Thursday, February 11, 2010

Deer in our Hallway

The other day my son said, "Do you know what is on the wall of my hallway?"

I said, "A charcoal and watercolor deer head?"

He said, "Yeah. When did that show up? I've never noticed it before."

It's always been hanging there. We've had it since before he was born. By calling my attention to it, he brought back memories that I thought would make a fun story for the blog.

When my husband and I were just young newlyweds we stopped at a restaurant in Coleville, California on our way to visit my parents at their cabin in the mountains. Artwork by a local artist was hung around the walls of this restaurant and I fell in love with this deer head and its beautiful craggy wood frame. I mentioned the painting to my parents when we visited them.

Many months later I was sitting in our town home, and the manager of our complex contacted me by phone. She said, "Happy birthday!"

I was shocked. I could not figure out how she knew it was my birthday. Maybe I had written it on our rental application, but I didn't know any apartment manager who would take the time to track her tenant's birthdays, none-the-less wish them a happy birthday. "I've got something for you down here at the office," she said.

When I reached the office, I was shocked to see her pull this very large wrapped item out from behind her desk. It wasn't wrapped like a package the post office delivered. She said, "The artist herself delivered it."

Now I was really confused. Artist? I read the card and it explained that my parents had purchased this painting for me for my birthday through the mail, so the artist drove up to Carson City, Nevada from Coleville, California to deliver the painting to my address in person. I unwrapped the painting and was ecstatic to see it was the deer head I admired in the restaurant that one morning many months before.

I called my parents to thank them, and my mother explained that they had driven up to the restaurant to buy the painting for me, however when they got there just one day after I had been there, the paintings had all disappeared. They inquired with the waitress, and she said that the artist had come by to pick them all up, but she could give them the address of the artist if they wanted to make a purchase.

So, my parents wrote to her, described the painting as I described it, and made arrangements. I was so touched by the amount of work that each person went through just to give me something nice on my birthday. To this day, it is my favorite painting. Unfortunately, there is no legible signature on the painting, so I couldn't tell you the name of the artist after all these years.

14 comments:

lytha said...

This is a great story, and here I thought you hated deer.

Funny that your son hadn't noticed it all those years.

~lytha

Mikey said...

That's such a great story! Beautiful picture too. I can't believe your son didn't notice it before, lol.

Reddunappy said...

Thats is a cool story!
Kids, observant arent they LOL

fernvalley01 said...

Wonderful stroy,so nice of all involved . A true treasure and a gorgeous picture at that!

The D-Meister said...

Hahahaha! I've had that same issue - every couple of months, I'd suddenly realize that there was a deer staring at me while I was at the dinner table, and then I'd forget again. I've always wondered about it though...

Katharine Swan said...

It's a beautiful painting, and what a nice gesture for the artist to deliver it herself! I'll bet you were tickled that your son hadn't noticed it before. :o)

Sydney said...

Thats a cool story. Theres so many old images and paintings around this house its hard to keep track of them all.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Funny how we get so used to our environment that we just don't notice things that have been there all along.
Such a pretty piece of artwork. Could the artist have signed the back of her artwork instead?

Great story.

~Lisa

JeniQ said...

Great story NuzzMuzz!

Leah Fry said...

That same gene or whatever that kept him from noticing the artwork for all these years is the same thing that allows them to stand with the refrigerator door open, looking for something that is right in front of them, while calling to you, asking where it is.

achieve1dream said...

What a great story and such a nice painting! Thanks for sharing.

Shirley said...

What thoughtful parents you have. That is a really nice painting, I see why you love it. Too funny about your son not noticing it!

Breathe said...

You have wonderful parents! How sweet of them to go to such ends (now we know where you get your stick-to-it-ness).

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is a beautiful drawing. Maybe your parents would know since they looked her up.