Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Photo Finish

I am so relieved to have finally completed my online photography course. Now I can concentrate on setting up my studio and doing a marketing campaign. My photography education has not ended with the course, but I am still learning something new everyday and burying myself in books on the subject. I'm covering the art, the science, and the business of photography.

For weeks I've been trying to get a portrait of myself with my best camera in hand, but either I've been too busy or the weather has been bad or I was dripping sweat and didn't want my picture taken. My son managed to capture this photo of me in a quick 3-minute photo shoot, which was all the time we had to spare. The sun was low enough in the sky that I couldn't face it without squinting, so I turned to the side and looked through my viewfinder letting my hair take the brunt of the sun to fix the problem.

I'm taking a week off from work to set up my studio, which will fix the problem of not being able to shoot outdoors in bad weather. I can also get control of the lighting instead of having to rely on the location of the sun, the clouds, and whatever happens to be reflecting or absorbing light in the outdoor setting.

I'm turning my spa room turned tack room into a photography studio. The room is a mess, so we've been removing junk from it a little at a time. I donated all the boxes of clothing that have been sitting in it to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. I don't think I'm ever going to be the size I was in college ever again. We had a huge grapefruit tree that my husband grew from a seed sitting in that room for years. We couldn't put it outside, because it wouldn't survive in Nevada's climate. My husband surprised me by tossing it. Now I have to throw out stacks of old magazines, find different storage for the remaining items, repaint the walls white, tear up the carpet, install new lighting, and purchase some backdrops, props, light diffusers and reflectors.

There's so much to do. I need to hire an accountant to handle taxes and obtain the appropriate business, equipment and liability insurance before I start taking on customers. I need to find a variety of models to volunteer to help beef up my portfolio. My horses and dogs are getting tired of having a camera in their faces all the time. Starting a photography business has been a long road and I know it is even longer than I can perceive at the moment, but I'm enjoying it.

13 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Yay for you ! a week of , finished your course ! And btw ,very nice picture girl .You are a cutie!

Sydney_bitless said...

Good luck! I would love to have the space to be able to do portraits!

Mrs Mom said...

You Go NuzMuz!!!

Your son needs to join you in the biz, me thinks! ;) You've shared some fabulous shots from him on here, as well as some wonderful work of your own! Apple didn't fall too far from the tree there, did it? ;)

Looking forward to seeing more pix from you!

Stephanie said...

Wonderful pic of you with your camera! I am so excited for you and happy that you are taking the leap into turning your photography love into a business.

Too bad i'm not closer... I'd volunteer model for you. Only about a 26hour drive! LOL!!

Farm Girl said...

Hi, check out this link to a local photographer's site. He does such beautiful portraits, using only natural window light, or outdoors.
Your son did a beautiful job with you and your camera also.

Farm Girl said...

Oh, I forgot the link! Here it is
http://www.kipmay.com/

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Congrats! How exciting!

Does this also mean that you'll be having clients come to your home for their photography sessions? Are you going to be ok with that, and the parking, noise, dogs barking, horses spooking, nosy neighbors being nosy? Will you need a special license to work from home?
Oh my! So much to plan for. I don't think I could ever have a studio in my home. I treasure my privacy so much. It would bug me if my customers needed to use my restroom....and had to traipse through my house to get there, and what if they caused the toilet to overflow. Nasty!

What an exciting and interesting journey this will be for you. Lots of blog fodder, I'm sure. lol!


~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh...and I love your hair style now. You look so lovely!


~Lisa

Breathe said...

I did modeling for a local photographer that shoots stock photos. He often pays models just in head shots (I took cash, since I wasn't trying to get gigs).

Here are two sites with stock photos. I don't know if they might help, but worth a shot (pun intended, as always).

veer.com
gettyimages.com

Love your pic! I think you should start by taking photos of your neighbors. :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks for the links, Breathe and Farm Girl.

Lisa - I'd be surprised if I had that much business. I can't quit my day job until I get at least 20 hours a week of work, which probably isn't going to happen in a recession. The studio is a last resort backup if I can't take my equipment elsewhere.

I've had a license to operate out of my home for several months now. You know how my county gives out business licenses like candy the way I'm surrounded by construction workers who run power tools 24/7 without a care in the world about how the neighbors feel. I'm sure they can't complain about someone visiting my home once every few months. There shouldn't be any noise. If I know someone is coming, I put the dogs in a location where they won't know what's going on. Plus I'd be surprised if Monty lives another 48 hours. He's on his death bed.

The restroom is right next to the studio and I plan to close off the rest of the house. I'm definitely not okay with strangers in my house. I've had too many of them case the joint and come back later to try to break in. We still have high flush toilets, and quite frankly, if someone clogged my toilet, I'd hand them a plunger and send them the plumber bill if they can't unclog it themselves. If they want water, I'll have bottled water ready in the studio so I don't have to leave them alone with my equipment while I go to the kitchen. I've thought a lot of this out. Also, any animals I'm allergic to will definitely not come to the studio. They'll be photographed off site so that all I have to do is take an antihistamine, shower, wash my clothes and have that be the end of it.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like you've done your homework, but still it promises to be quite an adventure. I can't wait to follow along and cheer you on and laugh with you when the funny things happen.

I'm so sorry about Monty. Poor guy. It must be hard for you, but also a relief considering how uncomfortable he's been for so long.

~Lisa

word verification: flame

weird. I rarely ever get real words. lol!

Maia said...

Welcome to the club. You look great. I know you're going to be a success and I can hardly wait to read that your told that ass.... boss of your when he can take his demands and what he can do with then when he gets there.

Katharine Swan said...

I've been out of touch for a little while, and look how much I've missed! I think it's great that you are starting a photography business, and WOW that is a great picture of you with your camera! That definitely needs to be on your website or whatever. ;o)