Sunday, April 18, 2010

Job's Peak Hike

Saturday was the first day of my four-day vacation from work. I've got to take a couple of days off every now and then to maintain my sanity. In vacations past, I had great expectations to train Gabbrielle under saddle in my round pen, and then my neighbors started some noisy construction project that totally thwarted my plans. So, I was glad that I spent most of Saturday out on the trails riding Bombay, because when we got home, we got home to quite a racket. My next door neighbors had a construction crew over there and they were installing new windows on their house.

If my neighbors knew I was taking a vacation to work with my horses, I'd swear that they do this on purpose just to piss me off. But I know the reality is that they have probably been waiting for a sunny weekend to do this construction project just like I've been waiting for a sunny weekend to train my horses.

On Sunday, my son wanted to go on another hike/photography expedition with me. I wanted to check out some meadows in Hope Valley, California where my farrier said he likes to ride. I brought my camera with high hopes of being able to photograph some flowers, but it's way too early for that. The meadows were still covered in snow.

We stopped at Horsethief Canyon and considered hiking the trail, but I got a bad feeling about it. No other hikers were around, the mountain was very steep, it was cold because we were just below the snow pack level, and I knew there were mountain lions and bears coming out of hibernation probably visiting all the tributaries the run alongside the trail.

So, we opted to hike the well-traveled Job's Peak Ranch Trail closer to home. We live down there in that valley...

And over there in the tree line is where I rode Bombay the day before...

This was the start of the hike...





My son started getting bored, which usually leads to him getting silly and trying to ruin my photos...

But, as usual, he made them better.



Unfortunately, this isn't an equitation trail. It's got stairs...


I always know it's time to go home when he starts climbing trees...



Next time I'm wearing tennis shoes instead of hiking boots. My right boot nearly rubbed all the skin off the top of my second toe. I was amazed at the number of people over the age of 40 who passed us at a jog. I didn't even make it all the way to the top of the trail at a walk thanks to my boots, and these men and women passed me in both directions jogging. Wow.

I'm happy to know that when the noise gets too loud in my neighborhood, there are places I can go with my horses and dogs to experience some peace and quiet together. We drove around the corner to our home and the first thing I saw was the neighbors across the street unloading some large piece of machinery off a truck. I can hear it grinding away through the windows of my house right now. I think I'll load the horses up in the trailer and go somewhere more quiet this afternoon.

6 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

I have a couple of favorite places to hike. One is at the base of our mountains. It's safe. The other one is right across the highway and it is NOT safe to walk alone (yes...mountain lions!). Sometimes I just walk around the Living Desert (very safe & secure!)

Leah Fry said...

Man, I love your neck of the woods. Enjoy your mini vacation, whatever you end up doing.

fernvalley01 said...

Beautiful country , and your so is such fun!

Katharine Swan said...

Wow, that's gorgeous -- and your son is a hoot! Glad you had a good day and were able to get away from your crazy neighbors for a little while! Did you manage to take the horses elsewhere in the afternoon?

Paint Girl said...

What a beautiful place to take a hike!! So glad you got to get out and enjoy it!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh! Such beautiful hiking trails (begging for newly placed letterboxes, too *hint-hint*). Beautiful views in all directions, but those steps look more like a rope ladder laid out on the ground. I doubt I'd be able to get up there and climb them with my wonky knee. How frustrating!

I'm glad you're finding new ways to seek out your peace and relaxation during your vacation, because you deserve it. :)


~Lisa