Monday, March 15, 2010

Conditioning the Tack

As promised, I tried out Leather CPR for Equestrian Tack on my saddles and bridles this weekend. Before I start, though, I wanted to mention something new I learned from putting Leather CPR for Equestrian Tack on my leather boots. Several people commented on the number of boots I own. I explained that I have weird feet and have to change my boots several times a day because they all rub me in different places and cause blisters. I have a difficult time finding boots that fit the shape of my feet. However, after applying Leather CPR for Equestrian Tack on all those boots, I realized that I had been wearing the same pair of boots for three days straight without getting any blisters. I believe that the conditioner softened the leather enough to stretch it out where I needed more room.

With that said, I couldn't wait to try it out on my saddles, bridles, martingales and reins. My newer Tucker trail saddle is still quite stiff and squeaks a lot. The before and after pictures aren't that impressive, because I do take care of my saddles by cleaning and conditioning them often. So, unlike my boots, my saddles weren't in that bad a shape to begin with. Here is the before picture of my Circle Y Arabian saddle...

And here are the pictures from after I applied the conditioner...



Here is the before picture of my Tucker trail saddle...

And after the conditioner was applied...


Now if I could get a chance to ride, I'll let you know if my reins feel softer and my saddle squeaks less.

11 comments:

lytha said...

i want your circle y! i simply love that saddle - the design is so elegant and, i just realized that it's about as close to an english saddle as can be, and yet remain a western. (can you tell i don't like tooling?*grin*)

i love the color of it, and i love the fact that it's made for arabians. i think i mentioned before that a circle y fit my horse perfectly and although i've never owned a western saddle, that would be my dream western saddle --yours: )

i've always wanted to do a trail class. maybe i can eventually do it, cuz western riding is becoming very popular in germany. i'm english thru and thru, but my options are different in this land.

*dreaming*

~lytha

fernvalley01 said...

Interesting about the boots! hope it helps the saddles too .

Breathe said...

Beautiful saddles - I have to agree with Lytha. I've wanted a circle y like that but can never find them when I have the $.

You do a nice job conditioning your tack. I tried a Tucker and it squeaked so much I couldn't hear myself think! Do they quiet down?

Looks like Leather CPR works really well! And what good news on your boots too!

Leah Fry said...

I like the Circle Y also. How long have you had it? I ask only because I see the stirrup leathers haven't surrendered and turned in the right direction yet. I just got my new ones to relent :-)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I can't say enough good things about the Circle Y saddle. I've had it for maybe five years? Even though the stirrups haven't turned, they're easy enough to find and turn once you get your feet in them. The model of the saddle is the Mojave, and it has an Arabian tree. I see if for sale all over the place, so it must be successful.

Paint Girl said...

Yep, I must get some of that CPR cleaner!! What a difference! I am so overdue for tack cleaning, I thought of doing it today, but since it was so warm and sunny, I went riding instead! I am sure more rainy days are heading my way, so I'll get plenty of opportunities to clean tack.
I love your saddles, they look brand new after the cleaning!

photogchic said...

I need to do that. Ugh...looks like so much work...I gather everything up and then end up putting it back in the locker. Saddles look great...love both of them. I wanted a Tucker so bad...they don't fit my giraffe of a horse:-).

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looking good. That stuff seems to work great.
I wish I could see the gullet down the middle of that Circle Y saddle better. I've been spending hours online researching saddle because I'm wanting to buy a new one for Apache. She has such a difficult to fit back with her flat, short back and her wide tall withers that shoot straight down from her neck. A FQHB fits her the best on her back, but sits too low on her withers. The gaited saddle would fit her withers, but not her back. The arabian saddle seems like it would fit better. And I've read that they often fit the Morgan style of back better, too. What do you think?

I hope you get to ride soon...me, too!

~Lisa

Jen said...

I love that stuff (although it's kind of expensive). Aussie's beeswax is also good for softening boots and tack (although you need to buff it a bit, it's lots cheaper). I use a little bit on a rag when I wipe off my boots; keeps them nice and supple :o)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - An Arabian saddle might do the trick. Arabians have extra wide, short backs. I had to move away from Arabian saddles for Lostine, because her withers were too flat and low to keep them off her neck. I'll try to remember to take a picture down the gullet of the Circle Y next weekend and post it for you.

Tammy said...

You have some beautiful saddles. I love the Circle Y. They have a similar one that has QH bars that I have coveted for years. Maybe someday. The tooling on the Tucker is very pretty, too.