Friday, January 22, 2010

It's a Comin'

If you live east of Nevada, it's a comin'. It's been snowing all week here, but yesterday's storm was the biggest so far. We finally got some sunshine today and the horses were so happy to be able to eat their breakfast on the patio.

They've been cooped up in their stalls most of the week.

One thing about eating off snow is that you don't have to worry about sand colic. Plus the horses get a little extra water with their hay.

Don't you love how the horses' tails drag in the snow? Good morning, Sunshine!

Even our junk pile looks pristine in the snow...

Our air conditioner is getting its own air conditioning...

The jagged teeth on our roof...

Our well house, which holds our water pump. Hopefully, we won't have to worry about our well running dry this year...

One mistletoe you don't want to stand under...

One tree always has to break under the weight of the snow...

Road conditions...

My son has been driving my 4WD truck with snow tires to and from school. I realized this morning as I saw him drive off just before dawn with his headlights off that I forgot to inform him that the truck doesn't have automatic lights like his little car. You have to manually turn them on.

Lisa of Laughing Orca Ranch asked about the barn names for my horses. I have a whole slew of barn names, nicknames or pet names for my horses. Here they are...

Lostine: Stiney, Lostine the Beauty Queen, Miss Piggy.

Bombay: Bomber, Mr. Beasley, Bamboozled, Bombeasley, Dude, Puppy Boy.

Gabbrielle: Bunny, Fuzz Bucket, Little Girl.

Believe it or not, even with all those names, the horses know which one of them I'm talking to.

11 comments:

Maery Rose said...

Unfortunately, the storms are coming to us as freezing rain instead of snow. Putting a big damper on my ski plans.

fernvalley01 said...

Thats a good dump of snow ,hopefully it translates to good moisture in the spring!

Sydney said...

Hahah I have nicknames for all the horses too. Indigo is Piggy or piglet or girly.
Suzy is Suz or fatty. Sheba is sheeb. Stormy is storm or sweetums. Sebastian....lol well hes got quite the few inappropriate names but mostly I just call him bastian or sebas. Keebler is keeb, mr.man or mr.pony.
Mostly the horses I work with I call sweetums for the mares and old man for the geldings/stallions.

Julie said...

Enjoyed my visit to your blog!

Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

Breathe said...

What cute barn names!

Beautiful pictures, glad everyone could get out and about.

I hear you about the auto lights - I drove a car on vacation without them and had no clue I had them off until I turned down a dark road.

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Great pictures. Your storm gave us rain today, but snow in the higher elevations (above 6,000'). Actually, I think horses recognize our voice inflection and focused attention rather than any name. I can call my gelding any name (and I often do) and he responds the same way every time.

Dan

Mikey said...

The weather is crazy isn't it? We're swimming down here, and snow in the high country. Said it's the worst storm system since the 70's. I will say, it's wet. I think your snow is much prettier :)

JeniQ said...

Wow! Look at that beautiful snow and view! I'd love a few days of that instead of the rain/mud/slop we've had for a week with another week of it forecasted =(

Leah Fry said...

I so hope this is not headed my way. I just brought Jaz home today.

KD said...

The snow looks beautiful to this Florida girl but I wouldn't have a clue how to handle it.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gorgeous snowy photos! My fave is the icicles-in-a-row photo.

The nicknames you have for your horses are endearing. Baby Doll was Dolly, Hey Girl, Muddy Puppy, Granny Stockins, Pretty Lady.


~Lisa