Friday, December 18, 2009

December 18th

Interesting day. I honestly don't know where it went. I wasn't able to sit down and relax until 7:00 PM. I sure have a lot to do for someone who is on vacation.

I started off the morning doing laundry and odd chores such as throwing out the dead flowers leftover from Thanksgiving. Then I wrapped Christmas gifts. As I was setting the gifts under the tree, the phone rang. It was my boss. My heart dropped when I heard his voice. I figured there was an emergency at the office and he needed my help. That's sad if the company can't last three days without me. He sensed my fear and said, "I promise I'm not calling to ask you to do any work over your vacation."

That statement allowed me to relax and listen to what he had to say better. He notified me that he made the decision to fire one of my coworkers. This was difficult news to know how to react to. First off, I feel awful for the guy getting fired one week before Christmas. On the other hand, I've worked for companies that laid me off after Christmas, and I was angry that they didn't do it before Christmas so that I could have known not to spend so much money over the holidays. However, I'm actually surprised that this coworker had not been let go sooner. He made an art out of avoiding work.

Hopefully, they will replace him with someone who has a family to feed and is motivated to be a strong team player. I could really use some help. If they could just get one more person in my department who has a good work ethic, then perhaps I can put in less hours and spend more time doing the things I love rather than sitting at my computer for 10 to 16 hours a day doing everyone else's job because they were too irresponsible to do it themselves. I take my job seriously, because I know that if I don't do a good job, the company could lose a lucrative contract, which could result in all my coworkers losing their jobs. I'd rather see one or two slackers let go every once in a while than to have me struggling to keep our company's reputation afloat all by myself. Anyway, my boss told me that it's been really hard on them making it through the past few days without me, but he'll try to leave me alone for the rest of my vacation.

Once I absorbed that news, I sent out Christmas cards. An odd thing happened with that. I had put an outgoing bill payment in my mailbox and raised the red flag to let the mailman know there was something to pick up. I then went out later to put the bundle of Christmas cards in the box and my flag was down. I couldn't believe that the mail carrier had arrived already. However, when I opened my box, my outgoing bill was still in it. This is the third time this has happened in the past few weeks.

My mail carrier is really good at his job. He doesn't make amateur mistakes like putting a flag down and forgetting to pick up the outgoing mail. That means that someone has been playing around with my mailbox. My nosy neighbor's mailbox is right next to mine. I opened her box to peek inside to see if her mail had been delivered. She had a stack of outgoing mail in her box, which means that she was at the mailboxes earlier, but the mail carrier hadn't arrived yet. She immediately became my first suspect for playing with my flag. She has a habit of messing around with things that don't belong to her. The first thing she did when she moved into the neighborhood was to take down our street sign. I had to pay $150 out of my own pocket to replace it, because she wouldn't own up to what she did, despite us seeing her do it. She's so odd that I've given up second guessing her motives.

I ended up driving into town to mail my bill payment and Christmas cards just because I didn't trust her to stay out of my box. I know I opened her box, but it was with good intentions. I just wanted to know if I missed the mail carrier or not. However, putting someone's flag down when they have mail that needs to be picked up is a behavior that doesn't have good intentions.

After dropping off the mail in town and doing the marketing, my son and I turned onto our street and headed for our driveway. Suddenly, this car flew out in front of us scaring me to death, and I had to slam on my brakes on ice. It was my nosy neighbor. She had been parked at the end of my driveway again, only on the opposite side of the street -- the WRONG side of the street. She was probably snooping and got scared when I came around the corner, so she pulled away from the fence, swerved in front of me, and got back over into her lane. She drove past with this sheepish expression on her face, so I know I caught her doing something -- I just don't know exactly what.

I was surprised to see that my husband came home from work early. December 18th is a special day for us. You may recall last year that this was the day my husband gave me my new Tucker trail saddle. It's our wedding anniversary. My husband and son helped unload the groceries. I was in such a zone that I didn't see the beautiful bouquet of roses and gift on the table.

They smell awesome. The gift turned out to be a Kindle!

Now I can read without having to go to the bookstore or wait for books to be shipped. I can get instant gratification for my reading pleasure. The timing of this gift was perfect, because I want to submit some of the poems I have written in recent years to some literary journals, but I'm not sure which journals are still in business, and whether or not they have the same address as they did years ago. My last Poet's Market was published in 2003. Now I can get myself a 2009 or 2010 Poet's Market for much less money than the hardback or paperback editions, and know I have the most recent information for the literary journals I choose to submit my work to. I can also use the audio feature and have the computer read for me when my eyes are too tired to do so.

Once we finished putting the groceries away, I gave my husband his gift, then I had to run outside to clean stalls and put the horses to bed. Then it was time to go out to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant in town. I had the world's most delicious picadillo taco salad with a Negra Modelo to wash it down. Then we drove home and I got to sit down and play with my new Kindle. :)

11 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

You are right, an odd day, But it certainly seems to have ended well. HAppy Aniversary! Beautiful flowers

Jan's Place USA and Mt Forest Pictures said...

That is scary about your neighbor.. we have a neighbor like that. He has killed my cats, and my little lap dog. We heard that he has bragged about it, but because we cant prove it...

We have had strange things happen. He hates animals, and is a snoop.

Watch your back!

Jan's Place USA and Mt Forest Pictures said...

PS.. Happy Anniversary... a Kindle, how exciting!
Sorry I got sidetracked on my neighbor!

Leah Fry said...

Happy Anniversary to you both.

It makes me sad when people lose their jobs in this economy, but right before Christmas is tough. I know what you mean, though. Employers can't afford to have any dead wood. Hope they get you someone that actually pulls their own weight.

Every time I think I've heard it all with your neighbors, you astonish me with their latest antics.

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary!

Glad you are getting a couple of days to go get errands done and go out for dinner with the hubby! The kindle sounds great - I want one!

Anonymous said...

We were married July 18, 1965 and every month since then we have wished each other a happy 18th. Yesterday my husband called from work to just say happy 18th and I love you.

All Around said...

Neat a Kindle, you should let us know how you like it! Is it like looking at a computer screen, or like looking at paper?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Jan - That's really upsetting. If I had a neighbor who I knew killed my pets, he'd be regretting it. That's all I can say. I can put up with a lot, but animal abuse and murder...

All Around - I haven't ordered any books on the Kindle yet. I'm waiting until after Christmas, because the main book I need will come out then and also because I'd hate to buy something that someone got me for Christmas in paperback. It is somewhere between looking at a computer screen and a book. It's the size of paperback book. You can make the font bigger to see it better or smaller to have more words on the page. The screen doesn't not have a problem with glare from sunlight. I'll let you know more once I get into the habit of using it.

Shirley said...

Happy Anniversary Nuz Muz! What beautiful flowers, and I must confess, I have no idea what a Kindle is! (No techno savvy here!)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I've wondered about the Kindle. I love books so much that I think I worry that the Kindle will be too much like a computer. And quite honestly I am such a huge technophobe. lol!
You'll have to let us know what you think of it after you've used it for a while. I love your detailed helpful reviews.

Happy Anniversary! The dinner sounds yummy! So what did hubby get?
heheheh!


~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - I can tell you that the Kindle is very easy to use. You have a home button, a keypad to type in searches, a joystick to navigate, a Back button, and buttons to move to the Next Page and Previous Page. There not much to it beyond that. The cost of buying books is much less and think of all the shelf space you save! The majority of the space along my walls is bookshelves. We literally have no more room. I was thinking of turning one of the kids' bedrooms into a library once they move out permanently, but now I don't have to with the Kindle.