Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Who's the Boss?



"Who's the boss" has been the theme of my day. I got word at work that the C.E.O. is unhappy with my department, so he put someone else in charge. We've changed guard many times, but no one seems capable of lassoing the wild characters within our department. There are several rogue workers who insist on doing their own thing, who don't take orders well, and who don't play well with others.

I'm actually very happy with their choice of who will be managing us. I think this guy can pull it all together, and I suspect that if any of those rogue workers refuse to cooperate, they'll find themselves hitting the sidewalk in search of other work. This change couldn't have come at a better time for me. I was getting seriously burnt out and discouraged by the lack of teamwork.

"Who's the boss" is also a question I've continued to pose to the horses each evening when I put them in their stalls. I open the doors to Bombay and Gabbrielle's stalls and encourage them to go in, but Lostine tries to chase them away. She thinks she's the Queen Bee who always gets to go in first.

So, I have to gain Bombay and Gabbrielle's trust by keeping Lostine's bared teeth and pinned ears at bay while they enter their stalls. Each night they get a little more confident in following my orders and ignoring Lostine's bullish ways, and Lostine is learning to behave herself and be patient.

I think once it is clear that I'm the boss, my authority will translate better in the saddle. I might actually experience less spooking and bucking. We'll see.

11 comments:

Breathe said...

I just went through this at the barn myself - my horse hangs out with a horse who pins his ears at everyone. But because I need to deal with him and I have been in a pretty ... abrasive space with horses, he's not pinning at me anymore.

a good boss can make all the difference. Hope he has the guts to get rid of people who can't figure out how to work well with others...

fernvalley01 said...

Being the boss is key jhere , and kinda cool too! I can part the herds like the red sea if I need to to take someone out of there (injured or in trouble ) and its great to be able to get the horse I want to do what I want without the risk of being stomped by the other s. It does help that I raised all bot one or 2 of them . Easy to become boss whaen they think you are bigger thasn them!(lol)

Shirley said...

I think humans should be the leader of all the animals in their care. Of course, to cats we are just staff.

Paint Girl said...

I sure hope that the new boss at work gets things back in order! Can't wait to see how it goes!
Glad Lostine is starting to behave herself and letting the others into their stalls at night.

Leah Fry said...

Hope the new boss makes it better where you work. Thank goodness for hope, or we'd all go postal.

Poco is in one of his defiant modes also, and I'm having to be play mean cafeteria lady again. I think the fall makes him a bit too frisky.

Mrs Mom said...

Fingers crossed that work smooths out a bit now. Things have been a bear on you lately for sure!!

Sounds like the "old mare" is going to learn herself some new tricks there, and also about Boss Hoss ;) (No no no-- that did not sound right. Man I need more coffee.... OLD MARE is NOT YOU!!)

Right. Before I put my foot in it again, I'll just say go get em!! ;)

Michelle said...

It's amazing - you'd think in this economy people would be breaking their backs to make their employers happy. I really don't get it.

It's awesome that you're establishing your dominance among the herd. It must be amazing to watch it happen!

Katharine Swan said...

Question -- if Lostine chases the others off, do you then chase her off? I mean make her run a lap or two, and really sound like you mean it! That's how I got the alpha at Panama's old barn to stop chasing him when I was messing with him -- in effect, I had to do the same thing to the alpha that he was doing to the other horses, in order to get the point across that when I was around, I was the boss.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Sometimes I chase Lostine off, sometimes I just hold her at bay with my body language. It depends on my energy level. I have nothing left in me after a day when I've commuted two hours and put in a 10-hour work day.

The other thing is that I am the boss of Lostine. She does show me respect. The problem is that the other two horses view Lostine as being higher on the totem pole than me. If I tell the horses to go into their stalls and Lostine tells them to stay away, they will stay away. So, that's what I've been working on. I want the horses to listen to me. It's okay for them to listen to Lostine when I'm not around, but if I am around, my word overrides hers.

Katharine Swan said...

Ohhhhh, I get it. It isn't that you aren't the boss of Lostine, it's trying to make the others see that you're the boss of Lostine. Got it.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Way to go, Alpha Mare, you!
And I hope this new boss will make your working life a much better experience.

~Lisa