Thursday, May 20, 2010

Santa Barbara Horse Show: Best Smile

When I got home and reviewed my photographs of the Santa Barbara Arabian and Half-Arabian Horse Show, I found a lot of cranky looking riders whose frowns spoiled a lot of otherwise good shots. You are riding on a beautiful horse. What's so bad about that? The competition is secondary. Sharing a bond with such a glorious animal is a privilege. Here's one gal who seems to understand that. She grinned from ear to ear in all of her photos, communicating her joy to the audience, the judges, and best of all, her horse...



She's also one of the few who looked ahead to where she was going instead of glaring at the back of the horse's head or staring down the judges in the center of the ring. This is true beauty in motion.

6 comments:

Promise said...

That horse is stunning...and yes, she looks great, too. Even better that she's smiling.

I remember it being difficult to remember to smile in the show ring...I was always concentrating so hard I would forget unless I saw the photographer about to take my picture.

fernvalley01 said...

She sure does look happy , and what a gorgeous horse!

Katharine Swan said...

You're right, she does look really happy. But I have to say, when I danced as a kid we would have shows several times a year, and it's harder to keep a smile on your face than you'd think. It doesn't always mean they are unhappy or cranky or too competitive, it's just hard to smile when you are really focused on something.

JeniQ said...

It is EXTREMELY hard to smile when you are focused as much as it takes to be in a show ring, or dance stage, etc.

The looking where you are going is correct riding, the judge should be your "glance". Smiling is something I had to, and still do practice.

I actually find myself with a headache after a lesson... It's because I'm clenching my jaw =(

Stephanie said...

I am loving all the picturesyou took while at the horse show! Just lovely!

I agree with you about the smiling, it just makes me feel so good when I see a rider smiling with joy.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

She certainly looks good with that smile on her face. It gives an appearance of confidence too. Such a lovely horse!