Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Story Behind the Names

KD of Zambito Oaks Farm in Florida asked how Lostine got her name. I'm glad you asked, KD, because it gives me something to post about other than the weather here in Nevada.

Lostine is my mare's registered name with the Arabian Horse Association. She was foaled on 5/20/1988. By the time I acquired her, she had so many owners who primarily used her for breeding and showing at halter that I didn't have her full story. However, considering that she was bred by an Arabian horse farm in Portland, Oregon, and there is a city in Oregon called Lostine, I suspect they got the name from the city.

For those of you who are familiar with the Arabian breed, Lostine's dam was May Oui by Negatraz and Widar. Her sire was Enrilo by Probat and Emisja. As you can tell by the names, she comes from a purely Polish bloodline.

Here's a story about Lostine I've never told here. The rumor is that she was once owned by a woman who robbed banks around Reno to support her drug habit. When the woman finally got caught, her horses were auctioned off. That's how my friend was able to add Lostine to her breeding program, and she got some really fine fillies out of her over the years. Now those fillies are having even finer fillies, so Lostine is a grandma. You'd never know, though, with all that fire in her.

Bombay's registered name is Bombay SS. The SS are the initials of the farm where he was bred. He was born on 4/7/1998, his sire was Khutty Sark by Khemosabi and Endless Summer, and his dam was S R Aziza by S R Travis and Kaylaka. He is what we call a domestic Arabian horse since most of his bloodline came from within the United States.

His breeder told me that since his bay sire's name was Khutty Sark, which is a scotch whiskey, they decided to name Bombay after a gin since he was going to be gray in color. Bombay was born a bay like his sire, but turned into a flea-bitten gray like his dam.

Gabbrielle's registered name is GAA Gabbrielle, where the GAA stands for the name of the breeding farm. She was foaled on 3/4/2005. Her sire was Sterling Bey by Bey Shah and Parada Fancy. Her damn was Subtle Diversion by Kaiyoum and Baskina-Tu. Kaiyoum is a Khemosabi son, so Gabbrielle is in the same general family as Bombay. She also has a lot of Bask in her pedigree like Lostine.

Her breeder told me she chose the name Gabbrielle because it means beautiful. Since then, I've done my own research on the name and found that Gabbrielle means heroine of God. Regardless, there is no doubt that Gabbrielle is both beautiful and a heroine of God.

15 comments:

TCavanaugh said...

I love to find out about pet names...Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this. i was thrilled to learn about their breeding. i always had wondered about bombay's name (so odd!) and i never knew lostine was a city in OR.

now i'd love to see some pics of lostine from her earlier days - her "checkered past" hheheheheheh!

~lytha

Katharine Swan said...

Thanks for sharing! What great stories! What age did you acquire each? I seem to remember you got Gabbrielle as a yearling, but I can't remember with the other two.

Because Panama was backyard bred, and because his breeders had him and his mom in a pasture all winter and didn't give a hoot about them, he didn't have a name until I gave him one. Everyone always asks me why Panama, so I tell them the story of how I ended up sitting with his head in my lap, waiting for the vet to come back, and it just came to me. I immediately knew it was the right name for him. :o)

Susan said...

The hula hoop story is awesome. Any one who thinks animals don't know what's going on just hasn't been around them.

Sydney said...

I always thought of a ship or alcohol when I thought of Bombay's name. Funny.

Indigo is one of those up there but still firey, though only part arab it sure shows when she gets all wound up and starts trotting with that neck of hers arched and her tail strait in the air.

Maery Rose said...

I wish I knew that much about my horses' history. Both came from auction to resellers, no papers, so I don't know anything about them. I'm just a sucker for a horse that needs a home. Unfortunately, now one of mine needs another soft-hearted soul to take him in.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Katharine - I got Bombay and Gabbrielle as yearlings, and Lostine at the age of 13. Many show breeders let go of their broodmares around the age of 13 or 14.

Katharine Swan said...

I thought you'd gotten Bombay young, but I didn't realize it was that young! Very cool!

And wow -- you've had Lostine a long time!

Kate said...

Lovely names - thanks for sharing the history!

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Really neat post. It's interesting to get that kind of background.

Dan

Paint Girl said...

Great horse name history!! It is so cool to know their breeding. I only know that Brandy's dad was an Arab and her mom was a Paint. I so wish I knew her bloodlines.
We have 2 babies at the barn right now that have Khutty Sark breeding.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I always enjoy learning more about your horses, NM. I didn't realize that Lostine was in her 20's. She definetely doesn't show it. Bombay and Gabbrielle are just kids. hehe!

So do you have any nicknames or barn names you use for your herd?


~Lisa

Leah Fry said...

I am envious that you have all this info about your horses. Although I know Jaz's history, I know nothing about Poco except that he's a handful.

I really do like the name Bombay.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Thanks for sharing all the info. It's all very interesting.

And now, I have a Khemosabi granddaughter too, with Yalla. Did you know there is a Khemosabi society?

KD said...

COOL! Thanks for the info. You sure couldn't tell by looking at that gorgeous girl that she was over 20! My Appy mare was born in 87.