Friday, January 15, 2010

Hula Hoop Horrors

Katharine Swan over at Pony Tales Blog wrote a post in which she talked about her horse trainer using a hula hoop to desensitize Katherine's Arabian gelding Panama. Of course, that gave me ideas. You know how I love to torture my horses by desensitizing them, even if it is to weird objects that they would only see in a circus and probably never on the trail.

My daughter's pink hula hoop is perfect since it makes noise when you shake it. All I have had time to do is shake it around the horses, roll it toward their feet, and spin it on the ground. Bombay did let me put it around his neck and then pull it right off. I wouldn't advise hanging it on a horse's neck and letting go, because if the horse panics and takes off, it could wring its neck by getting the hula hoop caught on a fence or even get a front leg through it. The girls are really freaked out by it. Here's Gabbrielle's typical reaction to something new and interesting...








14 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, gosh! She is just so cute!!!!

Once Upon an Equine said...

She is sure one curious girl. And pink is her color.

Katharine Swan said...

I love the way Gabbrielle curls her head to look at something she's afraid of. Panama does that too.

The hula hoop we have been desensitizing Panama with doesn't have the rattling stuff inside of it. That is next!

We've found with Panama that he's much better with having it over his head than having it around his butt. That freaked him out quite a bit at first and he ran circles around us (we had his bridle on and a firm grip on the reins). But he's more or less gotten over it now!

Congratulations on the progress! And I love the pictures!

Katharine Swan said...

P.S. I bet if you left that hula hoop lying around somewhere, Bombay would have a grand time playing with it. ;o)

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Those are great pictures. I use a hula hoop with our guys as well every spring. We also have orange road cones and I'll put American flags in each of those and get the horses to go between them. We also use the garden flowers that spin in the wind. Finally, we use nerf swim bars and get the horses step over them. All of this works best on a breezy day. It's always a fun time.

Dan

Breathe said...

That last look is so great! If I was that hula hoop, I'd be pretty intimidated.

Flying Lily said...

Those photos are priceless. She could NOT be looking any harder at that hula hoop! I'm surprised it didn't melt under her gaze.

Leah Fry said...

In that 6th shot, she has her head cocked like my little dog Cindi. Cuteness!

aurora said...

Grrreat pictures, they made me smile!! You can almost read her mind...what is THAT? is it going to EAT me?...smells okay...maybe it's not SO bad...lol - she is a cutie!!

JeniQ said...

Cute cute cute !!!!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Those are such beautiful headshots! I've got a HUGE exercise ball that I have been meaning to take out to the horses. Hmmm, you inspire me.

Mikey said...

She's so funny!! Love that look!

TCavanaugh said...

I love the neck bend and nose flare...if I were the hula, I would have moved! :)

Great pictures.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Love her pretty ears pointed full force towards the hula hoop. She is the prettiest mare. Such a femmie face.


~Lisa