Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Demolition: Days 3 and 4

We were originally thinking it would take two, maybe three days to do the demolition for our kitchen remodel, but the old cabinets turned out to be a nightmare. Each cabinet was not a single section, but many cabinets were strung together making lifting and maneuvering very difficult. My husband discovered that concrete had been poured beneath the counter top tile in some locations, and that was very hard to break apart, not to mention contributing to a pricey trip to the dump. We are running out of locations to store the old cabinets. Right now they are just scattered along the edge of the driveway. The neighbors probably don't like the view, but putting our kitchen back together is our priority. We will take the garbage to the dump later.



On day 4, my husband gutted the place, save a few appliances scattered about.





Bye bye, kitchen sink.



We are actually keeping our old kitchen sink because we couldn't find anything bigger. Now if we want a drink of water or to wash our hands, we have to use the bathroom sinks. Here's a sneak peek at what the new cabinets look like:



Our front yard looks like Christmas Day.



Thomasville only gave us 48 hours to open every box and examine the condition of the cabinets. My husband found that one door was hung very poorly and you could actually see into the bottom of the cabinet because the door doesn't cover all of it. That's really disappointing when you consider how much we paid for the cabinetry. We would have expected better quality craftsmanship. I mean, how could they not see that mistake?  My husband doesn't want to hassle with returning the cabinet, so he's thinking he will repair it himself.

We are in fast food mode now that we don't have a kitchen to cook in. We ate lunch at Taco Bell on Sunday, and I brought home some In & Out Burgers from work for dinner tonight. The dogs ate my fries when I absent-mindedly walked away from my food. I couldn't believe it. They are usually better behaved and know the difference between people food and dog food. I think all the activity around the kitchen remodel has been making the dogs anxious.

In other news, I did such an awesome job on Gabbrielle's leg bandage that it hung in there for 4 and a half days. I'm supposed to change it every 2 to 3 days. I meant to change it yesterday, but got home from work after dark. So, today I left work early to guarantee that I'd have time to get that dirty bandage off. This time my husband covered Gabbrielle's eyes with his hands so that she couldn't see the white sheeting folding outward as I cut the bandage away. That worked like a charm.

11 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Looks like things are going well! Someday I would love to remodle our kitchen, it just takes $$$ LOL cant wait to see the final result!

Anonymous said...

We did a big remodel job on our house 3 yeas age and did most of it ourselves. We were without a kitchen for almost two years. Useing a micro wave and other small appliances. I washed dishes in the bathroom sink all that time. I have a beautiful spacious kitchen now and it was worth the wait for it. We also did a master bedroom and bath and a laundry room at the same time. At least when it was done the whole house could be cleaned and it was finished.

Katharine Swan said...

Ha ha, that's funny that your husband had to cover Gabbrielle's eyes while you changed her bandage -- just like a kid! They are like our children in a way, though, aren't they...

I can't wait to see the new kitchen! Good luck getting everything put back together -- and repairing that cabinet door!

The D-Meister said...

Wow. This is going to be the one time in history that a dorm kitchen is comparatively nicer. But once you get it all put together, the dorm kitchen will once again have to live in shame.

photogchic said...

Very exciting! Don't be afraid to complain about that door...there is no reason it shouldn't hang properly.

Paint Girl said...

Remodeling is such a pain, but so well worth it in the end. Hope it all goes well from here on out!
Looking forward to seeing the end of your remodel!!

Leah Fry said...

Exciting stuff! How long til the finished product?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, my husband only has one week off from work. Today is Wednesday, so somehow he has to get all those cabinets installed by next Monday. I know it can be done, because the pros estimated 4 days for the demo and cabinet install. We are getting the new refrigerator today, the new stove tomorrow, and someone is coming to measure for the counter tops next Tuesday. We do not have to install the counter tops ourselves. We haven't even thought about a backsplash yet, so I'm hoping that it will be totally complete (minus new floors) within a month.

Alex said...

what fun! Well, i know living in it, and working on it constantly is no fun... but a new kitchen would be so nice! Mine is terrible- the cabinets are a mish mash of odds and ends Bill was given from somebody DOING a remodel while he was building. it was supposed to be temporary- 10 years later. sigh. I've gotten new appliances along the way- but nothing matches and the counter is prety much no existant. I have stuff stacked and stuck everywhere! I hope in the next 10 years we can afford to get it done! And, like you Bill will do the work! The prices they quote you are amazing. handy husbands are a nice feature to have in life!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Wow! I guess my old kitchen wasn't that bad after all. That's amazing that others have been getting by with unfinished kitchens. My situation is that this house wasn't selling in a sellers' market, because the potential buyer's complained that the kitchen was too small and poorly designed. We made due with it, because we liked all the land and mature trees that came with the house. However, if we want to be able to move someday, we have to fix the problems with the kitchen or we won't get any buyers in a buyers' market. It's one very expensive step toward freedom, but ultimately carrying two mortgages if we had to move would be way more costly.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

What a mess! LOL, I'll bet it really gives the neighbor's something to look at! ;)

I'm glad to hear that Gabbrielle was easier to redress. It's going to heal faster if she doesn't go off in another mad gallop or stomp around again.