Friday, September 11, 2009

Two Days in a Row

I like to give each horse a stroke on the face to greet them in the morning before sending them off to their food trough, so I open their stall doors and stand in the open doorway to pet them, and then step aside to let them out. This is part of their training to learn to be patient and not trample people. Lostine and Bombay caught on pretty quick, but standing in an open doorway has always been risky with Gabbrielle. She would see a one-foot opening between you and the stall wall, and go for it.

This morning when I approached her stall door, she was standing quietly waiting there. Usually, she's running back and forth between the stall door and the window. So, I took a chance on standing in the doorway to pet her, and she stood quietly while I greeted her, making no attempt to bypass me. I then stepped aside and she walked out to her breakfast. I thought that yesterday's good behavior may have just been a fluke and she'd return to galloping and charging today, but I got lucky. I think something really did click in her mind and this may be a sign of more good things to come.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Her grown-up brain is finally making decisions for her. That's a definite step in the right direction for all aspects of her training!

Laura said...

Very cool... I'm still wondering if she picked up on something in your demeanor when you just decided to let her do what she wanted...some sort of horse acceptance/reverse pyschology thing!

Either way, it's good for both of you! :-)

fernvalley01 said...

yay! your little girl is growing up! sounds like a huge step for her

Katharine Swan said...

My first thought, too, was that your baby is finally growing up. :::sniff::: I see similar changes in Panama's behavior sometimes, and it makes me so proud and so sentimental at the same time. ;o)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yay Gabbrielle! Yay You!

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

Sunni was like that. One day, he just grew up! YEAH!

HorseOfCourse said...

Marvellous!
Isn't that just the best of presents?

Kate said...

Excellent that she's finally choosing to walk out - hope it continues!

JeniQ said...

Hurray! for small victories that lead to much bigger successes!