Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 7: Upper Cabinets



I love my old sink. I like having two compartments, with one of them large enough to soak pots and pans. So, I nearly had a heart attack when my husband told me that our old sink wouldn't fit into the new cabinetry basin, and off he went to purchase a new sink. First off, our cabinets came with a free sink, but we turned the offer down because we liked our old one. Therefore, it seemed to be a huge waste of money to have to buy a sink after all of that. Secondly, I've seen the sinks that are available around here, and none of them impressed me.

Fortunately, our designer was working in the store today and he told my husband to just knock out the center bar from the cabinet basin, and our old sink will fit. That idea saved the day.

My husband and son installed the first couple of cabinets minus the doors...



...only to discover another conundrum. Our ceiling is at a lower than standard height, which will leave us with only 18-inches of space between the counter top and the bottom of the upper cabinets. We're not even sure if we can fit a coffee maker under there. Because of the way our house is constructed, raising the ceiling is not an option. Now we know why the previous cabinets were custom made.



Sometimes all you can say is "Oh well."

5 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

My husband and I own an old (1920) house and I don't think we have any more space than that between the cabinets and the counter top. Don't worry. Sure, there are times when it makes a difference, but most of the time it's not that big a deal.

Consider getting those cheapy under-cabinet lights that you can buy at Home Depot, though -- the biggest problem I've noticed with low cabinets is that they cast shadows!

Breathe said...

At least the toaster will fit. They have those lower profile coffee makers, which are cheaper than custom cabinets!

Glad you get to keep the sink...

Andrea said...

OH I have missed so much! Look at your kitchen!! How exciting! And I think if you put some under cabinet lights you won't even notice the 18 inches!! Oh how exciting!! New kitchens are so exciting!!

Paint Girl said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the size of the cabinets! Remodeling can be such a pain. I hope it all works out for you!

HorseOfCourse said...

Catching up on posts...

Your new kitchen is going to be so nice, NuzzMuzz!
Must be like waiting for X-mas when you are 5 yo...and what a job!

How have you managed without a kitchen these days? Dinner?