Friday, August 13, 2010

Staycation Postponed

So, I postponed my staycation one week for a variety of reasons. The main reason is because I had planned to use that week to make a bunch of appointments regarding the setting up of my new business. I wanted to meet with a financial adviser and an insurance agent, things I can't do while I'm on my day job. I also wanted to see a new doctor who can help me get my blood pressure under control, but my job has kept me so busy that I haven't been able to get a moment during business hours to make the outgoing calls to set up the appointments. I needed another week just to get all that squared away.

Also, one of my neighbors is still painting his garage and house, and the painter drives a jeep with a really loud engine, making dozens of trips behind my barn each day. I didn't want any of his noises spooking my horses while I am riding them.

Insanity has taken over my life again. We discovered a foul up with my daughter's student loan, and we had to scramble to correct it so that she could keep her job and stay in school.

I went out to get the mail and found an appointment card for a dental appointment. The appointment was for my son, it landed right in the middle of his first day of school and my first day of staycation. I nearly flipped my lid! Our insurance does not cover the majority of the cost of our dental cleanings, yet my dentist insists we come in every six months. That gets really expensive for a family of four. It makes me crazy. These appointments almost always land on the week I take a staycation to get some rest, and then I end up spending my time sitting in a dentist's office instead. I immediately picked up the phone and said, "We need to push this appointment out as far as it will go, because I am overwhelmed with being over-scheduled right now. I am also not willing to pull my son out of school for a teeth cleaning." That fixed it. I bought us three more months.

Everything at our house has been breaking. First, our brand new dishwasher broke for the third time. Then we had car trouble. Then our security light broke. This weekend I have to take my car into the shop for multiple repairs. The mechanic said he doubted they could get it all done in one trip, so I'll probably have to bring the car back in the following weekend too! Summer is almost over. I can't spend every weekend driving into the city to see the mechanic. I need to be riding my horses so that I don't go insane.

That was all the trouble leading up to Friday, and then Friday morning I woke up and found Bombay limping around with a bump on his nose. I started cursing, because I had high hopes to start riding him soon. I looked at his legs, and they weren't swollen, but he popped a splint on the inside of his left front leg. It obviously wasn't the result of me over-working him, because I haven't been working him at all, so it must be that he suffered some kind of blow during the night.

I was trying to deal with him when we had another emergency at work and my phone started ringing off the hook and instant messages started popping up on my computer left and right. I was so torn, because I needed to work on Bombay's leg, but this is like the umpteenth time I have had to take time off from work due to a horse being injured and my employer is losing patience with me. I kept looking out the window as I was talking on the phone, hoping to catch my neighbor to ask her to tend to Bombay's leg while I dealt with the emergency at the office. She wasn't around, though.

When I got a break from the office communications, I ran outside to find Gabbrielle flat on her side. Oh bleep. I ran over to her and saw she was covered in flies. I ran to the horse trailer, grabbed the fly spray, ran back to her, sprayed her all over while she laid there, and when I was done, she hopped up and shook herself off. She was fine. She was just soaking in the sun, but scared the bleep out of me. I rubbed some DMSO on Bombay's splint, then ran back into the house to field more communications.

Because I was multi-tasking at such a rapid pace, I was making mistakes and my coworkers were getting mad at me. They wasted more of my time questioning me on why I didn't find this problem sooner. I wanted to say something to the effect of, "Have you ever tried putting out a fire, performing CPR on a person, answering a phone, and relieving yourself all at the same time? That's what my life is like every day... figuratively, of course, but not too far from the truth."

It cracks me up, because most days my husband comes home from work and says, "Did you read about such-and-such in the news?" and I give him this look that says, "Are you crazy? Do you actually have time to read the news at your job during the day?"

In the meantime, I had set several balls in action on other projects and everything was coming to a head. I was beyond overwhelmed. Basically, I found an adorable older Wiener Dog I want to adopt, but he's in California. I inquired about him and found out that he just had surgery to remove a bladder stone and is recovering in a foster home. The foster owners were considering adopting him, but when I showed an interest, they said they were willing to give him up to me. I had to make special arrangements with the shelter to meet the little guy. I didn't want to rush his recovery, though. Anyway, I was on the phone with the animal control officer when my boss called on another line, and I had to ask him to call back. Ironically, both people I was speaking to had the same name, so they were confused over who I was asking to hang up. I was thinking, "Could this get any more awkward or ridiculous?"

I know I should have just not picked up the second line, but the animal control officer had me on hold, so I thought I had time to answer. Anyway, I started having things go haywire on me. My cell phone was cutting off calls and my Internet was cutting in and out, so I couldn't complete any instant message communications. All these people were trying to talk to me at the same time, and I just wanted to run out of the house screaming and tearing my hair out.

On top of that, I've got three people fighting over my horse manure and I've been trying to sort that out in a fair manner. I took out another ad for it, thinking it would be as simple as one person coming by in a couple of trips to pick it up, but now I find myself having to field inquiries about it and rescheduling pick ups every day. If I knew getting rid of my manure was going to turn into a full time job, I would have just eaten it. (Not really. I just wanted to see how close you were reading this long, frantic post.)

Then right when I was talking to my boss about a critical issue, someone walked right past my NO TRESPASSING signs and rang my doorbell, getting my dog into a barking fit while I was trying to explain this issue to my boss. I had to leave him to go answer the door, but I only got it open enough to to see it was an older woman I don't know before my dog tried to bust through the door to bite her. I blurted out an expletive and shut the door on the dog's head to avoid a lawsuit.

I pulled the dog out and shut the door in her face, my son carried the dog to a back room where he could lock her up and I asked him to find out what the woman wants, because I was in the middle of talking to my boss. It turned out the lady was a neighbor I didn't know and she wanted to borrow a pack of matches because she was having a barbecue and had nothing to start the fire. You know, I don't think I have ever had the time to have a barbecue in my entire life. I can't wait to be retired like her.

Throughout all this insanity, my son helped me out by picking up some lunch for us, so that I wouldn't have to stop everything to make something. Now I have to go finish the laundry I started this morning and never got to finish with all the interruptions. I checked on Bombay earlier and it seemed that the lump on the inside of his cannon bone receded, which is surprising. Maybe he just has a bad bruise. I think it's time I hire someone to live my life for me, so I can get a break. Dang! I just realized... it's Friday the 13th! Well, that explains everything.


Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow! Well tomorrow is another day and not Friday the thirteenth, so hopefully everything will sort itself out. Hang in there.

Reddunappy said...

All I could think while reading your post Nuzz Muzz, was breath, breathe!! Wow you have a full plate woman. NO wonder you enjoy those solitary rides so much.
((eyes closed))just go to my happy place,Just go to my happy place....

I sure hope you can go there soon.
Hang in there!!

Katharine Swan said...

Good grief! That's quite a day. You know, I think you should probably get in the habit of telling people to go (as you would say) bleep themselves. It might not make you very popular, but you'd have more time with your horses! >:-D

Leah Fry said...

That's also a great explanation of your high blood pressure. I swear, I don't know how you do it. Super Woman, I tell ya.

fernvalley01 said...

Holy crap! you have been figurativley "eating manure" already! What a day/week!Hope you are able to get some down time soon

Crystal said...

Wow, Im exhausted just reading about your life! You need a break just to get everything done, whew.

Mikey said...

Good heavens!!! My therapist would tell you to pull a stick out of your leg.... that's insane. I don't know how you do it!!! I would have run screaming for sure...

Cheryl Ann said...

Dang, girl! You need a clone. Make that 3 clones! I thought my schedule was frantic! I'm behind on the dishes, the laundry, and my house looks like @#$%! I've been running up the mountain to work with the horses every morning and by the time I get home and eat lunch, it is 109 degrees here and I konk out for the afternoon!

TCavanaugh said...

and you want to add another business to all of this? Wow! :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

The idea behind the business is to bring in enough income that I can quit my day job and be my own boss. Sometimes the way out is through the fire.