Thursday, April 8, 2010

Time Well Spent

The last time I checked the weather, it was supposed to be nearly 70 degrees today with no wind, then on Friday the winds will pick up and a storm will come in over the weekend. A part of me wanted to take a sick day so badly, because I'm so very tired of being trapped indoors on the weekends by bad weather and trapped indoors on the weekdays by my job when the weather is beautiful.

Around 10:00 AM I noticed my screen door was creaking. Uh oh. That means the winds are coming in early. It was a quiet day at the office with half the staff out on their spring break, so I decided to spend my lunch break riding a horse. Since no one was home, I had to bring my trusty cell phone in case I ran into trouble. Since I had to make it a quick ride with a minimal amount of warm-up and training, I couldn't ride my green horse, Gabbrielle. Nor could I ride my mare with an attitude, Lostine. That left good old steady Eddie, Bombay.

I didn't know if I could pull it off as I am always shocked at how quickly an hour flies by. It seems that most days I simply fix myself some lunch, pick up the mail, answer the phone, and next thing I know my lunch break is over. I've been quite peeved with the number of people who have been interrupting my lunch break with phone calls lately. People learn that I don't like to have my work interrupted, so they start calling between noon and 1:00 PM thinking I won't mind having my lunch break interrupted, but in some ways that is worse. I get annoyed when people prevent me from doing my job, but I get really annoyed when people prevent me from resting or doing things I enjoy.

There's actually a funny story in that. One company, that shall remain nameless, keeps calling our house every other day with the same robo-call recording. I have chosen the option to be put on their No Call list twice, but they won't respect it. So, this one day I was trying to eat my lunch and trying to meet a deadline with my task at work both at the same time, and this call came in.

I was so angry for being interrupted with a recording I've heard so many times that I hear it in my nightmares, and when I was already multi-tasking and too busy to deal with it, so I screamed an obscenity into the phone just for the sole purpose of relieving my own frustration, and secretly hoping their recording was recording what I had said. I slammed down the receiver and in that very second, a delivery man appeared on my doorstep and rang the doorbell.

I was so embarrassed.

I had screamed that obscenity loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear. Fortunately, the delivery man just dropped the package and ran, so I didn't have to explain myself. My husband tells people not to interrupt me while I'm working, because I will rip their throat out. Of course, that's an exaggeration, but I'm sure the delivery man might believe it after hearing me scream at that sales recording on the phone.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to spend my lunch break outdoors with the horses where I don't have to hear the phone or doorbell ringing. My ride was wonderful until Lostine decided it was time for her lunch, and she started pinning her ears back at us, and then Gabbrielle decided it was her turn to be ridden, so she opened the gate and tried to let herself in, and then Bombay's stomach started growling very loudly. So, I ended my little hour of heaven to feed the horses.

When I got inside the house, I was happy to see that I had managed to squeeze the entire ride into one hour, which is all I had for my lunch break. I was especially fortunate to get through the entire ride without an audience, despite my neighbor's front door being open a crack. I needed to pick up my mail, and right when I was walking up the street to the community boxes, here came my nosy neighbor around the corner in her car heading for the mailboxes. Argh!

I can't stand running into people at the mailboxes, because I only have a minute to grab my mail before I have to return to work, and some of them want to chat while others just block me and prevent me from getting to my mailbox with their vehicles. I live in a neighborhood filled with unemployed, self-employed, and retired people who seem to have nothing better to do than to walk or drive around all day looking for someone to entertain them.

I let out a mutterance (my own invented word) of exasperation, and my neighbor must have known by the expression on my face that I did not want to deal with her, so after slowing down to think about it, she then swerved away and drove past the mailboxes and will probably pick up her mail later. I suppose I looked a little like an angry chestnut mare pinning my ears back to tell her to stay out of my space.

If you think about how it only takes one minute to pick up your mail, and how many minutes there are in a day, and that there are only 10 mailboxes, the chances are pretty slim that you would collide with someone else in the exact same second while picking up your mail (unless, of course, the person is stalking you and trying to purposefully run into you). Yet lately these neighbors (husband and wife) have been picking up their mail at the exact same time as me. I suppose I should change my routine so that I can keep them guessing. If I change it radically and still run into them, I'll know I'm being stalked for sure.

Of course, it doesn't help them to make their sudden appearances seem innocent when I catch them looking in my windows all the time.

Perhaps I should start riding my horses to the mailbox. That would definitely give me the right-of-way. Cars and pedestrians are supposed to yield to horses. Although drivers are supposed to stop for pedestrians too, but drivers rarely do that around here... unless the pedestrian pins her ears back and bares her teeth.

7 comments:

JeniQ said...

Ohhh a lunch time ride! What a great way to spend it!

I *strongly dislike* your neighbors and I don't even know them!

Have a great Friday!
~Jeni

fernvalley01 said...

Glad you got a ride in , we are in the midst of a spring snow storm here , so maybe we will burn it out before it heads your way. I always giggle when US news stations call your bad weather things like the"Canadian Clipper"

Breathe said...

Gosh, maybe it's time to hand off mail runs to the kids!

Leah Fry said...

I am 43 miles from home at lunch time during the week, so all I can do is long for them. It also seems to take me a long time to get my gear outside and get one cleaned up and saddled up.

I was playing computer Scrabble last weekend and when I got my tiles, guess what it spelled? Lostine! I even took a screenshot for you, but don't have your email address, so I'll just have to tell you about it.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Good for you! That's a lovely way to spend a lunch hour.

CTG Ponies said...

Oh how I wish I could sneak in a lunchtime ride but then I wouldn't want to go back to work ;)
And I hate nosey neighbors. I hope you have some nice weather this weekend so you can ride. We've had some very hot weather (way too early in the year) in the high 80s but a storm blew thru and it's very pleasant and in the 60s. Perfect for riding!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww...sweet photo of Bombay. He would never pin his ears at anyone, so you better not ride him to your mailboxes. lol!

I'm glad you were able to fit in some ride time and hope as the weather keeps getting better, you find more time for riding.

We have those cluster community mailboxes located across the county road from our house, and I can honestly say that in the 3 years we've lived here, I've never been to the mailboxes when someone else was there or when someone else showed up. And there are over 20 boxes, too. Is that weird?

~Lisa