Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Stills: Sports








I spent half the morning digging around in all my digital photo albums searching for pictures of my daughter pitching a softball. Years ago a sports photographer from the local paper took a picture of her pitching during a game, and it was the most amazing photograph I'd ever seen. First off, she was wearing an orange and black uniform, she had her mitt up in the air and the way it was poised made it look like a tiger paw about to swoop down on you. She had the fiercest expression on her face and her body was seemingly stretched beyond its limits while powering up in this pitch.

Several people saw that picture in the paper and commented that they hoped they would never have to be on the other end of one of her pitches. My daughter knew how to bring out terror in the eyes of batters. She played softball since she was in the first grade all the way through to her senior year of high school. When she was in middle school, she occasionally threw some wild pitches, especially while warming up. There was this one umpire who was always in the wrong place at the wrong time and she pegged him several times during warm ups and games. It got to the point where this umpire would say out loud, "Oh no! Look who's on the mound. I'm getting out of here."

Track season is starting soon, so I should be getting a slew of new pictures of my son pole vaulting. There really is an art to action photography, and with each sports season I learn a little more.

13 comments:

Leah Fry said...

I like the one of the bull rider best. I like that mid-air action, maybe because I know what that feels like :-)

Shirley said...

Some excellent photos! Love the dismount, and the pole vault and pitch shots are really good. Well done!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Woweee! These are all great shots. But my faves are the one of Colt vaulting over the pole! AWESOME!!!
And I just love the intensity of your daughter in that pitching photo, too. Great action captures, NM!!!


~Lisa

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Great photos. I especially love the look of determination on your son's face.

Laura said...

Awesome photos - I like the ones of your kids the best... So cool that your son pole vaults! I don't have the nerves for that!

I played softball for many, many years when I was young. I was a catcher and loved catching pitches from someone like your daughter. Always fun watching the stunned batter trying to realize what just blew past them! :-)

aurora said...

Great pics, what kind of camera do you have? I admire action photographers, it is SO hard to capture the action!!

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

Rodeo is my favorite sport, but your kids look pretty awesome. I think girls fast-pitch softball is a great game.

Dan

Tammy said...

Great shots. That bull rider made my stomach do flip flops!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

aurora - It's a Canon Powershot SX10 IS. Here's a review I wrote on it:

http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com/2009/01/canon-powershot-sx10-is.html

Callie said...

Great photos!

Ed said...

Very cool, first and probably the only Pole Vaulter in the bunch, Well Done..:-)

Janice said...

Great action shots.

Brenda said...

love the roping shots! I would stay away from those bulls! lol
love the baseball action shot, too!