Friday, June 11, 2010

Horses Do Feel Guilt

I've noticed that Lostine has been behaving oddly lately. She's on edge. If I reach out to pet her, she jumps and shies away as if she thinks I am going to hit her. However, I don't beat my horses. I punched her in the shoulder once when she bit me while I was tightening her cinch, but that was a long time ago, and I shoo her away by waving my arms when she gets too pushy. That's about it. Nothing recent has happened that should make her fear me.

I began wondering if that whole truck/motorcycle/ATV/model airplane experience at the Fairgrounds reduced her to a permanent nervous wreck. Then my son came inside and said, "Do you know why there are two big holes in the barn?"

LOSTINE!!! YOU BAD HORSE!

She knew she was doing something bad by destroying the barn and she was just waiting for me to find out and chastise her. That's what all this guilty behavior was about.

She chewed these holes from the inside out during the night.

Here are all the splinters inside her stall.

This is the inside of her door where she has been pawing.

This is the outside of Bombay's stall next to her door, which is where I catch her chewing when she wants in. This horse just can't decide if she wants to be in or out. If I put her in, she tries to chew her way out. If I keep her out, she tries to chew her way in. Perhaps I need to permanently leave the door to her stall open and let her use it when she pleases. It might save me some work and money.

6 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

How frustrating!Mybe a run in shed would work for her? Or like you said just treat her stall that way

Once Upon an Equine said...

She was a mare on a mission! That's quit the remodel job for one night.

Katharine Swan said...

At that speed, she'll have an opening she can fit through in about two weeks! LOL

I think leaving her stall open sounds like a really good idea.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Can she go in and out of her stall? Nadia chews on wood when she gets the chance. i use old motor oil and paint the wood. It works better than chew stop.

Lulu said...

OOohhhhheeee! That chewing (and pawing) would have me HOT!!! In fact, I'm pretty sure I'd return the favor with some hot sauce on the spots she likes to chew!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Eeeks! Looks like she has too much time on her hooves.

Too bad you don't have a horse walker to keep her occupied.

I don't stall Apache unless we have really bad winter weather. Her stall and pen are always open for her to go in and out of, along with the 2 acres of her small paddock and large paddock.
I've never seen her chew wood yet. The only damage she causes is to a couple shrubs in her paddocks that she uses as belly scratchers. lol!


~Lisa