always used Quic Silver.

manker said...

clean equines .. no ifs ands or uh.. butts :)

here where i needed a serious shower after riding, grooming, innkeeping etc !! We use cowboy magic on showhorses btw

gp

Breathe said...

It must be in the air. Sierra shampooed lily and cibolo pooped in his water.


Have you tried that Mrs. something or the others' bluing solution - it's for whites that get yellow in hard water. I wonder if it would work.

Paint Girl said...

I couldn't agree more, no matter what I have used, I can't find anything to take the yellow out! I guess that is one of the reasons why the show horses tails are kept up all the time!
I haven't bathed my horses yet this year. I should probably add that to my to do list!

Anonymous said...

Laundry bluing rinse/soaks(diluted) works like a charm. It's VERY drying though so be sure to condition after.

Sydney said...

white n brite. I had the dirtiest (I bet all us white horse owners say that) white mare ever (naigen not Indgo, shes made of teflon I swear) and it was the ONLY thing that would make her blindingly white for our birthday parties we did.

Lulu said...

I'm jealous! I wanted to bathe horses this weekend, but was far too sick :(

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

With three horses, I can just see you getting one horse done and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Except that feeling goes up in smoke the minute you see another dirty horse waiting to be bathed, too....and then the process starts again. lol!
And I thought cleaning one horse was a lot of work. lol!

Great job, NM. They all look shiny clean.

~Lisa

lytha said...

I love Lostine's tail. It is thick, and tapers at the end and is the perfect length between hock and pastern. That is exactly the tail I try to get on Baasha, trimming it so it looks natural (well, I try), just like Lostine's.

Now that no pony baby is chewing on his tail, I am starting to see new growth and thickness! I'm so happy! Also I used this conditioner-shine stuff that added body immediately. I would not leave that on the white part though, cuz it probably attracts dirt.

I can see I need to do a few more shampooings to get it whiter, but for now it is soft and sparkly and I can't stop brushing it!

(They say if you want a thick tail, never brush it, but phooey, if I am careful enough, I don't take out much hair at all. And I use a lot of show sheen.)

Are your horses fluffing up yet? Baasha has twice as much coat as he had a month ago. He's goin for that plush bunny look early this year.

°lytha