Monday, November 2, 2009

Time Change Mishaps

When the time changes, we always have mishaps thanks to being creatures of habit. Last night it was fairly dark when I put the horses in their stalls, so I couldn't see what I was doing very well. I am in the habit of setting out a flake of hay in each feed trough for the morning, so that when I'm in a hurry to get to work, all I have to do is open the stall doors to let the horses out. They each eat their own flakes in about the same amount of time, so there aren't any problems with one horse getting too much and others not getting enough.

This morning I walked outside to find Lostine out of her stall helping herself to all three breakfasts. Apparently, I hadn't successfully locked her stall door last night in the dark and she figured it out. Fortunately, she only ate her own flake of hay and was just starting on Gabbrielle's when I walked out, so I don't have to worry about colic or founder from overeating. I did have to lock her up in her stall while the other two horses ate, though. She's such a stinker. She's always checking the gate to see if I forgot to lock it whenever I walk in or out of the paddock. You can't let your guard down for a minute with that mare.

9 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Sneaky buggers aren't they?My friends old mare could slip out a gate right behind you and you wouldn't see her till it was done!

Katharine Swan said...

There was an older Arab gelding at a barn where I used to board who knew how to open gates if all you did was wrap the chain. It didn't matter how securely you wrapped the chain, either. The only way to prevent him from opening a gate and letting himself out was to use one of those little double-sided clips! Talk about not being able to let your guard down!

Breathe said...

Lily has this same tendency. She just knows people are going to forget the gate and when they do she's in the alfalfa!

Paint Girl said...

Lostine the escape artist! She is a stinker!

Lulu said...

LOL! Someone got tired of waiting for you!!!

I always prepare for the next meal when doing chores. When I clean the stall in the morning I refil the water and put hay in the hay bunk. Then, in the evening, after I put the horse in, I put hay outside for her morning feeding. Things just seem to move more smoothly that way.

desertsandbeyond said...

I used to call Beauty "Miss Piggy"!

lytha said...

i didn't know what you meant by time change for a long time.

now i know, you changed your clocks!

we did that last week (or was that two weeks ago?).

~lytha

Jame said...

We call one of our Belgian geldings, Tucker, Mr. Houdini. We've now resorted to leaving his halter on & tying him so he can't get his teeth around the butt chains of their standing stalls at night. Bobby, his teammate, gets real upset when Tucker finds his way outside to stuff his face & Bobby's stuck inside.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yes, that's a Pembroke Corgi. She's getting older and has lost her flexibility to clean herself, so the only way to get the gunk off her butt is to shave it. We have to do the same thing with the Shelty, because he's just a slob and never even tries to clean himself. Plus he's got such thick fur that it gets in the way of his aim for the grass. In the winter months the dingle-berries get frozen to his fur and he brings them into the house. Gross.