Friday, November 13, 2009

Lost and Found

Half way through the day I discovered that one of my earrings was missing. I retraced my steps through the house and the car, and then realized that I had spent the majority of the morning mucking stalls and cleaning the paddock. I knew that trying to find the missing earring in a pile of shavings, decomposed granite, or manure is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but I searched for it anyway.

While looking, I found an old nail that was the perfect size, length and sharpness to be driven up into the inside of a hoof. The nail was in a strange location. It was near the chain-link fence which divides my property from my neighbor's property. Chain-link fencing doesn't have nails. My barn doesn't have nails. The only thing around the horse paddock that does have nails is the wooden fence, but those nails are much thicker and longer.

This nail had to have been thrown into my yard over or through the chain-link fence. The way in which my neighbor constantly piles his construction trash against the fence, it doesn't surprise me that a nail might roll out of the pile into my horse paddock. I'm really good about keeping nails, rocks, and shards of glass out of the horse paddock. With the number of years that my horses have been galloping up and down that fence line, it just doesn't make sense that they would dig up some old nail out of the ground just now. Nails were appearing up out of the ground when we first moved here 15 years ago, but it hasn't been a recent occurrence.

I remember thinking how fortunate it was for me to find that nail before it caused injury to one of my horses. I was perfectly willing to sacrifice an old earring if the search for it led me to finding that nail.

A short time later I also found a penny from heaven, although a little too late for the Sunday Stills currency challenge.

Though this happened last weekend, I thought it would be appropriate to post on Friday the 13th, since it involves some bad luck that turned into good luck.

7 comments:

photogchic said...

The nail might have been a better find than the earring! Looks like luck is on your side this Friday the 13th.

Kate said...

Glad the nail didn't end up in a horse hoof - if a horse could find it, it would! I had a horse step on a nail - abscess resulted, but luckily nothing worse.

fernvalley01 said...

Glad you found the nail ,and the lucky penny!

Anonymous said...

I use one of those magnet-on-a-stick things from the hardware store (@ $15) to check problem areas fpr nails and the like. Well worth it! AnNd yeah, I think the nail was the more valuable find for you!

Johara said...

I've lost more then one earring (all from different pairs!) while outside feeding and blanketing such after work. Keep hoping I'll find them one day lol.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's a good thing you found the nail. You may yet find the earring.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I never wear earrings in my barn or paddocks. The only time I wear earrings is if I go somewhere special...like when I flew up to see you. lol!

On the other hand I am always finding broken glass, shard of old pottery, rusty nails, old pieces of appliances, garden tools, and even old bones in and around my barn. I bought a very cool tool from Northern Tool that is magnetic, sort of like a metal detector, but without batteries. It comes in handy, but after every windy day, rain, snow, or any serious horse activity, new garbage shows up in the dirt. I swear, the folks who lived her long ago must have used this area as a dump.....like your neighbors. gah!