Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reminder to Self:

Train pushy mares to stop crowding gate.

Since I occasionally let the horses out to graze once the grass starts sprouting, I am now having a problem getting myself and my wheelbarrow through the gate to clean stalls. Lostine and Gabbrielle gang up against me. One of them monopolizes my attention while the other tries to sneak out behind me. They are like a pick-pocket tag team.

Today I waved the pitchfork at them while ordering them back. Lostine responded, but Gabbrielle stood her ground. So, I poked her in the chest with the pitchfork (don't worry, it's plastic) while ordering her back, and she just stood there smiling at me like she thought it was so nice of me to be scratching her itchy, shedding fur. I slapped her chest with my hand while ordering her back, and she loved it. Nothing like having a horse who appreciates any kind of attention at all.

She didn't budge until I started spinning the fork like a baton, and that finally freaked her out a bit. Looks like I'll have to bring a plastic bag or the long whip with me when I clean stalls. I know they respond to those.

11 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Don't you just love that " ya right mom , you aren't going to hurt me " attitude

Breathe said...

LOL! There's trust and then there's TRUST.

I think you have the capital t kind. :)

TCavanaugh said...

LOL! I thought I was the only one with those issues.

Leah Fry said...

For awhile, Mr. Fry and I both had to carry longe whips in our trucks to ward the Boyz off the gate so we could drive in. Now, they ignore us and we ignore them at the gate. Even if they are standing close to it, they no longer try to make a break for it.

Doesn't that just tick you off??

JeniQ said...

HaHaHa! I can picture it now... not scared of a plastic pitch fork.. but oh please don't bring out that plastic bag it's EVIL !!!

Enjoy the nicer weather this weekend
~Jeni

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Plastic bag...pitch fork....? lol! Funny which they would choose to chase them around. lol!

Silly horses. :-D

Sorry I've been MIA. Trying to get over this nasty flu bug I've had all week.

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

Hope you have good weather this weekend and can get stuff done. Looks like we are going to have rain AGAIN!!! ACK! Sunni would spook at a plastic fork, but Cali would probably try to eat it!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I love it! They are so smart, you'll have to outwit those two every time I think.

Rising Rainbow said...

Mine would just grab the plastic bag and wave it at me. LOL

You gotta love those smart horses. They know where the good stuff is......and how to get it.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I can just picture it. LOL!

Janice said...

Lucky you clean horses, it will be awhile before bath time gets here.