Monday, July 12, 2010

Attack of the Wooden Pallet

Since it was such a busy weekend and I was unable to spend any time with the horses, I let them out to graze on dregs around the haystack. This new hay may look nice, but I don't like it. It's basically loose sticks of grass with virtually no alfalfa, and you can't just pick up a flake and carry it to the feed trough. Once you cut open a bale, it just collapses into a loose pile of dry grass. You need a pitchfork and wheelbarrow to transport it. When I try to carry an armful of it, the majority ends up on the ground and down my top. So, I just have to let the horses out to eat what fell on the ground.

They like to stick their noses between the slats on the wooden pallets and eat whatever alfalfa from the old hay fell through there.

Gabbrielle was burying her nose in one pallet and when she lifted her head, the entire wooden pallet came up attached to her nose! Oh shoot! I knew she was going to freak out and cause a wreck, and I'd have to get the vet out here on another weekend emergency call. Dang! And all I wanted to do was spend a little time relaxing with the horses. I've been trying to lay low lately, because every little thing I do results in a complete fiasco. I figure if I do nothing, I can't cause any additional problems. Who knew innocently letting the horses graze could result in yet another disaster?

The second that Gabbrielle's head came up with that pallet attached to her face, a bunch of fire trucks and police vehicles raced past our house with their sirens on, startling her even worse. She threw her head up in the air and the pallet flew off her nose, did a flip, and landed upside down in the exact spot where it had previously been placed. Good trick, Gabbrielle.

I could see she was quite upset. When I tried to approach her to examine her muzzle, she turned her rear at me. She continued to turn her rear at me as I tried walking around to her head. I gave her my sympathy voice to let her know that I just wanted to make sure she was okay, and she turned to face me. Not a scratch. Her muzzle came out of it in one piece.

I decided to move the pallet and just let them eat what was underneath it. The horses popped their heads up every now and then when another siren raced past the house. I'm sure whatever was going on will be in the morning paper. I'm just glad it wasn't me and my horse making the news. I need a lot less excitement in my life.

12 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Glad Gbrielle wasn't hurt .Sometimes the things they get into and out of unscathed will make your hair stand on end, then they get cut up on air! That last picture is stunning ! you have a great eye

Breathe said...

What talent! Gabrielle could be a circus horse - granted, she'd be traumatized nightly...

It's time to burn some candles and work on the feng shei. Smudging. Something. Way too many July catastrophes and it's only the 12th!

Mikey said...

Amen to that. Don't horses do the dangedest things? Glad it wasn't worse, but it was close!

Paint Girl said...

I am happy to hear that Gabrielle didn't get hurt!! I can totally picture that in my head, and with all the siren noise in the background could have made it so much worse!
The alfalfa we have been getting sounds like your hay, it is really good hay, but when you try to break off a flake, it just falls apart. It is so leafy, there is nothing holding it together. It is a real pain trying to feed it to Chance! She is the only one who gets alfalfa, so I only have to deal with it once a day!

Leah Fry said...

Things that you never imagined might be hazards rear their ugly heads when you least expect it. I never realized the world was so full of horse-eating objects.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, you couldn't foresee a hazard with pallets on the ground and loose horses? No wonder so many things happen to you and your horses!

Callie said...

Good grief! Glad she didn't injure herself, the last thing you need is another injury, but I will say this, would have made a hell of a video, LOL!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yet another Anonymous who is too much of a sociopath to care about another person's feelings, willing to leave snide remarks, but unwilling to leave a name to stand behind what she said and stick around to see the consequences of her actions. My horses have been grazing around pallets for over 10 years without incident until now. I encounter more hazards out trail riding.

Jeni said...

NM that last picture is amazing!! That is one for framing!

Glad the goofy mare didn't hurt herself...

Oh and Anonymous.. My horses WALK on pallets like they are bridges! No biggie.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I finally found out what all those sirens were about. A drunk driver with a suspended license driving a Cadillac rammed into the back of a Mercedes at 65 MPH, both cars flipped over onto their roofs, and the drunk got out and started running through an alfalfa field to elude capture.

baystatebrumby said...

The guy who lives where I board my horse says that if there is trouble to get into, my horse will be the one to find it. Sounds like you have a little bit of my horse in Gabbrielle! Poor thing!That must have hurt, having a pallet hanging off her nose!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Lucky girl...not even a splinter?

I imagine the pallet hanging off her nose would have made quite an unusual photo. heheh!

Who Nose? The Pallet Nose!

lol! Oh man...I crack myself up!

~Lisa


word verification: odyino

An odd looking drunk.