Saturday, March 13, 2010

GOING, GONE by Laura Crum

Author Laura Crum has owned and trained horses for over thirty years. She has written eleven books using her main character Gail McCarthy, an equine veterinarian. Going, Gone is the first of Crum's books that I have read. Whenever reading a later book in a series, I always wonder if the author will pull off letting the book stand on its own, and in this case, the author succeeded.

While on vacation with her husband, son, and horses in the Sierra foothills, Gail McCarthy is taken off guard by the fact that their host, and old sweetheart, is being arrested by an old childhood friend for suspicion of murder. Bret, her deputy friend, drives her around town introducing her to the townspeople, neighbors, cattle ranchers and auctioneers, all of whom become suspects to her. The only thing Gail is sure about is that Lonny didn't do it. The Lonny she knew could never murder someone.

Bret spills the beans regarding the details of the murder case to this old friend from out of town, and chooses to spend much of his time on and off duty with her while he questions people on what they know of the murders. This storyline is a bit reminiscent of the television series Murder She Wrote. Character Gail McCarthy is much quieter, though just as observant as Jessica Fletcher. (I don't read many mystery novels, so a TV show is all I've got to go by.)

Horses do fill up many pages of the book, as the majority of the story takes place on a horse camping trip, and Gail has to decide whether to retire her old horse to pasture and adopt a younger rescue horse to be her new riding partner. Blogging plays a part in the book as well. One of the characters is a horse blogger! This story gives new meaning to being careful what you say in your comments.

The ending brings plenty of excitement for those who need an adrenaline kick. The book contains some fairly extreme examples of the ability and inability to love, common and uncommon deaths. Gail's young son Mac serves as a foil to explore such topics, as she and her husband Blue work together to protect their son from some unpleasant realities, yet also to confront them when they can't be avoided.

Laura Crum's website and all her books can be found at http://www.lauracrum.com/. She is also a blogger at Equestrian Ink.

8 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

I always like book reviews !I used to read a lot , seems I don't have/take the time any more. 2 of my favorite authors passed away this year, so I have to find some new stuff to read.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Great interview!
It's a page turner for sure. I can really relate to the book in so many ways! I love her way of writing, very descriptive, but never boring.

JeniQ said...

Are these fiction books?

Anonymous said...

I have all her other books and I can hardly wait to get my hands on this one. I'm rereading Chasing Cans so I'm freshly up to date.

Ms Martyr said...

Uh oh, another author to add to my list. I was just looking at the piles of books that don't fit on my bookshelves and thinking that it's time to get rid of some. This book sounds like one I would enjoy.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

JeniQ - Yes, it's fiction. In the author's notes, she mentions that some of it was pulled from her life, but the rest is fictitious.

achieve1dream said...

That book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the information.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Terrific review. I like the characters names...for obvious reasons. hehe! Blue? Is that his real name or a nickname? Another book to place in my stack of books waiting for me to read. Maybe I should take some time to read this week now that I'm laid up....
I've not started Horse Boy yet and I've been wanting to read that all winter.


~Lisa