Friday, January 1, 2010

My Boy is a Natural

Just another quick story...

My husband and I emptied out all the ice troughs inside the stalls to clean them and fill them up with water. There were very large chunks of ice from the troughs on the ground outside the stalls, which freaked the horses out. They couldn't figure out what those weird things were -- all they knew what that these ice chunks were not in their paddock previously and therefore must be predators.

One was right next to Bombay's stall door opening. I released him from the back pen, and he galloped up the RV lane toward the barn until he spotted that ice chunk beside his stall door. Then he came to such an abrupt halt that he left huge hoof holes in the ground.

Bombay stood at the gate snorting and and then spun in circles. He wanted his dinner, which was in his stall, but he didn't want to have to run past that chunk of ice to get there. My son and I began waving our arms and clucking our tongues to encourage him through the gate. Bombay would take one step forward and two steps back, doing his little terrified dance.

Suddenly my son said, "Wait! Shhhhhh!"

I put my arms down and stayed quiet while he walked around to Bombay's left side, gave his blanket a little tug, and Bombay instantly trotted through the gate, past the ice chunk and into his stall.

A quiet confidence won out over pressure. It was an amazing thing to witness. I told my husband the story and said, "Our son is a natural with horses."

Right then our son walked into the room and said, "Yes I am, but that's one skill you'll never see me use again."

He's never been wild about horses. Somehow he ended up being friends with a group of girls who all own horses, yet he doesn't even like to talk about horses with them. He swears he will never marry a woman who likes horses, because he knows he'll get stuck mucking out the stalls. When he was younger he occasionally rode a horse just to humor me, but he never really had the desire to do so. What a shame. I say, if you have a talent, use it.

9 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

It must be a guy thing... or at least a characteristic of a certain type of guy. My husband is so calm and quiet, I swear he would be awesome with horses, yet it's like pulling teeth to get him out to the barn. I think he regrets supporting my entry into the horse world (we'd talked about rescuing Panama and he followed through as a surprise to me).

By the way, I'm doing another book giveaway on my blog, but it's a bit different this time. The deadline is January 15th. Do you mind mentioning it on your blog? I think it'll be fun. :o)

http://www.ponytalesblog.com/2010/01/new-years-day-cleaning-and-horse-book.html

fernvalley01 said...

Smart guy! Hope he changes his mind ,sounds like he has some good skills

Shirley said...

He may outgrow that reluctance; don't pressure him- use quiet confidence in his talent instead! :0)

RiverBend Farm said...

Oh, but the things we do for love! He should never say never.

Breathe said...

Fortunately there are many things that benefit from quiet confidence - dog training, people leading, medicine, and emergency work.

May he find his passion and put it to work!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! He's one smart cookie and probably right. And most likely if he married a horse obsessed gal, he'd end up second fiddle and still have to spend all the moolah to support his wife's expensive hobby. lol!

That's cool that he seems to have such a special gift with horses, though. My son, Jax loves to ride horses, but he requires a groom. He doesn't like to brush them, clean them, tack them up, or muck the stall. He just wants the horse ready to ride and then to hand the horse over when he's done. lol!

Oh! And it looks like you've got some more desensitizing to do if your horses are terrified of ice cubes. lol!
I suppose I should be thankful that Baby Doll tries to eat the ice chunks I toss out of her water bucket. LOL!


~Lisa

Leah Fry said...

"Play to your strengths" is what I always told my son. At first, he wouldn't listen, but he finally figured it our on his own that I'm not as dumb as he thought :-D

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

I guess I'm one of those weird guys as I love horses. I can't imagine my life without our horses. There's so much I still have to learn that I'm looking forward to learning about our horses for the rest of my life.

Dan

Andrea said...

That is so awesome that he got in there and helped like that! It's funny how kids grow up with horses and just don't seem to get the "love" for them that their parents do. I LOVE them and my oldest son is good at them, really he is, but he just could care less. Sigh....

And my mare has the same blanket as Bombay, and she tore it up last night!! Grrrrr, now I get to go have it repaired.....sigh...