Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 5: Naked Kitchen



It was a busy day, but it seems that so little has been done. The part of the kitchen walls that won't have the backsplash or cabinets in front of it got sanded and primered. My husband took inventory on the cabinets...



We could only fit half of them into our garage. We're getting a bit paranoid about leaving them sitting on our driveway at night. My nosy neighbor has already cruised by slowly taking his own inventory.



My husband found out that the poorly hung cabinet door can be corrected easily enough because the hinges are adjustable.

We had a very scary, very stressful mishap this morning. I was in the middle of running a software test when my husband yelled for help. I got up, but got hung up on the dogs, who always seem to be under my feet and in the way when I need to get somewhere in a hurry. He yelled again. By the time I got to the kitchen I found that one of the pipes for the sink broke and water was spilling everywhere. My husband told me to grab a bucket. I looked around and every bucket was full of wood and nails. I dumped one on the floor and stuck it under the pipe. It filled up within a matter of seconds, so I dumped the contents of a trash can on the floor and swapped that out with the bucket.

I kept running between the the planter outdoors and this broken pipe each time the bucket or trash can filled. My husband had to go outside and shut off the water main. We didn't have water for a few hours while he went to the hardware store to find a replacement part. Fortunately, he knew just what to get and had it fixed in a jiffy. I'll tell you, I was seriously thinking of helping myself to some Valium at that point. We've been without water for one reason or another way too often lately.

The good news is that we got our new refrigerator!



I know. It's not stainless steel, but I didn't want stainless steel. Our range will have some stainless steel on it, though. It will be a two-tone with black and silver, and we are expecting it to arrive tomorrow. The black will show fingerprints, but I can deal with that. Here's the inside...



Note all the horse syringes in the crisper.  Also, note that we are starving.  Please send food.

11 comments:

The D-Meister said...

Alright, Honey, I'll be sending you a care package... although that butter looks mighty fine. ;-)

Give some serious props to Daddy for all the work he's doing and for fixing the pipe.

Sydney said...

Oh no! Water spilling everywhere is not a good idea. I keep horse syringes in the meat keeper hahaha.
That is a mighty nifty fridge.

jane augenstein said...

Wow, you are a brave woman!!! Remodeling is a pain in the butt and doing it yourself is tough! Seems like when ever we do it, everything that can go wrong does go wrong.
Your new refrig and cabinets are beautiful!!! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen. Good luck, hope everything else goes smoothly! :-)

sue said...

I have been window shopping for the things needed in my kitchen to be.. and I don't like stainless either... but when I say that, people look at me like I am "out there somewhere".. so it's nice to hear that someone else thinks the same way... your project it looking great, I have enjoyed watching the progression.....

Horseypants said...

This is a major redo! I love your new cabinets. Looking forward to seeing more of the kitchen.

Breathe said...

Yikes! I guess next time the water will be turned off before work commences?

Great fridge!

Paint Girl said...

Sorry to hear about the water spillage! Yikes! No fun.
I love your new cabinets. Very nice!
The inside of your fridge looks exactly like mine!! Except I have a bunch of smoked salmon in mine!!

Callie said...

Oh, I wish my kitchen was naked and ready for new clothes! Can't wait to see the finished product!

JeniQ said...

Do you rent your man out to women who are married to great men but who are not so handy????

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oooh, what a near catastrophe with the water! I love your refrigerator!
I was wondering what you guys were doing about food!?
I'll bet you'll be glad when it's all done!

Andrea said...

My fridge is about the same, but it's stainless! I love it!! And we get fingerprints too! Cool new fridge!! Love it!