Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Feels Like Oregon

It rained all night in my part of Nevada and we awoke to more flooding. That beautiful new stack of hay I just bought will probably mold in no time, because it is soaked through and through. We do have a very large tarp covering the top half of it, but this rain was blown around so much by the wind that it went straight into the uncovered sides of the haystack.

Plus you can see that the puddle beneath it is so deep that the water is being soaked up through the bottom of the stack despite it being raised up on wooden palettes. This is very unusual weather for Nevada.

Even though it is just the beginning of January, we had enough of the right combination of moisture and sunshine to grow grass on our RV lane, which is supposed to be made of rock and pebbles. The horses are going to have good eatin' if I can get them out here to graze before the next snowfall. They will have to be willing to jump puddles to get to it, though.

This is what the horses will have to walk through to get from the barn to the grass...

And this is what I will have to push the wheelbarrow through to dispose of all the manure they will create once they eat the grass...

I turned off my Driveway Patrol last night, because I didn't want to have to run out into the rain to investigate what or who has been triggering it during the night. However, I was woken at 3:00 AM by a horse kicking its stall door so loudly that it sounded like my bedroom was the inside of a drum. I put on a jacket and some boots, grabbed a flashlight and ran outside into a really intense downpour. Just running to the barn soaked my hair to my head.

Bombay was slightly nervous, but then again he's always nervous. Lostine was running circles in her stall and she wouldn't let me pet her, so I figured she was the one kicking the stall door to try to get out. Gabbrielle was as relaxed as can be. She hugged me and sighed in my ear, allowing me to cradle her head in my arms. Gabbrielle has the loudest stall. Her roof is made of a thinner aluminum and it shakes and rattles in the wind. She's used to it. Somehow, despite living through 22 years of storms, Lostine was the horse that ended up freaking out over the rainfall. There was nothing behind the barn on this night.

I finally got Lostine to settle down and she let me pet her. I said, "Go to bed. No more stall kicking."

A flicker of comprehension came into her eye. She knew what I was talking about. I went back into the house and didn't hear anymore kicking the rest of the night.

14 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Sorry you lost your hay!
Yeah there is no way up here in western Washington and Oregon that hay can stay outside, all of it is usually inside barns, where it will still mold if it isnt cured right or there is high humidity. On the East side of the states they do stack it outside, most of our hay comes from the East side of the Cascade Mtns.Hay prices are down this year for us, I have felt good that it has only been $10.50-11.00 a bale for two tsting grass with some alfalfa.

fernvalley01 said...

Yikes ! that is soupy looking!.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gah! All that hay ruined! Oh man, I'm sorry. What a loss. Sounds like you could use a hay barn to store your hay during the winter. Maybe you could even store it in your horse trailer and not buy as much of it at a time?

The area we have for hay is just inside and along the back wall of the barn and can store approx. 60-70 3-string bales. Wish we had even more space for hay, but with only one horse, and the llamas, goats and sheep it works out pretty good.

I can't imagine how long your ground will take to soak up all that water. It was already saturated with the melting snow and ice. And don't you just hate it when manure is dripping, soaking wet? Makes it next to impossible to scoop up. What a mess.

Looks like you could use a boat! lol!

And look at all that green grass during the winter even. wow!


~Lisa

Sydney said...

Agh not the hay!
It may be worth the investment to build a lean-to for it.
Something I did this summer at one of the barns I work at is got PVC pipe and drilled holes about 1/2 inch diameter along one side (the top) and laid them in areas in front of the barn that water ALWAYS laid and turned to ice. The fall it was dry and the winter theres no ice! I love it I would do it again in a second. We tried tiling it with normal black pipe stuff but it didn't do a darn thing.

Stephanie said...

oh what a mess you have!!

Ruined hay, muddy soupy puddles... hopefully all that water will soak in before yo uhave the next freeze or you will be iceskating for a while.

On the positive side... Green Grass in january! Oh they are going to LOVE that treat. :)

JeniQ said...

One word.. ICK !

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Yep, that's a mess. However, I'm sure you can handle it. I've had to get up at 3 in the morning several times to figure out what our horses, usually my gelding, were up to and quiet them/him down.

Dan

sue said...

Oh my goodness, I thought New England was the place for strange weather.. I'm so sorry about the hay... and I love the camera and drive way bell, I think I;m going to look for one of those bells for our drive..

good luck, hope things dry out for you soon...

Leah Fry said...

Wow, I thought you were in the midst of snow, as in skiing. I'll say that's unusual. I hope your hay isn't in as dire shape as you think, but man, that's a lot of water.

LOVE your cart/wheelbarrow.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I sure hope your hay isn't a total loss. If the bales are tight, they can usually withstand some moisture exposure although the bottom row is probably at the most risk.

Gah, what a lot of standing water! Poor you and the horses!

Katharine Swan said...

Everyone break out the hair dryers -- we gotta save NM's hay! ^_^

Lostine is so funny. You've written about telling her to behave before, and it seems like she always knows what you mean!

Breathe said...

Every day I pass a tarp sales place and I think of you - but now you need a hay ark!

I think its wonderful that you were able to communicate with Lostine. That is something else!

Andrea said...

Gosh, you look like you live down here. That stinks about all that nice looking hay!! I would be crying!! I hope it dries out!! Maybe on a sunny day uncover it???

What a mess, all that water and mud. Horses don't help with the mud issue either. Trust me, we have some serious mud down here. We've had so much rain our horses' pasture is nothing but water! Their hooves are so soft. I have three lame horses right now.

Shirley said...

You know that area at the back of your barn that the neighbors haunt? Matbe you could run a lean-to off the roof line to the back fence and store your hay under that; it would sure piss off the NN's if they couldn't hang out back there!