Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Somebody's Not Getting Enough Attention

On Sunday, the weather warmed up into the low 40's, so I was able to remove the horses' blankets and reunite them in the paddock. Of course, the first thing Gabbrielle did is start itching herself, and they all had a good roll in the mud. They aren't afraid of the ice blocks from the water troughs anymore. Now they just try to eat them. Lostine and Gabbrielle always must have a lengthy mutual grooming session whenever they share the same pen...

Note that Gabbrielle and Bombay are standing on a very slippery sheet of ice, and Bombay has one of his up-to-no-good expressions...

He's jealous that he's not involved in the mutual grooming session, so he voices his disgruntlement by biting Gabbrielle on the left butt cheek...

When that doesn't get her attention, he tries the right butt cheek...

That did the trick. Right after I shot this picture, Gabbrielle tried to buck at him, but slipped on the sheet of ice and slid into me. I screamed and jumped out the way while she fell right where I had been standing. That's why you don't ride horses on ice, folks. If a horse falls, chances are it will crush your leg.

The mares moved off the ice and resumed their mutual grooming session...

Again, Bomby got jealous and decided he wanted to groom me...

What started out as a gentle nibble on my jacket sleeve turned into a mad dog yanking my arm around, trying to pull me down to the ground...

Hmmmmm. Maybe Bombay would make a good police officer. He certainly knows how to disable a suspect...

Grrrrrrrrr...

13 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Wow, that is awful icy when it's dangerous just to stand around.

Bombay looks so white in those photos!

Sydney said...

Mr.Pony always has had a thing for poofy winter jackets. He used to lick and then bite, understandably as thats how horses groom eachother. After a wile of me hollering every time he bit he got the idea and now when he wants to groom me/be groomed he just lips and slobbers my coat to death. Hes such a little ham.

Dream Valley Ranch said...

Oh my goodness! What a hilarious herd you have! And beautiful, too! I love the girls snuggling together and giving each other nibbles...always so cute to see horses like that! And what a trouble maker your handsome boy is...his arm chomping antics made me laugh out loud!

I'm glad I stumbled over here!

Whinnies and woofs from all of us in Colorado,
Sue and The Crew

fernvalley01 said...

Funny fella that Bombay! glad you weren't hurt

Katharine Swan said...

Ha, Bombay is such a character! Panama knows he's not allowed to chew on my arms and legs, but I've permitted him this one game he plays because it's just so cute: He likes to try to take my hat off when I'm fastening the chest closures on his blanket. Unfortunately, this has evolved to giving my hood a good yank any time he feels like it -- he's figured out that it snaps on to my jacket and he can pull it off. I suppose it must look pretty tempting to him to see a hood flopping around on my shoulders...

I love the social grooming pictures. Panama only tries to do that with mares he likes, and then I suspect that it's more flirting than grooming, because he doesn't get very far before he is interrupted by a mare-squeal!

Stephanie said...

What a great set of pictures! Your herd sure does have tons of personality :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Whooo! Those teethers look rather scary on your jacket. Good thing your sleeves fit loosely. gah!

Baby Doll has never tried to groom me and she doesn't ever put her mouth on me. She's very respectful of my space, of which I'm grateful for. But one thing she does do that I like, though, is rest her head in my hands, if she is relaxed, and I hold and rub both of her cheeks.

Glad you weren't hurt when Gabbrielle fell. That's scary. I don't think I could have moved out of the way fast enough with my gimpy knee.


~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Bombay knows the difference between mouthing my clothing vs. mouthing my body. He doesn't bite me. I easily chased him off with a flick of my fingers when I had enough. I just thought his antics were funny, so I let him do it in order to get some photos to entertain you all.

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Great pictures. I love to see horses nuzzle each other. Morgunn and Sugar don't do that -- maybe some day.

Morgunn likes to nuzzle on my jacket and grabs my zipper pull which is made of rawhide.

Dan

Janice said...

ooohhhh that ice looks scary sure glad you got out of the way in time.

Leah Fry said...

Poco and Jaz know how far they can go with their mouths. Scorch, on the other hand, is still a baby and needs to be reminded. Often.

Close call with Gabbrielle. Dang!

Breathe said...

Officer Bombay, I wasn't speeding! Seriously! It was that other guy!

:) Just practicing.

Andrea said...

LOL, girl I love that horse! Bombay is hilarious! He has such a great personality! I love the shot of him showing his teeth on your jacket! LOL!! Love that big gray boy!