Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Gabbrielle Knee Update


My husband took care of Gabbrielle yesterday by hand-walking her, letting her drink out of the outdoor water trough, which she prefers to her stall trough, and giving her attention while I was at the office. When I got home, he helped me administer her medications.

I hand-walked her this morning and administered more medications. The vet said the real problems and pain usually show up about two days later. She was a little stiff, but walking well overall. Her bandage has hung in there and she hasn't tried to unwrap it with that cayenne pepper and Vaseline mix smeared on it. It does appear to be slipping down her leg a bit. I'm due to change it either tonight or tomorrow. The vet will call me to find out about the nature of the discharge when I change the bandage. He says there will be a lot of yellow fluid, but there shouldn't be any thick puss.

I can see that she's in a good mood until I start sticking syringes into the corner of her mouth. It's got to be unpleasant having liquids and pastes being shot down the back of your throat. She gets grumpy and starts clamping down with her lips to avoid it. When I walked her before giving her the meds, she had her ears forward and was light on her feet. When I walked her after giving her the meds, she had her ears mostly back and was keeping a wary eye on me. She perked up once I put her back into her stall and served breakfast, though.

I wanted to bring up an interesting discussion started by Lytha's comment regarding sedation. I've been told by two different vets that Arabian horses tend to need more sedation, because there is something about their blood type and metabolism that make sedation less effective with them. Lytha teased me about my breedist comment and pointed out that her Arabian boy Baasha sometimes needs less sedation than most horses, so it depends on the individual horse, probably its age and experience too. Younger horses get excited during vet visits and fight off the effects of the sedation. Regarding experience, Lytha rides her Arabian on the trails, to the market, and in orienteering events. Gabbrielle has only had a few days under saddle at home and has only been off the property three times this year. Big difference.

As far as the vets' experience goes, they work with horses in my area, and I know that most of the Arabian horse breeders and owners around here only take their horses to shows, where they enter mostly classes in halter, hunter, and western riding. Very few of them trail ride. None of them do barrel racing, cutting, or calf roping. While the owners of other horse breeds have a wider variety of activities that they do with their horses, thus we come back to the argument about the horse's experience. Arabians are very versatile horses, but around here the owners of them just don't do much with them. That's my experience, though I obviously don't know everyone personally. Anyway, it makes me all the more motivated to give my horses more worldly experiences and skills, so that they don't have to fight their sedation so much. Of my three horses, Lostine usually takes a normal dosage. That makes sense. She's the oldest and has been dealing with vet visits for well over 21 years. They don't excite her anymore.

Anyway, I'll get another update out once I get the bandages off. In the meantime, I'm waiting for my neighbor and her guests to move away from my bathroom window, so that I can open it again and get some air in there. They've been loitering out there since 7:00 this morning. I'm feeling better, but still have the flu. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

8 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Sounds like she's being a pretty good patient, despite the nasty stuff you are sticking in her mouth. I'm sure she knows you mean well. Good luck with the continued care and best wishes to Gabrielle for a speedy recover.

Once Upon an Equine said...

And you get well too. Flu is awful! Sounds like you need an army of garden gnomes to place around your perimeter. Weird neighbors you have!

Katharine Swan said...

I thought you'd probably rise to the bait of Lytha's comment. :o)

I think it has to do with individual temperament -- how "hot" the horse is. The alpha at our barn, a thoroughbred, needed 1.5 times what Panama needed to get his teeth floated -- and he was still fighting it. Panama is an Arab cross, but he's nowhere near as hot as that alpha.

I do still think Arabs tend to run a bit hotter than many other breeds, particularly cold blooded horses -- they were bred to be hot, whereas draft horses were bred to be big and calm. Just the way it is. But there's still a lot to do with individual temperament and training.

Glad Gabbrielle is doing better!

fernvalley01 said...

you dressing is slipping try using a figure 8 pattern , still wrap fron distal to proximal on the under wraps , but on the top couple layers figure8 over the wound wit the top of the 8 at the top of the dressing thX directly over centre and the bottom of the 8 at the distal 9lower ) part of the dressing . This keeps steady tension on the dressing and prevents slippage ,and avoids the duct tape hair dilama . Hope that made sense to you , I am much better at doing than explaining!
As far as sedation I suspect horses are like people ,If they give me anesthetic appropriate to my size/wieght etc I come out of it with a heart rate of less than 40 and a barely palpable blood pressure! suffice to say I take a very low dose of most meds.

Paint Girl said...

It doesn't take much sedative to knock my Arab Brandy out. She is what I call a lightweight!! LOL. Now Fritzy, that one has to get more. I also think it depends on the horse and it's not just an Arab thing.
Glad Gabbrielle is doing better. Hope she heals up quick, and you too!

JeniQ said...

Arab's are such versatile creatures. I loved mine. When all my friends were riding their Arabians in English classes, I was doing Western Pleasure, barrel racing, pole bending and trail riding. Yes, I could get that hot trot down to a nice western jog, even though she could really really run, her lope (canter for you english folks) was rocking chair slow.

Those other folks just don't know what they are missing is my opinion!

allhorsestuff said...

So glad she is responding well to the treatments...good on your husband for being handy and horse helpful..wouldn't catch mine doing that!
My Cody Arabian, the first Arabian I'd ever fallen in love with, would jump anything I pointed him towards and trail ride and show too. He was so awesome and a solid mass of horse too..15'3 not as typy as Baasha or even your mare.Someday, I shall be in partnership with another Arabian.

Wa is half the dose of drugs or she'll fall over. It is very indiviual, I believe.

HAPPY BELATED Birthday!!! Hope you are feeling better too!
KK

manker said...

gazi, the arabian in my "family" 's primarily and endurance horse, but he's done the showing thang as well.. the more they do, the better they are methinks


belated bday
gp