Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Interrupting this Regularly Scheduled Program

I have so many more pictures and stories from Scottsdale, but wanted to interrupt the Scottsdale posts with a story about something that happened this morning. Lytha said she misses hearing from me, because I've been posting so many pictures without text, so I must appease her by telling one of my stories.

This morning when I walked outside to get the horses out of their stalls, they were all riled up about something. Gabbrielle was rearing, Bombay was trying to jump through his little window, and Lostine was spinning in circles. All three of them were kicking the stall walls. I thought, "I'll bet the deer came by to visit behind the barn this morning."

I started opening gates to pens and then heard a very loud commotion behind me. I turned to see the tail end of a brown horse disappear behind my barn. This was 7:00 in the morning on a weekday. I could not believe that the boarders next door were out riding at that hour. If this was going to be a habit, I was going to need to have a chat with them.

I don't want anyone going behind my barn while my horses are trapped in their stalls between nightfall and sunrise, because they can't see what or who is back there making noises, and they injure themselves trying to escape what they interpret to be predators. If a car drives past, fine, but I don't want people or animals hanging out behind my barn, or drivers idling their vehicles back there -- something my nosy neighbors do on a fairly regular basis. Even though it is a road, it is a road within my property, so I should be able to have some say about the traffic and activities that frequent that road.

I waited to see the rider or riders come out from behind the other side of my barn, and was surprised to see one lady leading a white horse with a halter and lead rope while two loose brown horses followed behind. Apparently, someone left a gate open and the horses had escaped, most likely to my front lawn, which is where all the loose horses end up.

I looked at the lady and was about to ask if she needed help. She looked at me with an expression that gave me the impression that she didn't want any help. She seemed to have things under control. Each time the brown horses took off in a different direction, she'd lead the white horse over to them, and they'd follow again. I decided to wait a while before getting my horses out of their stalls, in part because they'd be too difficult to handle and in part because I didn't want them running around and encouraging the two brown horses to take off again.

This was the one morning of the week when I have to drive the hour or so into the company office, so I didn't want to be late, but I couldn't see any way around it. I thought of waking my husband and asking him to get the horses out of their stalls later so I could leave for work, but my husband was sick and really needed his sleep. So, I found things to do for 15 minutes, then went back outside to get the horses out of their stalls.

I was shocked to see the two brown horses were still loose. They were grazing on their own property this time, but the front gate was wide open and they could easily escape to my lawn, or worse yet, the highway in front of my house. I looked around the for the lady and she was nowhere in sight. She had put the white horse away in the paddock, but intentionally left the two brown horses out without any restraints.

At that point I didn't care anymore. I had to get to work. So, I cut my horses loose and they galloped around like the nuts they are. Fortunately, they didn't influence the two loose brown horses to gallop around too. The brown horses were more interested in scavenging for food.

I'm hoping this lady won't make a habit of letting her horses escape to graze on my lawn. I do let my horses graze on my front lawn, but only on a lead rope under my supervision. I don't want divots in my lawn from horses running on it. I have one lawn for the dogs to do their business on, one lawn for the horses' pasture where they can graze and gallop and poop all they want, but my front lawn is mainly for my kids to practice their sports on. They run there and play ball there, so I don't want them spraining an ankle when stepping in a divot caused by a horse hoof. I try to keep that lawn pristine.

*******************************

In other neighborly news, the other day my dogs were barking outside and I had to get up from my desk to bring them in. I have one neighbor who complains when my dogs bark, and another neighbor who trespasses on my property and makes them bark, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I looked out the window to see what they were barking at, and it turned out that my nosy neighbor and a little girl were in front of my house walking their dog and picking up the mail. The little girl started jumping up and down screaming, "Ooooooh! Oooooooh! Yuck!"

My nosy neighbor picked up a stick from under my pine trees and used it to roll a dog turd off the street into my bushes. I stood there in the window with my hands on my hips glaring at her, hoping she'd look up, because I wanted to see the expression on her face when she realized she got caught. Her behavior didn't make sense to me, because she usually picks up her own dog's poop with a baggie. Then I realized that perhaps this was someone else's dog's poop and she didn't want to have to take full responsibility for it. My neighbor friend had a lady taking care of her house and horses while she was away on vacation, and this caretaker let her dog wander the neighborhood, so perhaps the turd belonged to it.

I wanted to remind my nosy neighbor that this IS my property, and she just very intentionally put a dog turd in my bushes, which really isn't terribly thoughtful or polite. I mean, my son has a fort in those bushes and he doesn't need to be stepping on or sitting on a dog turd while he's in there. He also has to chase runaway basketballs into those bushes from time to time.

So, when she didn't look up at me and started walking up the street, I walked outside and walked right up to the dog turd in the bushes and stood there with my hands on my hips staring at it, hoping she'd turn around and see me there and realize the error of her ways. I don't know if she saw me or not, as she seemed to be in a hurry to get back to her house, but I was quite amused with my theatrics. In retrospect, I probably should have yelled after her, "Hey, lady! Did you just take a p**p in my bushes?!?"

8 comments:

TCavanaugh said...

You are sooo funny! I wish I could re-arrange your neighborhood for you. Too many people there with too many animals. What is up with leaving horses loose and people complaining about dogs that bark during the day? Pretty crazy!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

This post should be entertaining for Lytha! heehee! You never disapoint, NM! lol!


~Lisa

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh my, there's never a dull moment in your neighborhood, is there? I certainly hope she takes better care of those horses if they are hers. Loose unattended horses means trouble waiting to happen.

Breathe said...

Someday we're going to have to put hot tape around that yard of yours!

Won't that make for a nice surprise?

Mrs Mom said...

LOL... yeah, I'd have asked her about taking a crap in my bushes... hehehe Either that or I'd have picked up the poop and tossed it at her ;)

Loose horses? Dude? For real? WTH is wrong with THAT lady?

Still praying you guys either win Lotto or come into a large chunk of money so that you can move, to the country, far far away from freaky weird arse neighbors...

KD said...

Ditto on the "never a dull moment" comment! I think I may have been tempted to get the lady's attention with an "Excuse me....Helloooooo - I think you left something in my yard".

Mikey said...

Your neighbors ARE the weirdest bunch. I think we should take my one crazy one and you and him switch places. We'd all be a lot happier!

achieve1dream said...

I totally understand how you feel. My neighbors are pains in the rear too.