Saturday, September 26, 2009

What About the Horses?

With the kitchen remodel going on, I haven't posted much about the horses. I gave Gabbrielle a new, smaller wrap for her knee today. I was disappointed to see that she was still bleeding nearly two weeks after her accident. She has a pink bubble sticking out of a hole on the side of her knee. I figure it is either herniated ligament poking through her skin or a blister from the bandage rubbing her.



She was pretty good about letting me cut off the old wrap and apply the new one. She just didn't like having the first layer of bandage placed over her knee. I had to get my son to hold her and cover her eyes. I ran out of Elastikon and had to go to the feed store to buy more. I nearly passed out to see that is costs $14 a roll, which lasts about a week.

There's this man at the feed store who I wish I could avoid when I go there, because sometimes I just want to browse, and he's one of these salespeople who blocks your path and insists on helping you. I asked him to just point me toward the veterinary supplies, and he wanted to know why. I said my horse injured herself and I needed more wrapping materials. He asked what kind of injury it was. I know he was just trying to determine if my horse needed to see a vet, so I told him, "The vet already treated her and gave me some supplies, but I ran out of a specific type of wrap. I can't remember what the name of it is, but if you let me see the vet supplies I will recognize it."

At that point he gave up and led me to the aisle with the vet supplies. I've been shopping there for years, but they rearrange the location of their items so often that I do have to look around a bit before I can find things.

Guess who I rode today after a month of no activity, attention or training?



I learned that riding a horse at the height of fly season is not easy. Bombay kept getting frustrated with flies landing on him. I had sprayed him thoroughly and wiped fly spray on his face before riding, but it obviously didn't have any impact. He kept throwing his head around and crow-hopping to try to get the flies off his face and legs. At one point he was having such a fit over flies that he nearly ran us into the railing. I've decided that I'm going to invest in some face tassels and a riding crop with tassels to help the horses out. I did use my riding crop to brush flies of his head, neck, sides, legs and rump. Thankfully, he understood that I was just trying to help him and wasn't signaling him to go faster or threatening him in any way.

After our ride I fed all the horses carrots. I got tired of being mugged, so I threw the bag of carrots on the ground, but these idiots still thought I had carrots in my hands...



The bag is right behind you, Dufuses.

I moved the bag of carrots into the sun to find out if they could see it better, and Gabbrielle found it...



Now Lostine found the bag of carrots...



Lostine snatched up the bag an tried to make off with it. I took it out of her mouth before she could swallow any plastic. She's really good about letting me rub plastic bags all over her face and body...



Gabbrielle tries to be brave and will let the bag near her, but backs away as soon as I try to touch her with it...



Then there's Bombay who won't let that plastic bag anywhere near him...




He's giving me his wary eye.

3 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

I know -- Elastikon is expensive! If you need a lot of it, check Horse.com -- it's cheaper there, but it's only worth it if you're buying enough to spread the shipping out a little. They've got good prices on other stuff, too.

Mary Olson said...

I have one of the crocheted, ear-covered, tassled things and it helps a lot. I also put leg wraps on all four legs for the sole purpose of keeping flies off. Legs and face seem to be the worst spots for flies for my horses.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Flies seem to be tapering off here after our little cold spell a few days ago. A few nights of 28 degree temps must have killed most of them off?

I hope that ponk bubble isn't 'Proud Flesh'? And I hope it starts to heal soon.

Great pics of the horses, especially Bombay's 'wary eye'. hehe!

~Lisa