Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fishing Trip

I didn't get any riding in this weekend, but my son and I did catch a meal. We went fishing on the West Walker River.

I caught two fish and they both got away, so I turned my fishing hole over to my son, and he caught a nice one. A short time later I caught a smaller fish that really should have been thrown back, but it swallowed the hook and I couldn't save it. I was hoping to catch three fish, so each of us could have something to eat, but as it got closer to the middle of the day, the fish just stopped biting.

I finally gave up and let my son talk me into going home after I fell down for the umpteenth time and my favorite pair of needle nose pliers fell out of my creel down into a hole between two boulders. I risked getting bitten by snakes and spiders by reaching down there to retrieve them.

The West Walker River has an interesting story behind it. My family vacationed at a resort that we called "The Ranch" every summer while I was growing up. I have fond memories of fishing there, playing with the horses in the pasture, catching and releasing Gardner snakes and lying in our cots cracking jokes and laughing until we fell asleep.

Then one year there was a huge flood that washed away all the cabins at "The Ranch". This flood was of epic proportions. It carved a whole new path. They had to build a new highway to respect the new path of the river and even poured concrete to try to keep the river in place. As a result, the river banks are now treacherous. They are steep with unstable sand and lined with gigantic boulders that one must traverse to get to the river. That's why I kept falling down. I mostly slipped down the side of the river bank when sand gave out from under me, but my last fall was on those huge boulders. So, my shins slammed down on rock. I was pretty beat up by the end of the day thinking that riding horses is less dangerous than fishing. ; )

After I cleaned the fish at home and laid them side by side, I realized that my son caught a Rainbow Trout while I caught a German Brown. My father always coveted those German Browns, tossing back all the Rainbows he caught. I used to try to catch a German Brown to make him happy, but never could. While I was fishing today, I could hear my father's voice saying, "Throw your line in there. Let it ride the current downstream. Now stop. You got a nibble. Give the line a yank..."

I wouldn't be surprised if he were behind helping me catch that German Brown. He's on the other side now. He passed away several years ago.

Here are some photos I took of some interesting flowers I saw on our trip. Don't ask me what they are. I blew up this picture on my computer and was surprised to see that there was a bug I've never seen before crawling on the right side of the flower.




4 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Except for the falls it sounds liek a lovely day . Good times spent with your son, pretty flowers ,good food and a little love from beyond from your Dad

Fantastyk Voyager said...

A good day fishing...
Glad you had a good time with your son. I'll bet the trout tasted good too.

Maia said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all, falls aside, and a tasty meal to end it. Your pictures look good,

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Beautiful floral photos all.

I'm glad you had a nice afternoon fishing with your son.

My Father was not a fisherman, but my graandfather was and I have fond memories of fishing beside him. I, too used to spend summers with my grandfather and grandmother in Illinois at a place we called Big Lake. They had an old rustic cabin with an outhouse that we all stayed in. I used to ride a bike up and down the old dirt roads, and jump into the lake from an old tire swing. Sometimes we'd take the old 'party' boat across the lake to a little island so we could have a picnik and adventure.

When I was a teenager living in Maryland, one summer I found out that the entire area around the lake got flooded by the creeks leding into it and all the cabins were destroyed.

We never went back to the cabin again.

You just reminded me of those special days. Thanks for the bringing it all back.

~Lisa

word verification: recula

This is what happens with dracula gets into a car accident. He has a recula.