Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's Time to Play "The Jacket Game"

The only horse who doesn't love The Jacket Game is Lostine, yet Lostine is the only horse who ever wins it. The objective of the game is simple: Whichever horse volunteers to be my coat rack and keeps my jacket on its back the longest wins the game.

Gabbrielle's sense of smell amazes me...

Her nose always goes straight for the pocket that last held some horse treats...

Clinton Anderson would be proud of her flexibility.

Bombay is very sneaky about the way he plays The Jacket Game. I have to keep my eye on him.

Gabbrielle always has to get one last sniff in of that pocket that once held treats. Bombay thinks she's grooming him, so he grooms her back.

Bombay tolerates the jacket on his back for about a minute, and then reaches around...

...pulls it off and starts swinging it around in his mouth. Geldings must always dominate their nemesis.


He even offers Gabbrielle a bite...

Together they try to shred it...

Then comes Lostine to the rescue...

...and she always wins, regardless of how hot she gets and how humiliated she feels.

12 comments:

Andrea said...

Bombay just cracks me up. He has such the personality! And Gabbrielle is really filling out. She is almost as big as Bombay! Love the pictures, they made me smile!!

allaroundhorses said...

I love it!

The jacket game...I might just have to try this. I can only imagine what they would do. I guess sometimes like when I am in the barn and doing their tails I will drape my coat over their backs.

fernvalley01 said...

Poor long suffering Lostine (lol) I couldn't do that for fear of never seeing the jacket again!

Breathe said...

Poor Lostine. She really looks completely embarrassed. Still I say that color looks great on her.

JeniQ said...

The jacket game is a wonderful thing. I love it! I even go as far as pulling the hood of my jacket up to and over my horses ears so it looks like they are wearing hats.

Your arabs are beautiful makes me miss my childhood horse Sassy.

Katharine Swan said...

JeniQ -- I do that too! :o)

NM, I love the pictures. I've discovered I have to do this kind of thing periodically, otherwise Panama forgets it's a game and gets scared of the jacket again.

I also like to drape a towel over his back and let him carry it around for me. He likes to shake a like a dog and dump the towel in a mud puddle. Silly geldings. ;o)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love the jacket game! What a great idea. Bombay is so funny. Does he ever flip the jacket onto Gabbrielle or Lostine's backs by accident?
I should try this with Baby Doll. I'm sure she'll give me 'annoyed face', though.

And yes, Clinton Anderson would be quite impressed with Gabbrielle's aweome flexibility.

~Lisa


word verification: lachip

La Chip is a Potato Chip made in France...the same place that French Fries are made...(LOL!)

Laura said...

Cute pictures - what a silly bunch they are!

Cheryl Ann said...

I think I'll start doing this with my mustangs, although I bet Scout would shred my jacket~!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Bombay hasn't thrown the jacket over anyone's back yet, but I have to shoo him away after I put the jacket on the other horses' backs, because he will pull it off them too. However, Lostine usually chases him off with a glare, which is why she always wins. She understands that part of her job is to protect the jacket, so that when Mom is ready to wear it again, it remains warm and clean. Obviously, I had to throw it in the washer after Bombay's antics during this episode.

lytha said...

NM, I think your Bombay is really something special. I wish Baasha would pick things up, but honestly, he has never put anything in his mouth that wasn't food in his entire life. (OK I cannot speak for the first year...)

Bombay would wreck havoc here! And we would love it! Think of all the things he could teach Baasha.

~lytha

Callie said...

Your horse just crack me up! Bombay is a class clown!