Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I Saw the Light(s)

Woo hoo! I finished out my last day of work and don't have to return for another 12 days! I walked outside in the dark to pick up the day's mail delivery, looked around me and saw this...

Just the white lights in snow gives such a crisp, clean feeling...

Oops! I think the reindeer lost his two front legs.

Some neighbors worked hard to bring holiday cheer to everyone. Then there is us...

With our jobs, I don't think we have had the time nor energy to decorate the outside of our house in years. I remember my father stringing lights along our balcony, but don't recall ever having lights up around the outside of any of the houses my husband and I have lived in since we've been married. But then again, my father came home from his job at 4:20 PM every day and always got his weekends off. My husband and I work much longer hours and somehow make much less money than my father's single income brought in back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's (in relation to the value of the dollar.) Oh, how times have changed. It's nice to see that some people still carry on traditions.

Oh by the way, we didn't close our blinds before it got dark outside, so I was able to get a good view of what Peeping Nancy sees when she takes her walks after dark...

My husband said he was sorry that he actually had clothes on when I took the picture. Usually, that's not the case.

13 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

NM, we haven't decorated for Christmas at all this year, so don't feel bad! I want to make Christmas stockings for a few friends at the barn, and that's probably the most I'll do for decorating. We don't put up outdoor lights, either, although I remember my dad doing it too. Usually we put up a Christmas tree but this year we haven't even felt like doing that! Bah humbug!

The D-Meister said...

Hahahaha!

KD said...

Boy... I hope you get a chance to relax and have fun with your family and horses. Hopefully no one from work will have an emergency and call you.

Hate to admit it, but if I'm taking a walk in the evening, I like it when folks leave their front windows open and I get a glimpse of what their house looks like inside. That being said....I've never stalked anyone.

Shirley said...

Hmmm. Peeping tom neighbors! Hope you have truly enjoyable days off, and don't let those neighbors get to you. Maybe if you invite them over for a Christmas drink they'd mellow out and leave you alone!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

LOL, on the peeping tom picture!

12 days! You won't know what to do with yourself with that much time on your hands! Enjoy it!

Janice said...

Maybe you should have your hubby put on a show for Peeping Nancy, or maybe not that might be what she's after.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Make sure to tell hubby I appreciate that he wore clothes during my visit last month......I'm just sayin'.

Oh! And pretty lights. Now, go and enjoy your Christmas vacation. You earned it!


~Lisa

Mrs Mom said...

WHOOOHOOOO!!! TIME OFF!! That is excellent news!!!

Love the outdoor lights. They always look so very pretty against the snow. (Lights down here in the Southland are nice, but... well, when you grow up seeing them glow in snow, it's just not the same. Course they DO look pretty twinkling on all the flood water of late...)

Anyways-- wicked excited that you get some time OFF!!!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Cheryl Ann said...

Nuzz, we haven't had the energy either to even put up lights this year! Hubby is now off for the next 2 weeks, so maybe I'll leave him a "honey do" list!!!

fernvalley01 said...

DO enjoy you holiday! glad the hubby was dressed too , hate to see you guys get in trouble for posting beefcake pics(lol)

Leah Fry said...

LOL, TMI, Nuz, TMI!

We didn't do outdoor lights either. It's really a 2-person job, but with Mr. Fry working nights, never the twain shall meet. Besides, the house sits so far back off the road, nobody can really see it anyway.

Enjoy your time off!!

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

We never put anything on the outside of our houses until we moved here to New Mexico. Being retired, we have more time, but almost everyone does something around here, so we didn't want to be left out.

I'm also glad your husband had his clothes on.

Dan

Rising Rainbow said...

No lights here either. Too many horses........not enough time....but lights sure do brighten the winter darkness. Makes me feel better to see them.