Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Tack Room Workbench

I'm really bad about cleaning my tack room workbench. Junk piles up over a period of several months and after a while, I just don't see it anymore. Hanging up high are my sunglasses, hat, and headlight, which I wrap around my head when I need to shovel manure at night.

To the left are the scissors I use to cut the twine off the hay bales, a tissue box for the runny nose I get after handling hay, a coffee can filled with old gloves, various ant and wasp killer products, and Wesson Oil for the motor of the water pump. In the center is the radio I was using so that I could ride or shovel manure to music, a can of WD-40 for when the stall doors get stuck, and in the brown bag is my colic emergency kit.

To the right is a pile of old boots and shoes that I'm supposed to be wearing when I clean stalls, but somehow I always forget about them and wear my good boots. There is a roll of duct tape, which resolves all problems from Vet Wrap that won't stick to covering up slivers on wheelbarrow handles. Then there's my trusty hammer, which repairs broken fence panels and pulls hazardous nails out of broken pallets.

I forgot to mention the rocks. Ummmm, they are there for when the horses chew the fence in the winter time, and I don't want to have to walk out in the snow to stop them. I chuck a rock at the fence, which makes a large crash and scares the horses away. What's on your workbench?

13 comments:

lytha said...

oh, i love it! i want to do a tackroom bench blog post! pick me!

i am curious that way, about what people use in their daily lives, working with their horses.

i was really curious about the wesson oil!

but get this, my work stuff is IN the stall with my horse! he doesn't get into it. wd40, check! (did you know they have it in germany too?)

wait, you have white barn shoes?

hopefully your horses poop white!

~lytha

Breathe said...

I have three rubber made boxes as my work bench and they have : Rubber bands, three leatherman-like tools, gloves, alcohol, random curb chains (how did I get so many?), and at least four chewed sponges (darn mice)...

jane augenstein said...

I don't really have a tack room, a small saddle closet is all I have so I keep it pretty neat. Only have so much room, and it's across the road from the barn. In the barn I have my brushes in a rubber carry-all. I keep my horse feed in a slide lidded old ice cream cooler that my husband got for me. It's great, all horse meds and such that don't need the refrig are in there also.
On another note, I see that your blog has been flagged same as mine and a few others I have seen! I have no nav bar at the top of my blog anymore; can't figure out what the heck is going on. It says that we have been flagged as having objectionable content on our blogs???? WHAT??? Hope blogger gets this fixed, it's annoying!!!!!
Jane

fernvalley01 said...

I did a whats in your kit post way back , but what's on my bench ? depends on the day ! I won't take a pic today or you all would laugh at me ! I have had every thing from tractor parts to drunk cats ( a whole other story)

jane augenstein said...

Looking at your blog from Internet Explorer and everything is fine through it. Must be something with Firefox and blogger clashing! crazy!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Fun, maybe I'll post a picture of my work area...after I clean the barn. Ha, I suppose that would be cheating.

What is in your colic emergency bag?

And speaking of wearing good boots to work, I am guilty of treading where I shouldn't in my non-barn shoes too. A couple weeks ago, I had to stop at the store on the way to work and pick up a can of Lysol to spray on the bottom of my Ariat Fat Babies that I decided to wear to work. Washing and scrubbing the bottoms just didn't take out the aroma.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh my goodness, I don't even know! All sorts of stuff lol! Like you I tend to place things up there and then forget about them and than can't find them. lol!
I'll have to take a photo and do a blog post soon.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

The colic emergency kit contains probiotics and Bute, though it should contain Banamine, but all I've got is Bute at the moment.

Today I went outside in some nice pants and shoes only to discover that the water tanks needed cleaning. By the time I was done, I had mud and bleach stains all over my pants and shoes. I wish I would pay attention to what I'm wearing before I start such messy chores.

JeniQ said...

Great post!!! I'm spoiled my private barn has an awesome tack room. I'll do a tack room / space blog next week.

photogchic said...

I am OCD when it comes to my tack and supplies...can you believe I even dust everything once a week? I know..crazy waste of time, but it looks so nice when I wipe all that arena dirt off:-) My bench has lots of daily supplies, ipod player, some hangers with different lunge lines and a whip holder. I haul everything else out of my locker.

Leah Fry said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I need to post about where I keep my stuff. Like Jane, I don't have a tack room, and my stuff gets put wherever there's room.

sue said...

OH Dear, that is a "pet peeve" of mine, counters and benches that have "piles" on them... I just can't stand it, and I try to be patient with my family.. but oh my, I just can't.... that and dishes in the sink... such silly things, but I just have to keep those places organized and neat.. and "photogchic" I am close to do the dusting thing !!!!!

AareneX said...

Okay, that's it. I'm gonna do one...only I don't have a "bench", I have a horse trailer parked next to the paddocks. And my horse trailer dressing room is CRAMMED with stuff!

Check my blog in a couple of days, it's probably gonna be a scary one....