Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Now I've Heard It All

While watching the news on TV last night, I heard a story that just blew me away.  This man who either sleeps in the nude or just got out of the shower went into the kitchen to fix himself a pot of coffee at 5:30 AM.  He turned on the lights and apparently his blinds or shades were not closed.  Some woman and her 7-year-old boy were walking outside in the dark and looked in this guy's window and saw him naked.  The woman called the police and the police arrested the man for indecent exposure!  He's facing up to one year in prison.  What is this world coming to?

If I were that man, I'd turn around and sue the woman for peeping in my windows, and if she was on his property he should hit her for trespassing too.  I, personally, think that people who go for walks in the dark do it because they can look into people's windows.  Perhaps the woman was walking her child to daycare, but I don't know of any daycares that are open at that time of the morning, unless daycare is at Grandma's house.  It's a little early for school to be starting too.  I'd love to know more about her reason for being out there at that hour.  People should be allowed to get comfortable in their own homes.  A lot of people like to strip down to their underwear or nothing when they are behind closed doors.  Clothes are constricting.  No one expects someone to be outside their windows at 5:30 in the morning.  That's ridiculous. 

Other articles I've read say that the woman first saw the man naked in his doorway, and then she said he followed them by appearing in the living room window too, exposing himself a second time.  He said he didn't know anyone was there and was just walking through his house to his kitchen.  I'd love to know if by "doorway" she means he was standing in an open doorway facing her naked, like he was on his way out to pick the newspaper off his driveway or intentionally flashing her, or if he was inside walking past his door and his door just happened to have a transparent portion that she shouldn't have been looking into.  I mean, how did she know he was moving through his living room?  You have to be looking in someone's window pretty deliberately to tell what kind of room is in there.

This concerns me, because I have repeatedly had problems with my neighbor's house guest catching glimpses of me on the toilet and getting out of the shower in my bathroom.  Could I be arrested for keeping my bathroom window open a crack to prevent mold and steam build up?  I've been decent enough not to complain about this man hanging out by my bathroom window at 6:00 in the morning, but maybe I should be calling the police on him?  He seems to know my bathroom habits fairly well.  Honestly, I've had so many problems with Peeping Toms and Peering Nancys that I'm wondering what laws are left to protect our privacy.

12 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

NM, I'm like you, I think we ought to be able to get comfortable in our own houses! My husband, on the other hand, is forever closing the blinds when I walk past after a bath or a shower. ;o)

The story reminds me of a joke my dad used to tell: A woman called the police to report a neighbor running around in his apartment, exposing himself to her. When the cop came, he said, "Well, I can see that he's running around and he looks like he could be naked, but you can't see anything."

And the woman said, "Stand on the bed and use the binoculars!"

fernvalley01 said...

Just wow ! what happened to turning away and moving on? If she and her child inadvertantly saw this man once , why keep looking? WHo knows why people do what they do . I would be pretty shocked if I saw someone looking in my window , but then I have seen me naked and frankly I would wonder why they weren't running the other way screaming!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

GAH!!! Grrrrrr!!

What a nosy woman! I've been flashed by a man before while I was out walking my dog years ago. The man pulled up, got out of his truck and shook his weener at me several times, while leering at me. gah!

I stared at him and then calmly picked my nose and pretended to eat it (I know...gross! But I wanted him to know how pathetically boring and disgusting he was. lol!)
I then turned away and walked on. I think he was rather 'deflated' after that. :D

Now THAT guy should have been arrested because he was outside in broad daylight on a public, busy street.

The man you mentioned was in his own PRIVATE home. That lady did not have to look...and should NOT have looked in his windows.

I often walk around naked before and after my shower, but noone can see in my upstairs bedroom unless they have a pair of binoculars. I always keep my windows open because it's my right to have sunlight, fresh air and views. I paid a lot of money for them! :D


Seriously, though, if you, as a woman are ever seen naked in your own house, there is not a man alive that would call the police to arrest you for indecent exposure. lol!

~Lisa

Molly said...

Don't you think we humans are silly? Especially we Americans.

Groomer Angie said...

That is just crazy! If you can't do what you want in your own home why bother to make mortgage payments & try to own something? Sheesh! Sounds like that nutty woman is related to your crazy neighbors to me.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Katharine - LOL.

fv01 - LOL.

Lisa - ROFLMAO. You made me think of that Richard Dreyfus scene in some movie where he doesn't want to attract attention, so he picks his nose and people get disgusted and look away. Reverse psychology. Eating it was a really nice touch.

Molly - I'm sure there's more to the story, but the news just can't seem to get it all.

Angie - Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing myself.

Reddunappy said...

I seen this too, absolutely rediculous! To be arrested for being naked in your own house, what is this world coming to. I agree with you on him pressing charges on her too.

Mrs Mom said...

Hey NM, if I had your neighbors. my windows would be boarded up. Seriously!! They're just a bucket full of screwballs....

Breathe said...

He needed one of those gnomes...

Michelle said...

Weird....I can't imagine those charges would stick. I am sure there's more to the story than this, but I can't believe any circumstance would validate putting him in jail! That woman must have a lot of repressed anger she needs to deal with.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, good grief! I mean, the man was in his own house! Jeeze! Sometimes I walk around in a large T-shirt with my %ss sticking out (I'm sure!). And, after a long day, and my feet hurt, and I'm tired, all I want to do is get out of my clothes! We do have a fence around our front yard, so somebody would have to go up to the fence and peer in! The dogs would probably go nuts anyway. Frankly, if I were him, I'd sue her and her kid for harassment.

Promise said...

I heard this story also and can't even describe how livid stuff like this makes me. This woman could destroy his life if this goes through court, because he will almost certainly get labeled as a sex offender. Honestly, don't look in his windows...he was inside his OWN house, and can walk around how he damn well pleases! Get a life and keep your eyes to yourself.