Saturday, January 16, 2010

Bombay Gets the Job Done

We were blessed with a few glorious hours of sunshine today, so I removed the horses' blankets, put them together in the paddock and let them roll in the mud. They were happy to see me until...

...I brought out the dreaded rattling hot pink hula hoop. Lostine snorted and said, "Get that thing away from me!"

Gabbrielle threw her tail up over her back and snorted to warn all the horses in the neighborhood of impending doom.

Both girls took off at a fast trot that broke into a gallop.

I chased them around a bit, but eventually Gabbrielle stopped to gather her wits and get a good look at it.

Bombay just stood around calmly wondering what the big deal was about.

Bombay says, "See Dobbie girl, I can stick just one ear up into the air too!"

Let's have a moment of silence while Bombay shows us how it's done...



What a pro! Then there's the mares...

...still running. Where you going, Lostine? What's the big hurry?

Lostine worked up such a big sweat, that I tossed the hula hoop on the ground and petted her to settle her down. When I turned around, this is what I found...

Bombay has never been one to pass up a new toy.

He began carrying it toward me, so I thought he was playing fetch...

But then he walked right past me and headed over to where the mares were now grooming one another.

He dropped it, but picked it right back up and continued on his journey...

And he promptly spanked Gabbrielle in the butt with the hula hoop.

Amazingly, despite frantically running from me when I had the hula hoop, Gabbrielle stood still and allowed Bombay to hang that hoop on her butt. Leave it up to Bombay to accomplish something I couldn't do myself. I laughed really hard and gave them both a ton of praise.

Sorry, D-Meister. I promise I'll buy you a new hula hoop. Let's just say it's not as aerodynamic as it used to be.

15 comments:

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

That is so cool. Bombay is a super horse.

Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

Dan

Sydney said...

Haha thats funny leave it up to them to desensitize each other.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That was great! He really showed them!! You should be very proud of Bombay.

Reddunappy said...

LOL Horses are so funny, great shots!

Julie K said...

ah ha ha ha Your story made me laugh out loud!! Bombay definitely showed you :)

Katharine Swan said...

Oh, NM, your post and all your pictures gave me the best laugh I've had all day. I just love Bombay's antics. It's totally like he was copycatting what you were doing with the hula hoop. :-D

In some ways, he is so much like Panama. He can be totally okay with stuff like this, but put him by something he should be totally fine with -- say, a trash can at the fairgrounds -- and he loses his marbles. That's Panama too -- totally unflappable when I'm swinging a rope at him, hanging a hula hoop over his neck, or even shaking a plastic bag at him, yet he still won't walk across the Line of Death without freezing up, and he is STILL scared of virtually everything in the indoor arena (though he is slowly getting better).

Mikey said...

Lol, that is the coolest horse! Just step back and let him train the girls. Seriously. The horse has major talent!

KD said...

That is hilarious !!!

Breathe said...

Wow! He's a horse whisperer!


LOL That was a hilarious turn of events! I can just see him saying "It's all in the approach, Mom."

Laura said...

Those are super pictures!!!! :-)

That Bombay is quite the character.

Leah Fry said...

You get the glory, or rather, Bombay does for making me LOL this morning.

BTW, I just love the name Bombay.

aurora said...

Cracked me up!! I love the photo of Bombay walking towards you with the hulahoop parallel/in front of him. What a character!! I'm still smiling - toooo funny!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bombay would make a terrific Trick Pony. Just imagine the things you could teach him with his unflappable, curious, tolerant nature. What a great horse he is.
And good for him trying to show the ladies that the hula hoop is a fun toy.

I loved that photo of Gabbrielle's head tilted at the hula hoop. Great angle and capture!

And you made me smile.....the first time I've been able to do that for the past few days....at Bombay's comment to Dobbie. Very cute! :)

Thanks,
~Lisa

TCavanaugh said...

I love the picutres; they tell a great story! It is funny that he is so calm and the girls are so skittish. Nice to know he uses what you teach him. Hmmm, wonder what happens in the barn at night? LOL

horseypants said...

Sign me up for the "I Love Bombay" fan club!