Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Kitchen Remodel Update

Half of our kitchen is complete....

Meet the newest member of our appliance family...

I had to run out and buy a new toaster, because it is a written law that when one appliance breaks down, they all have to break down. Sure enough our old toaster wouldn't stay down when we'd push the lever down. Since none of us have time to hold the lever down and wait for our bread to toast, I threw it in the trash. Here's our new microwave mounted beneath the vent, which is hidden in the cabinet. My husband says it is pure hell up there in the attic.

We spent a couple of days and shopping trips trying to decide on the cabinet hardware. We found knobs and handles that matched our black and brown counter top perfectly, but our designer discouraged us from buying them. He explained that if you buy hardware through the cabinet companies, they jack up the prices, because they purchase the hardware from the companies that make it, and then jack up the price so that they can make a profit on top of the store's profit. Those handles that matched our counter top cost $18 per handle! And they were made out of some kind of flimsy plastic.

So, we looked in the hardware aisle at The Home Depot, where the average price for a handle was $2 to $3, and discussed the pluses and minuses of each style and color. We looked mostly at black, brown, and silver hardware. For some reason, we weren't interested in the golds. What was more important to me was that we found something that was the size of a hand and smooth with no holes or ridges that I can break my fingernails on. I could totally see me breaking a fingernail every time I reached up into a cup handle. Some of the more decorative handles had sharp or jagged edges. I liked the egg-shaped knobs the best, because you can slip two fingers around them easily and pull. Here's what we settled on...


These have a satin nickel finish. In the past, we've always hung our hand towels from the oven handles, which were on the other side of the kitchen from the sink, so we'd drip water all over the floor while moving from the sink to the towels. We decided to install a couple of hand towel rings right underneath the sink this time around. My husband couldn't find a matching silver finish at The Home Depot, so I stopped at Lowe's and found the last two satin nickel towel rings in town.

We had also searched the Internet for hardware, and I found a website that sold cabinet handles that were spoons, knives, and forks. I loved the novelty of that, but knew I would stab myself every time I opened a fork drawer and cut myself every time I opened a knife drawer. I contemplated buying all spoon handles, but had to consider that we are fixing up the house for the next buyer, who may not think spoons are so cute.

These are the pots and pans drawers. Though it can be difficult to get everything to fit in there, it is a lot better than our old method of piling pots and pans underneath the stove top in one big cabinet. Each time someone pulled a pot out of there, the entire mountain would come clattering down.

Installing the crown molding came to a halt when my husband discovered that we were missing some cabinet pieces. There are several places where we need filler wood to remove some angles before we can put up the crown molding...


Our designer felt bad about forgetting to order that, so he offered to pay for half out of his commission for the entire project. He said we've been good customers.

There was also once location above the refrigerator where we have a gap between cabinets, so we need filler wood to be able to connect them. The cabinet above the refrigerator is not very stable and needs something to hold it up on the right side...

Once all that wood arrives, my husband can finish installing the crown molding. He also needs to install the floor molding, the window sill tiles, and the backsplash behind the range. We'll probably have to touch up the walls and ceiling with more paint too. We can slow down now, though, because at least now we have a functional kitchen, appliances, and water.

13 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Everything looks wonderful. I'd love a new kitchen...one of these days.

Flying Lily said...

Your kitchen is going to be Awesome.

fernvalley01 said...

Looks great ! My cabinets are scheduled for the 10th of November

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Purty! You guys have done such an awesome job!
Those knobs are sleek! I like 'em.

Now all you've got to do is touch-up stuff. Which is mostly just annoying and always seems to go slower than the main project. lol! If you're still planning on redoing the flooring, maybe you'll want to hold off on doing the floor moulding, though.

Your designer sounds like a nice person for offering to make good on being sure your order is completed properly. It's hard to find folks like that anymore.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Your new kitchen look beautiful, I know you will enjoy being in it so much. Love the drawer pulls.

Paint Girl said...

Your kitchen is looking so good! I love those cabinets, and you did a great job picking out the hardware!!
I love the brushed nickel. When we had to remodel our bathroom last year, we went with brushed nickel fixtures.
Hey, I have the exact same horse hand towel!! Too funny!

Leah Fry said...

Congratulations - it's looking beautiful. I know you must be so excited and also so ready for it to be over.

Laura said...

It looks really great - hopefully the finishing touches can be completed soon! Love that 4 slice toaster!

Dr Mom said...

Looking great! We're doing a significant remodel, and the kitchen will be part of it. I really like your comments about drawer pulls etc. We were also looking at ones that cost $15 each (I mean, come on!) and now find Home Depot calling to us....

HorseOfCourse said...

Oh, it looks SO good, congratulations!

I have been catching up on posts again.
I am sorry about the health check, and how it went. I hope you can get some better help.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Gosh, what a lovely kitchen! The light wood and black appliances go very well together. I like your knobs and pulls too.

How well I know about multiples! Last September I had to buy a new water heater, last December, a dishwasher, in June, a used refrigerator, and in September, a microwave. I'm hoping that's it because I've run out of appliances to replace, I hope. LOL!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Your kitchen looks beautiful. Isn't it amazing how much the knobs and handles can cost?! We've been in our house for almost 2 years and I've not found hardware for our cabinets yet.

JeniQ said...

Very beautiful Nuzz!