Saturday, February 13, 2010

The NuzMuz Has Landed

I'm in Scottsdale. I had planned to write posts each evening, but forgot my USB cable to upload pictures from my camera! So, I guess I'll just tell you the story of my trip over here and work on other posts that require pictures, but not publish them until I get back home and can upload photos to go along with them.

So, Reno-Tahoe Airport is fairly small. When I fly somewhere, I can usually go straight up to a kiosk or the counter without having to wait in line. There's usually no need to show up two hours before departure time. So, I left my house at 4:00 AM to take an hour drive to the airport for a 6:10 AM flight. As I was driving through Washoe Valley in the dark I was having a hard time adjusting my night vision and my equilibrium to the sight of all those broken white lines coming at me through the pitch black, so I was driving only 50 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, which was fine until a Nevada Highway Patrol officer caught up to me.

I panicked because I figured the guy would think I was drunk and pull me over, but I really could not go any faster. Fortunately, he passed me and gave me some tail lights to follow for a while. Perhaps he was used to people freaking out while driving that road at night.

When I got to the airport, the only two parking spots were next to what my daughter and I call "a creeper van." You see, when I was in college, I walked past a white cargo van that was parked in a dark parking lot, and a man in a ski mask with a knife jumped out at me from the sliding side door of the van. I ran faster than I knew I could run to the nearest lighted area and got away, but ever since then I have been terrified of white cargo vans.

So, I drove around and around thinking surely there must be some other parking space, but there wasn't. I looked at my watch and it was only 40 minutes until my flight. I sucked it up and parked next to the van, then ran with a 40-pound suitcase and a backpack all the way to the terminal, where I ended up in the longest line I have ever seen at this airport.

Everyone in line was panicking, saying we were all going to miss the flight. However, the ladies working the counter at US Airways were fantastic. They each helped 2 to 3 customers at a time at a break-neck pace. I was truly impressed. Once I got my bag checked in and my boarding pass, I ran to the security checkpoint where a really nice security guard helped me with my stuff and got me a second tray to put my laptop in. From there I ran to the plane and got there just as people were boarding.

It turned out I was seated in the very last row of the plane in the tail by the bathrooms, so I had to tolerate a bit of a stench on the flight over, but the smell came and went, so it wasn't too bad. I'm not real good about flying, because my deepest fear is being in a plane crash. You know that if driving through the dark on an unlit highway messes with my equilibrium, being on a plane that is taking off really messes with me. I was worried about how I would handle sitting on a shuttle and driving crowded freeways in a rental car, but I managed. Being in a big city isn't my lifestyle, and I'm sure I ticked off a lot of other drivers, but I was good about staying in the right hand lane as I putted along.

My first stop was the university to pick up my daughter. We had planned to go to the horse show, but never made it. I'll explain that in my next installment, but that one requires pictures, so you'll have to wait until Wednesday to find out what happened.

In the meantime, have a happy Valentine's Day!

8 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I'm glad you made it to Phoenix okay. That van story just creeps me out. How scary that must have been!

Your telling of just barely making the flight reminds me of my last airport experience. I had to take my daughter to the airport on New Year's Eve but she slept through her alarm so we had just over an hour and a half before her flight left when she finally got up. I have never seen any girl get ready so quickly before in my life! The airport is about 30-40 minutes away on a good day so you can just imagine the rush we had. But we stayed calm and I drove as fast as I could reasonably go in the 6 inches of fresh overnight snow. I got her to the airport in record time and she had a half hour before her flight when we saw the line outside for curbside baggage. It was at least 10 people deep. We said our goodbyes and she ran inside with her suitcase hoping the line was better inside. It wasn't. Somehow she managed to get through it, however, and she got the last seat on the plane.
Cripes!! What a way to go!

I certainly hope you and your daughter had a good reason for missing the horse show, which was why you went. ;)

fernvalley01 said...

Glad you landed safely , have a wonderful time ,hope you have lots of pics to show with your adventures

Leah Fry said...

Have a great time and I can't wait to see photos.

achieve1dream said...

Cruel cliff hanger!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm perusing blogs and looking at lots of pictures of snow. You guys would be so jealous. It's a clear and beautiful 75 degrees here in Arizona. We don't even get 75-degree days in Nevada. It goes from 50 to 90 overnight, rarely with anything in between. However, I wouldn't want to be in Arizona in the summer months. You know it's going to be a hot one if it's already 75 in February.

Laura said...

Glad you made your flight in time!

Have a fun few days with your daughter! I'm jealous that you are in sunny, warm Arizona. It is cold and snowy here today...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ok...now you've got me wondering what happened. With your luck, NM, I hope nothing bad happened! eek!

Creeper vans freak me out, too. Ever since watching movies like Silence of the Lambs, I avoid any vans with no windows.

As you know my family flies for free....but with all the security issues and crowds and rush rush, I just can't stand it anymore. And somehow I've built up a fear of plane crashes, too. Flying into Reno to see you took a lot of courage. And when the turbulence kicked in right as we were decending into the valley, I started white knuckling the seat in front of me...and praying. lol!

I look forward to your next installment, my friend. Enjoy those warm temps.


~Lisa


word verification: holybe

What I said when I landed safely in Reno! LOL!

Shirley said...

The creeper van story is awful! Everyone's worst nightmare actually happened to you, thank God you got away.
I really dislike flying too, and usually spend the whole flight praying.