Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Kitchen Remodel: Days 10 and 11

Here are the highlights of the 10th and 11th days of remodeling the kitchen based upon what I know, which isn't much since I've been stuck working on the computer and at the office:

My husband was very sore and putting a lot of ice on his bum knee after a week straight of crawling around, lifting heavy objects, and getting little rest.  He had planned on resting on Monday, and then leveling the cabinets for the counter top appointment on Tuesday afternoon.  However, we got a call at 7:00 AM on Monday from the counter top people requesting that we change our appointment to Monday since they would be in the area and it would be more convenient for them.  Ummmm, these counter top people have been a bit of a pain since we started this process.  They are always looking for ways to make their job easier on them and not really taking the customer into consideration, so my husband said no, that he needed the extra day to finish up with the leveling of the cabinets.  Good for him.



Our designer warned us not to level the cabinets by cutting off the bottom, because we'll end up having to cut shorter and shorter until there's nothing left to cut.  He said to just wedge the lower parts up with wood.  It turns out we have an unlevel, wavy kitchen floor, so the leveling process took a long time.  It wasn't just a matter of leveling front to back or side to side, but corner to corner too.

I was looking at the space for the range and saying that I didn't think there was enough room for it, so we needed to push the cabinets down further along the wall.  My husband said he measured it, and it fits.  Well, it turns out that after he screwed the lower cabinets into the wall, he couldn't get the range to fit.  Believe it or not, I do know what I'm talking about 99% of the time.  It's just that no one wants to listen to me.  So, he had to sand down the cabinets on each side and squeeze the range in between them.




The counter tops should be ready in 2 to 3 weeks.  All of the sudden it hit us that we are supposed to be hosting a 50th anniversary celebration and wedding vow renewal for my in-laws in a week and a half!  We're not going to have a kitchen!  People are going to come to our house and not have places to sit because our food and pots and pans are piled up all over the couch, the chairs, the tables, and the floor.  How embarrassing. 

Hopefully, we can start using the cabinets before the counter top arrives, but there's still a lot of work putting up the last couple of wall cabinets, hanging doors, putting in drawers, and whatnot, and with my husband back at his job, me at my job, and our son in school, no one is available to do the work.  We've known that we had this anniversary celebration scheduled in October all year, but just never made the connection how close we are to October.  Until yesterday, it still felt like summer.

 

16 comments:

Breathe said...

It is looking fabulous! Hard to believe how much you've gotten done.

I know this sounds crazy, but you could just use plywood during the party... :)

I keep thinking it's August too.

fernvalley01 said...

Yikes ! a week and a half? Hope its a pot luck?
Iff you have doors ion you could use your cupboards asn maybe lie plywoon over the openings, with a pretty table cloth it will cove some of the reno in progress, might even be fun!

Lulu said...

The kitchen is really coming along!!

The D-Meister said...

Wow. Your October sounds kinda like my October.

Honestly, from these pictures the kitchen looks better than it did before, even without being finished.

You could pile stuff in the kitchen temporarily and then tack some kind of fabric up along the wall to act as a curtain. Also, I don't know how much my brother is using my room, but if you hide stuff in there, I definitely won't mind.

BrownEyed Cowgirls said...

You could cut a few pieces of inexpensive plywood to lay on the countertops until your finished countertops are ready.

No reason why your things cannot go back into the cabinets then either. I suspect the lower cabinet items will have to come out again when they install the countertop, but maybe not everything.:)

Alex said...

wow! its looking great! now about that party... im sure you will come up with something creative! maybe on the day of, you can cut some plywood or scraps to fit as a faux countertop and wrap them with fabric and set them ontop of the cabinets to hide the interiors and serve as a surface to work off of?!

lytha said...

tonight in my english class, a student wanted to know about american kitchens. i said that stainless is very popular now. he wanted to know about the american refrigerators, cuz i think in all the world, we are famous for our ginormous fridges. yah, i explained, two doors, that open out, one side freezer, one side fridge. the entire appliance is taller than a person, and stands on the floor. (they really cannot picture that and must come to america and see one for themselves!)

he joked with me, 'oh, and an ice dispenser in the door!' and i said ABSOLUTELY. crushed or cubed. and water, when you want to drink filtered water.

that is so foreign here. we have built in fridges that look like a normal cabinet. i think it's cute, cuz it is a 'hidden' appliance. and tiny. good thing it is only me and my man, and good that most of the things you put in a fridge are much smaller here too! ice makers (and such extravagances as garbage disposals) do not exist here.

coming home tonight to this post was wonderful, i got to feast my eyes on your lovely new appliances. good work! and please make your man take so ibuprofen (or something stronger)!!! i feel so bad for him!

°lytha

Mikey said...

Looks beautiful!!! Good job!!!

Anonymous said...

Yup, plywood, covered with vinyl tablecloths stapled in place. And who needs doors on the cabinets anyways?

manker said...

wow... your october like august??? Ours is like january.. 3 inches of snow here !!!

thanx for giving us the kitch on the kitchen!

gp

Paint Girl said...

Wow! It is really starting to come together! Way to go!
You know, Sept. really flew by, I can't believe tomorrow is Oct. 1st! I am sure you will have a great party, even though the kitchen won't be totally done!

Leah Fry said...

Looks really good so far. I was going to suggest the same thing as BECG - plywood.

Kudos to hubby — that's a LOT of work.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Wow! Your kitchen is going to be beautiful! Look at all those cabinets and counters! You'll have to post before and after photos, side by side, for comparison.

Once Upon an Equine said...

It's coming together nicely. Looks like it will be very nice. I love having a window over the kitchen sink.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

It's looking great. You've come so far! Poor hubby. Makes my knee hurt just thinking about him hurting. Is there anyway you could have the celebration somewhere else, like a restaurant or community center or church hall? If it were me, that's probably what I do. I can't take all that stress and would have to find ways to make it easier and simple on myself.
I like the idea of the plywood if you do have to host the party there, though.

~Lisa

Andrea said...

The kitchen is coming along great! Those cabinets look great!! And your appliances look awesome! and I am sure your visitors will understand the construction zone!! It's going to look so wonderful after it's all done!!