Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rock Climbing

I used to pile rocks in this corner of my property, because the TV and computer cable used to run through the paddock underground and the horses (namely Bombay) would dig it up and bite into it, causing us to have to call the cable company for a new line. The last time they came out, I had them bury the cable around the outside of the chain-link fence where the horses couldn't get to it. However, the rocks are still there. Even though Bombay gets his hooves trimmed every 10 weeks, the farrier says he doesn't need it that often. I suspect it's because he wears them down with so much rock climbing.

7 comments:

Sydney said...

Our paddock has it's own rock breeding farm. I pile them in high traffic areas to prevent wear and wear down the horses feet. Does a good job, rarely need trimming, only balancing.

allhorsestuff said...

Good job Bombay!

fernvalley01 said...

We are always picking rocks here .Hubby says ya gotta get them while they are small before they start to breed! lol

Grey Horse Matters said...

What a smart horse, he knows how to trim his own hooves!

Lulu said...

Wow, every 10 weeks? And he still doesn't need it that often? I am SO jealous! Violet only makes it about 6 weeks between trims in the summer! If I let her go to 8 weeks, her feet start to chip and fall apart!

Breathe said...

Why does he like to chew the cable? Is he lobbying for fiber optic?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I bet you're right. Our paddocks are covered in rocks, small, large and boulder sized. Our farrier said the same thing about Baby Doll. He told me to wat at least 10weeks before callng him, and even then he barely had anything to trim. He'd just do some balancing and some smoothing out and call it done.

~Lisa