Friday, April 9, 2010

Baby Gets Her Day...

...or at least her evening. Gabbrielle is always begging me to work with her each time I ride one of the other horses, but either the ground is too slippery or the wind is blowing too hard or I don't have a long enough period of time to work with her. She has made it clear to me that she enjoys her schooling.

So, I made some time to review verbal commands with her in the round pen this evening after work. She remembered walk, trot, turn and whoa. We're still working on easy. When I say easy, I mean slow down, but don't stop. At first all the horses interpret easy as meaning stop. Gabbrielle loves to come to sliding stops, then turn and face me. So, I started clucking my tongue immediately after saying easy to keep her moving, but just at a slower, more controlled pace. She caught on pretty quickly.

She had ants in her pants to go faster and kept breaking into a gallop, which resulted in her slipping and struggling to keep her balance. I don't want to be on her back if she's going to be pulling that stunt, so I had to correct her as soon as she broke into a faster gait without a cue.

I decided my goal this week will be to teach her to move at consistent, controlled paces. None of this leg-flailing and running into fences because she's not looking where she's going. If she can't carry herself, then she can't carry a rider safely.

Of course, my neighbor had to drive up right when I was schooling my horse. He sat in his truck for a bit and then honked his horn twice. *Sigh*

You don't honk your horn 50-feet away from someone who is working with a horse, but I wouldn't expect anything less from these people. Their ignorance knows no bounds. Gabbrielle didn't spook, but it was difficult getting her attention back on me after that.

Then the woman came out of the house and walked up to the truck. I figured the man was stuck and needed help getting out of his truck. She took a bag and the dog from him, and then stood there talking to him for about 15 minutes. The whole time I was waiting for them to leave, so that I could get my horse's attention back on me and the lesson. I had to walk her, because by now she was all hyped up about the activity next door. She saw the plastic bag and the dog and wanted to start bouncing off the railings.

The woman finally went into the house while the man sat in his truck a little while longer until he mustered up the energy to make the 20-foot walk from his truck to the house. Gabbrielle finished out her lesson with lots of praise, and then did a mock lesson at the end so that I could do a photo shoot. She's such a talented model.

10 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

She looks great ! Glad you had a good lesson in spite of the interruptions

Paint Girl said...

Talented model and a gorgeous girl!!

Anonymous said...

I have goofy neighbors too, but I've made a decision to see these incidents as training opportunities, and while it sounds hokey, it HAS helped!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Anonymous - Good for you.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Gabbrielle is looking fantastic! Don't you just wish she'd stay that color now and not lighten up any more?

phaedra96 said...

I loooove dapple greys!! Too bad you cannot put some kind on preserver on her to stay that way forever!!! She is going to be your "go-to" horse in a few years....

Dreaming said...

Oooohhh, I love the flagged tail! She was feeling mighty fine! But it still looks like she was listening, at least a bit!

manker said...

every problem is an opportunity in work clothes... you're a better equestrienne due to those challenges... well done
happy trails
gp

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gabbrielle! She is just gorgeous...and not a little girl anymore....she's a full grown horse!
Good for her and you that you were able to get out and work together. I hope in a few weeks, you'll be on her back again. She's going to be your good girl. I just know it :)


~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh....and ps:

You had asked if our new neighbors put their modular next to our property line. No, the law here states no homes can be placed closer than 30' to a property line and these neighbors were even better. They placed their home at least 100ft from our property line, at the opposite side of their land, closer to the road over there (and electric pole, too)

They were also pretty good about placement in that it won't block out mountain views, and they are mostly tucked into the trees. The only window and place I can see there house from is our little backyard and kitchen nook. We'll probably put up a privacy coyote fence or a couple trees in that area eventually.

We knew they'd eventually move in, too. The husband is the brother of our neighbor behind our property and barn. We hardly ever see them as their house is tucked away into the trees and the wife has MS, so she's not able to get outside anyway. But one day over a year ago, I was outside behind the barn cleaning up cactus, and the brother was outside cutting grass and we talked about his brother owning the property next to ours.
They are all retired and the brother behind us is very private, and I'll bet the brother beside us will be the same, so I don't have any problems with them moving in. Except maybe that the house is rather ugly. lol!
You can't have everything, right?


~Lisa