Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend Drive

My son needed to put in more hours behind the wheel to earn his driver's license, so I unhooked my truck from the horse trailer and let him get some experience driving our largest vehicle. There was just way too much tourist traffic in town, so we took the back roads along the eastern side of the valley. This gave me a chance to scope out local horse properties that are for sale, and to check out another horseback riding trail I've been told about. Along the way we saw interesting houses..

...and interesting cars...

This beauty was at the head of the horseback riding trail I was told about. I didn't find any horses or horse trailers, but I found a lot of motorcycles and motorcycle trailers...

...along with a lot of bullet holes...

I don't think this guy has any use for AAA now...

I think my son is conjuring up a storm here...

This is the property of our local horse therapy program...

It's hard to tell from this picture, but they've got all kinds of interesting items in their arena, including a mailbox to teach the kids how to pick up the mail while riding a horse.

Hay!

Rusted barrels, rusted horse trailers, dilapidated sheds and barns are all common scenes in Nevada. What I find so interesting about this picture is the boat at the top of the hill. Aren't boats supposed to be in the water and not on the top of mountains?

Yet another boat in the desert...

Either my truck engine is really quiet or their engines were really loud, because we drove behind them for a while before they noticed us and pulled over...

We've got the power!

We've got some really big birds around here. Check out the size of that nest in that tree...

...amber waves of grain...

A little lake out in the middle of the desert! Who knew?

This is the road from the Fairgrounds to home. It's tough hauling a horse trailer on that tiny road with so many ruts and so much oncoming traffic.

This is the intersection I always get stopped at when hauling the horses. They paw violently when I come to a stop, and both the truck and the horse trailer rock back and forth. I almost made it through the intersection when hauling Bombay to the Fairgrounds the other morning. The light had turned green and I was going to make it, but then a golfer stepped out into the crosswalk and I had to slam on my brakes. He thanked me for stopping, but then I had to suffer through another several minutes of feeling like I'm in an earthquake.

Here's the golf course...

This is the really steep hill that my truck can barely make it up when hauling two horses...

Here's one satisfied driver who made it home safe and sound, doing his Napoleon Dynamite imitation...

10 comments:

KD said...

Thanks for the tour ! Your son must have been driving pretty well for you to be comfortable enough to snap pics. At least you have a shoulder on that road that you don't like to pull the trailer on...I hate the ones that are narrow, have no shoulder, and the asphalt drops off.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Interesting drive. I don't think I'd be too keen on riding at that trail with the bullet ridden car. Maybe those boat owners are expecting a big flood. Looks like your son handled the truck well.

Been catching up on your posts. Glad your kids weren't hurt when they were read-ended. And sorry you are still under so much pressure and stress. What did you decide to do about the trail riding ad?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Once Upon... I'm holding off on the trail riding ad until I get a better feel of what is going on with my job. I was promised a break, but now it's looking like I may have to break one of my own bones to get a break. My mother offered to break her leg again so that I'd have an excuse to get out of work, because I got six weeks off to take care of her when that happened several years ago. Of course, we're kidding, but there's no point in me starting another project if I'm not going to have any free time. Right now we are spending what extra time we have helping our son get his driver's license and getting our daughter ready to move to another state for another year of college. I also have to finish getting the barn stained and the fences repainted before the horses shred that exposed wood. I've just been waiting to get out of this heatwave before doing any hard labor outdoors. We've got our hands full as always. There's dreaming of trail riding, then there's reality.

Breathe said...

It's such a feeling of accomplishment to learn to drive. He's doing great!

Paint Girl said...

Thanks for taking us along for the drive! Some neat looking places! Love the therapy place.
I am sure your son will be ready to take that drivers test now with all the driving experience he is getting!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

How many miles was your little road trip? I never seem to cover any less than 50-60 miles on any given day, just going to town and back.

Rising Rainbow said...

I remember those days of riding along with my son. I think I'm glad we're past that. I'm sure I got some gray hairs on those trips.

Thanks for the tour.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Fantastyk Voyager - I wasn't tracking miles, so I really don't know we count the hours, and on this drive it was 2 hours. The hard part for us is getting in the freeway driving, because the nearest city with a freeway is an hour's drive away and the night driving. We usually are too wiped out from work to move, none-the-less get in a car and drive at night.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Lots of interesting sights, NM. And I was totally amused with your witty sense of humor, as always :)

How old is Colt again? Driving Education is fast approaching my twinling sons, I know, but I'm hoping to stretch it out as long as possible (I don't want to go completely grey all at once). And I love the idea of making them get in at least a year of practical, on the road driving experience with adults before they get their license, too.

Is Colt also planning on heading off to college after he graduates?
Whew! Then you'll officially be an Empty Nester. Weird, huh?

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Colt did an awesome job!

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Colt is 16. A lot of kids try to cram in their permit hours while they are 15 and a half, and then they take their driver's test on their 16th birthday. No one in our family wants to spend his/her birthday sitting in a DMV waiting area for hours on end. We'll take the test when we're ready. Two more years and then college.