Sunday, October 4, 2009

It's a Good Thing I Did the Marketing Yesterday

Our new refrigerator and cabinets are finally full with a bountiful harvest picked fresh from the supermarket aisles. The weather forecast mentioned a possibility of snow on Sunday, but said it probably wouldn't stick. Looks like it's sticking to me...



I took those pictures of my son doing handstands on the lawn in shorts and bare feet in my previous post just yesterday. It looks like we won't be mowing any time soon...



Nor will we be climbing ladders to paint the trim on the house...



My poor privacy hedge was folded in half by the weight of the snow.  My husband went outside and shook all that snow off its limbs after I mentioned my concern over its welfare...



He also fed the horses in a T-shirt because I overslept and was still in my pajamas when the horses normally get fed...



People around here are pretty hardy.  We brushed a couple of feet of snow off my truck and went out to breakfast really early this morning.  I thought it was humorous that the restaurant was packed with outdoorsy type people and farmers, women who don't wear makeup and men who don't bother to tie their shoes.  One woman was even sitting there eating in her pajamas.  I love this town.  It wasn't until church let out that the well-dressed people starting getting in line for a table.

This is my front yard...



These are the apples that thought it was still summer...



The snow nicely covered our trash pile of old kitchen cabinets, so that our driveway actually looked clean...



Those trees usually block our view of this neighbor's house, but all the branches were bowed...



White horse trailer appearing after a whiteout...



Once the sun came out, I removed the horses' blankets and cut them loose.  Gabbrielle was such a kid, galloping around, rearing and bucking.  Lostine pinned her ears back to let Gabbrielle know that she didn't appreciate her antics...



Bombay is still young enough to play with Gabbrielle, but he poops out sooner than she does...



Midge galloped through the snow too...



My husband and I continued to work on the cabinets today. My right hand and wrist are still giving me trouble. Just pulling on a sweater is very painful. Since I didn't injure my hand, all I can figure out is that I've got a fast growing cyst that is putting pressure on the bones and nerves. I've visibly had cysts on my wrist for years, but they haven't caused me any pain. I think this is a side effect of abandoning my hormone therapy. I remember that I did have a huge cyst on the back of my hand years ago before I went onto the hormone therapy. So, I'm going to resume taking my medication this week in hopes that rebalancing my chemistry will dissolve the cysts and relieve my pain.

I'm also going to look for a new doctor who is closer to my home. I tend to avoid seeing the doctor when I should because my current doctor is so far away and one visit to him requires that I take a half-day vacation from work. I get embarrassed, because I let a lot of health problems build up and then go in with a laundry list of complaints.

My current doctor doesn't have the patience for that and only gives me the time to discuss my two biggest issues. One time I was in his office with a URI infection, a broken finger, a kink in my neck, and weakness in my arm. He took care of my broken finger and my cold, but ignored everything else. I ended up going back to him a few weeks later unable to move my head or arm. He had to order an MRI and send me to a neurologist. This time I need someone to assess whether my hernia requires surgery, figure out what's going on with my hand and wrist, figure out why my motion sickness is getting worse, and refill my blood pressure medication. New doctors tend to give you more time so that they can discuss your history and get to know you. However, I hate to sound like a hypochondriac by showing up with another laundry list.

On the other hand, I don't want to have to miss a lot of work and pay for multiple appointments in an effort to spread out the issues to make sure each one receives a thorough examination. I know doctors have other patients, but doctors should also understand that older people often do have a variety of health problems. My vet has no problem giving my horses their immunizations, sheath cleanings, teeth floats, blood tests, wound cleanings, and stitches all in one appointment. He doesn't usher me out the door as I'm still trying to talk about why I'm there. He doesn't look at his watch every five seconds while I'm explaining the symptoms. Maybe I should just go see my vet. I'd probably get better care.

20 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I can't believe you got all that snow already. Bummer. Hope it melts quickly.

Vaquerogirl said...

Oh MY! Snow! Where the heck do you live- the North Pole! Brrrrr~!
If your Dr is giving you the bums rush- get a new MD!You pay enough for his friggin time- he should answer ALL of your questions and make sure you are satisfied with the answers before you leave!
Take care your yourself sweetie- no one else will!
PS- since I don't DO snow- make a snowball for me and throw it toward your nosey neighbors house! tee hee!

Tammy said...

OMG, what a nightmare! I am sooo not a winter person even though I live in the heart of the midwest. Turned the furnace on for the first time this weekend but hope we don't see snow for at least 6 to 8 weeks. (Praying, praying, praying).

The picture of the horses together made me think of snow sculptures. Very pretty. And that is the ONLY good thing I can say about snow! LOL!

Shirley said...

EEEEK! That;s way too much snow so early! Hope it all melts by tomorrow!
Don't worry about going to the doctor with a long list; they are getting paid to treat you, and your time is just as important as theirs.

fernvalley01 said...

Holy crap! I have nothing to whine about here ! It snowed a little but it didn't stick .Just cold here! I am so glad I didn't wake up to that! Oh well it is coming ,ready or not.Do you have tendonitis? I have it in my elbow pretty badly and it migrates up to my shoulder and down to my wrist as well.

manker said...

looks like us'ns in Montana... now this is time warp

keep warm
gp

sue said...

people always think that Maine is the land of ice and snow!!! oh my goodness, you got us beat this year!!! (and you can enjoy it, I will wait my "turn"!!!).... funny how it can sneak up on us... but, if snow wait until Jan. around here, i'll be happy with that... and the kitchen looks wonderful!!!!!!

photogchic said...

Oh my gosh! Not yet! Can't believe those pics. Those cysts sound really painful...sounds like you need to get in to a doctor, laundry list and all. You deserve to feel good and that sounds like a whole lot of "ouchie" stuff.

Breathe said...

You're right, the vet will spend more time. But they aren't paid by insurance either, so have to actually attract business.

I'm looking for the snowman! It looks like it was perfect snowman snow...

Katharine Swan said...

Snow is so pretty. It's just so inconvenient.

I must have overlooked it when you first talked about the pain in your wrist. Did it start after working in the kitchen? My guess would be repetitive strain injury (RSI). It's usually from doing the same motions with your hands or arms over and over without a break -- which I can see happening while you were working in the kitchen, especially if it was thanks to the contact papering or something like that.

I had RSI when I first started freelancing full time. I never went to a doctor for it though. The pain shot all the way up into my shoulder at times, so for a while I had the heating pad on the sore parts as much as possible, especially going to bed at night. Then during the day I'd put it underneath my wrists or forearms, or prop it on my shoulder while I typed.

I'd recommend heat, Motrin, and frequent breaks from any repetitive motions, be that typing or working in the kitchen. A break just means doing something else for a moment, such as stretching your arms, doing wrist rolls, etc. I hope it starts feeling better soon!

Paint Girl said...

Oh dear, the dreaded cold, white stuff. I don't want to see any of that this year! I can't believe you already have it.
Last year we had over 2 feet of snow for weeks, which is not normal around here, I hope we don't see it like that for a long time! But, I do like snow, just not the kind we had, it was really bad.
Hope the white stuff melts quickly for you!

Leah Fry said...

You can have all that snow. Is it early for you, or is this about right?

My doc is the same way about addressing multiple complaints in one visit. I think, however, it has to do with the way the visits are coded and insurance companies pay out. You can't have an invoice coded for multiple things, because they can only pay for one.

And I agree about getting better service from the vet LOL!

Alex said...

Yipes. Im so glad we are not there yet... although we did buy a ne snow blower yesterday... so i know whats coming! Hopefully it will melt, and you wont have to deal with it, argg. Im so not ready for winter!

Anonymous said...

I hate snow; too bad we live in MN. As for the doc, when I have a long list (and unfortunately I usually do) I tell the appointment setter that I have x number of issues I need addressed and they schedule a decent amount of time for the appointment instead of the standard 10 minutes. That may be why your doc is in such a rush; the standard appointment time is too short.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I LOVE your snow photos! I'll have my husband call his brother and see how they are doing! Nuzz, I LOVE my doctor! She will listen to ALL my issues in one visit. In fact, I love her so much, hubby is going to go see her tomorrow. He probably needs blood pressure meds, too. Frankly, I hope she gives them to him. He got dizzy a couple of weekends ago and fell in the shower. Of course, he's so STUBBORN, he won't want to take them! (...sigh)...

sue said...

PS "your" snow made the news out this way this am..... must have been a slow news day :-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yeh I think you're right. Our horses get better care than we do. I tend to be like you and put off going to the Dr. until I really can't take it anymore and have to. I hate the driving there and back, waiting to be seen and all those tests, being rushed, and paperwork and bills. It's annoying.

But not as annoying as all that snow you've gotten! Whoooeee! I had a feeling we might be in for a fierce winter....and if your weather is any indication, I do believe it's coming! That is one wet, sloppy snow, too. Aren't your snows typically powder like ours?

Noone seems to understand where I'm coming from when I complain that Fall is not my favorite season. Oooh! They just love Fall! They can't understand why everyone else doesn't too.

Well, for one everything is dying off and preparing for winter, and secondly, our Fall is so short of a season that it's barely here before winter sets in....and winter s*cks!
I am sooooo NOT looking forward to winter, cold weather, bitter gusty winds, snow, slippery, messy mud and muck!

But, I'll end this comment on a positive note. Your equine trio sure look beautiful in that white stuff :)

Stay warm and dry, NM!

~Lisa

Saddle Mountain Rider said...

Holy crap! I had to read your blog twice to make sure that you werent running pix from last winter.

HorseOfCourse said...

Wow, what a dramatic difference!
Shorts one day, and snow the next!
No fall at all!

And your animals are so cute!

Good luck with the doctor's visit.
Hope you get throught the list and get help.

Once Upon an Equine said...

That sure is a lot of snow! Midge looks happy about it. Very cute.